It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M6A5?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:34 pm 
Piston CPL

Any updates on the status of the A5? Time frame, options?

William Penn

Post subject: Re: M6A5?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:05 am 
Super Ninja Piston Warrior. Pow!

I've been wondering the same thing!! Its my background on my home screen so I get to drool over it a few times a day!!

Rand Paul-2016!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:11 am 
Piston CPL

I know this is one reason why most manufacture's don't forecast a release date, but I've been putting off the A3 in hopes that the A5 will be a reality soon.
Just speculation here, but I fear since LWRC is working on submitting a rifle to DOD. The A5 may have taken a back burner. From a business stand point I can understand if that is the case.
I was hoping with the additional facility at APG it would have freed up a log jam for projects like this.

All hopes and speculation, I really don't know squat!

William Penn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:23 am 
Piston Private

Isn't the M6A5 supposed to have a completely ambidextrous lower receiver a la the SR-15? I've always liked that design, even if it's not mirrored 100%. If I didn't buy a full rifle, I'd definitely get a 5.56mm M6A5 lower. From what's been leaked, they've changed the lower design on the 6.8mm guns to allow for the use of their own polymer magazines.

If you wonder why companies don't comment on products until their release is imminent, just look at the Osbourne-1 computer and it's announced successor. People didn't buy the -1 and waited for the -2, it bankrupted the entire company.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:58 am 

Guys, you need to stop speculating based on your impatient imagination and even more importantly, STOP POSTING bogus speculations. This is how internet myths are created and reputations are soiled. By the time some LWRC hater has re-posted what they have read here they will make it sound like the A5 was promised by [insert date here] and that they have put it on the back burner to compete in the Army Carbine Replacement RFP (making it sound like they are turning their backs on the civilian market to pursue military contracts just like HK, Colt, FN, etc.). All you are doing is creating more controversy. I would hate for LWRC to stop providing us with information on what is over the horizon because of something like this.

Also, I didn't think LWRC had a new facility at APG (as stated by straightshooter556 above). I'm pretty sure the "facility" you might be thinking of is Anniston Army Depot (http://kitup.military.com/2011/04/lwrc-to-team-with-anniston-army-depot-for-carbine-builds.html) and it is not theirs to use for manufacturing anything but military contracted materiel (once they receive a contract). At least that's how I understand it based on the following quote from the above article:

“To alleviate the concerns or fears that the Army might have about our production capacity, we’ve entered into a teaming arrangement with the Anniston Army Depot,” officials from LWRC told Kit

I don't think anyone from LWRC has stated that they were going to expand their manufacturing capability for the commercial market into this military facility because I'm almost sure that Uncle Sugar would not look kindly upon it (especially with the dumboKrats in power).

The A5 will get here when it gets here. I too am awaiting its arrival but I realize that the guys at Cambridge will not release it until it is ready (which is what I expect from LWRC). JM2CW.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:08 pm 
Piston CPL

Carlos, take it easy man :yeah: . My last line said " I really don't know squat". However, I do understand where you're coming from. Not trying to cause problems just anxious for a new toy. A little bone from LWRC would be much appreciated, haven't heard anything on this is since SHOT. BTW, I stand corrected you are correct sir, it is Anniston.

William Penn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:12 pm 

[caesar millan/] shhhhtttt [/caesar millan]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:24 pm 

Why wait? If you follow that logic you will be waiting forever. Just get what you want now then save for the A5. Don't fool yourself into thinking you will only have 1 LWRC.

-Watterson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:16 pm 
Piston Private Recruit

Not sure if this helps or not, but I contacted CS via email a couple months back and also inquired about the status of the A5 and was told it was approx. 5 - 6 months out yet....5.56 being the first caliber.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:12 pm 
Piston Private Recruit

Dreaded Snowmen wrote:
Why wait? If you follow that logic you will be waiting forever. Just get what you want now then save for the A5. Don't fool yourself into thinking you will only have 1 LWRC.

^THIS

I got an A3 a few weeks ago and I am so impressed I can tell you it'll only be the first!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:29 pm 
Super Ninja Piston Expert

gravis86 wrote:
Dreaded Snowmen wrote:

^THIS

I got an A3 a few weeks ago and I am so impressed I can tell you it'll only be the first!

My second one on the way just about a year and a half prior to my first LWRC.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:20 am 
Super Ninja Piston Expert

whenever it is released..

is the a5 just an a3 without the front sight attached the gas block?

and are they all coming with the ambi-lower from shot show, or was that just the demo?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:49 am 

A3 - Normal, Suppressed, Adverse, Off. 4 positions.

A5 - Normal, Suppressed. 2 positions.

That's as far as the upper goes, the ambi lower was first developed as a dedicated 6.8 lower that's meant for dedicated 6.8 mags like the polymer one developed by LWRC, although Darren did confirm a 5.56 version is planned/being developed/worked on.

Whether the A5 will just be a different upper or ship as a whole rifle, I don't know. I'd expect the latter since the prototype at SHOT 2011 had a matching billet upper and lower, but there's nothing to say that the A5 piston and barrel assembly can't work in a regular shaped/functioning upper like 99% of other AR-15s on the market.

I suppose it will come down to either which is more cost effective, or an option between the two, with the ambi lower costing more.

EDIT: Correction, the Billet upper and matching ambi lower are not M6A5 exclusive, since there was an M6A2-PSD also shown with the new upper and lower set at SHOT 2011.

You are the Resistance.

Last edited by Snake on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:43 am 

A5 is a totally different regulator system.