It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bolt Catch Not Working on REPR 16 *Fixed*
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:31 pm 
Piston Private Recruit

I'm new to the board and this is my first LWRC.

I bought the rifle today and the bolt catch isn't actually catching the bolt. I tried manually locking it back using both catches without success. I inserted an empy mag, pulled the bolt to the rear and it remained in the locked position. When I removed the mag the bolt went home. I cleaned off all lube and still no joy. Am I missing something? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:33 am 
Piston Private Recruit

After looking at the rifle, I noticed the bolt wasn't coming back far enough to catch, by less than a quarter inch. I took a Slash buffer out of one of my AR-10s and swapped it out with the one in the REPR and now it locks very time. I'm going on vacation to Northern Idaho in a few days and I'll post some updates with range reports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:50 pm 
Generalissimo of the Piston Revolution

The rifle is brand new from the factory w/o any type of modifications done and had this issue? It required a non-factory buffer to resolve the issue? VERY STRANGE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:28 pm 
Piston Private

yeah this doesnt sound right

Post subject: Re: Bolt Catch Not Working on REPR 16 *Fixed*
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:17 pm 
Piston Private

Gunfighter-06 wrote:
I'm new to the board and this is my first LWRC.

I bought the rifle today and the bolt catch isn't actually catching the bolt. I tried manually locking it back using both catches without success. I inserted an empy mag, pulled the bolt to the rear and it remained in the locked position. When I removed the mag the bolt went home. I cleaned off all lube and still no joy. Am I missing something? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Call LWRC and let them know. You might have to send it back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:42 pm 
Piston Private Recruit

So, I went by the shop I bought it from and told them about the issue. They said they had swapped out buffers with another customer's rifle who was getting some custom work done, in order to meet his deadline. They're offered to get another buffer from LWRC, but I was able to work out a different deal with them that worked out better for me anyway.

It's sad to say, but I've always enjoyed doing business with these guys and this one incident will most likely cause me to go elsewhere in the future. I'm a little irritated that I bought a $3600 NIB rifle from them and they didn't bother to mention they had swapped something, nor did they even bother to test the rifle to see if the new part allowed the rifle to function properly. Anyway, case closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:55 pm 
Piston Sergant

Gunfighter-06 wrote:
So, I went by the shop I bought it from and told them about the issue. They said they had swapped out buffers with another customer's rifle who was getting some custom work done, in order to meet his deadline. They're offered to get another buffer from LWRC, but I was able to work out a different deal with them that worked out better for me anyway.

It's sad to say, but I've always enjoyed doing business with these guys and this one incident will most likely cause me to go elsewhere in the future. I'm a little irritated that I bought a $3600 NIB rifle from them and they didn't bother to mention they had swapped something, nor did they even bother to test the rifle to see if the new part allowed the rifle to function properly. Anyway, case closed.

Wow that is totally unprofessional. It's not like it's some standard AR-15. Glad you found what was causing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:56 pm 
Super Ninja Piston Expert
 YIM  Profile

Yeah, those guys sound like tools.

I wouldn't let them being a little on the douchy side put me off a good deal though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:11 am 
Piston CPL

Gunfighter-06 wrote:

I'm glad you were able to work a deal in the end, but those guys would never see another dime of my business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:17 am 

"Oh, your new 911 Turbo isn't starting? Well we kinda forgot to mention we took the ignition system out for some guys' "custom" Miata. What do you want us to do about it?"

If you could tell me where this place is, and possibly the name, I'd gladly avoid it for all eternity.

Chances are pretty good I'll never have to bet my life on a $140,000 sports car, but the same may not be true for a rifle.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Last edited by Live Ordnance on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:31 am 

Do please state the name of the shop... I hope it is not a reputable dealer on this forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:43 am 

Hope you check the rest of the rifle, somebody could be walking around with your trigger group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:40 am 

the bad thing is that this just makes you wonder how many times and to how many customers they have done this to in the past. and they didnt forget to mention this. if you didnt bring it to their attention they would have NEVER said anything to you and nor are they ever going to tell any other customers that they feel it is "ok " to just screw around with other customers product.

we as professionals and custometrs deserve to know the name of this store so we do not take our business to them for OUR OWN SAFETY.

you as a customer how got screwed and didnt even know it should not hesitate to tell us the business if you care about other people getting quality goods.

I EXPECT TO RECEIVE EXACTLY WHAT I PAY FOR AND THAT MEANS NOT TO HAVE MY PRODUCT ALTRERED IN ANY WAY BEHIND MY BACK SO....what is the name of this business please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:18 am 
Super Ninja Piston Warrior. Pow!

These people made LWRCI look bad a little bit even though I also thought it peculiar that a new REPR wasn't working right straight from the box. That is why I take everything with a grain of salt till I get the facts straight. Glad you got it straight bro!

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we will all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:24 am 
 YIM  Profile

I think you guys have an elevated opinion of gun stores in general. I my experience they're almost all like this. Staffed by guys who wouldn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, and who will spew their accumulated misinformation like gospel. I go into them to look for good deals, maybe to kick some tires. If I see something I like I make sure to ask some questions.

You really have to go out of your way to find a place that isn't just a circle jerk for a bunch of overgrown adolescents who can't get laid. Also, there is a disturbing prevalence of eccentric facial hair. Not sure how that fits in, but it's a real trend I've noticed.

Not to say that they aren't nice guys. Lots of them are real nice guys. But I had a guy in my platoon who couldn't run for shite, pointed his weapon at everything BUT what he was supposed to (especially his team leader), and consistently zoned out in the middle of anything he was told. "Wait, what was that?" "What was what, Holsinger." "All of what you just said." Guy had a heart of gold. And in the middle of an ass chewing, "But sergeant, I thought we were buddies?" No kidding. That's just about as far as nice gets you all by itself in my book.

Not to say I haven't found good stores to deal with. You just have to look far and wide for them.

So yeah, Frig those guys.

On second thought, how do you know they aren't dicking with your new shiny toy in a way that would blow it up? Frig those guys, and in a way more severe than I said before and also meaning never do business with them again.