LWRC in EAG Training Class – Review M6A3 & REPR

Write a review on LWRC or other manufacturers' products.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

LWRC in EAG Training Class – Review M6A3 & REPR

Postby AR-Newbie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:45 pm

I went to my first tactical training class this past weekend in VA with about 17 other classmates. The 2 day class was run by Pat Rogers of EAG Tactical and assisting with the training was Mike Hueser.

Being new to the AR Carbine world I had read everything on the internet about ar-15 and shot over 1000 rounds down range in my M6A3 before showing up to class. Getting to class was a bit tricky as I’m not Military (thank you all that are) or Law Enforcement (also thank all that are except the one that gave me a traffic ticket last year) and Pat requires everyone to have some type of background check before attending one of his classes, none of which I had. I quickly applied for a FL non-resident carry permit so I could receive it before class got me squared me away.

Before showing up, I needed to square away what gear I would bring (notice I didn’t say needed).
    For the rifle I brought my 16.1 inch LWRC M6A3 with a micro T-1 and LaRue FUG grip. Adjustable gas setting was set to normal for the entire class.

For carry gear I used a 5.11 padded belt with a Blue Force TEN SPEED Mag Pouch, 5.11 medium sized Dump Pouch, and a 5.11 pistol mag pouch which I did not need. The TEN SPEED Mag Pouch was great A+ but you did need two hands to get a mag started into the pouch, the medium dump pouch was too small as once you had two mags in it, it was work to slide the third in.

I brought 12-30rd Pmags (6 with windows) but wish I had brought a few more. To my surprise I much preferred the window Pmags as at the end of each drill when I closed my dust cover I could check to see if I had enough ammo for the next drill, at times I still ran out but that’s another story entirely.

Knee pads by Blackhawk were well used on the 1st day but like everyone else I talked with were very uncomfortable by day’s end.

Hearing protection by Howard Leight model Leightning3 sucked for this class. Not that they didn’t block out sound but they blocked out too much sound and I couldn’t hear commands with them on. Most of the class had electronic hearing protection ranging from $50-$300 and all that I discussed with loved them so I think it’s a worthy future investment, especially the $50 ones.

1000 rounds of Black Hills 75gr Match for $650, I now believe I could have used a cheaper round and been just as happy.

Repair kit consisting of a pin & spring kit, bolt, firing pin, batteries, velcro, and a tool kit.

Cleaning kit consisting of Slip2000 EWL & degreaser and a cleaning rod.

Camelback – not used

Rain gear – thankfully not used

Comfortable boots as you are on your feet a lot (plus see next point)

Things I forgot that I needed – Chair to sit in! – picked one up at Walmart after the 1st day of class that was well used on the 2nd day.

Carry gear belt

The class started with about 2 ½ hours of intro’s, do’s, don’ts, likes, and dislikes that was very interesting as Pat and Mike provided stories from the real word that really shows they know their stuff. Pat addressed the pros and cons of Aimpoint & EOTech included a demonstration where Pat dropped a brand new rifle from nose high; granted Pat’s not that tall (sorry but it had to be said) right on the red dot sight which he then used the rest of the day and another demo including him taking a micro Aimpoint and throwing it hard at a tree and a classmate (well it bounced off the tree hitting the classmate but he survived). About an hour into class, Pat provided everyone with $100 worth of gifts from Magpul , Bravo Company, Slip2000, and LaRue Tactical. It was a very nice surprise and well appreciated so a big Thank You to Magpul, Bravo Company, Slip2000, and LaRue.

At 11:05 we were on the range with our gear, at 11:10 some dill weed drops the 1st magazine on the deck. Ok, the “dill weed” was me but let me explain. Dropping the magazine initiated what would become Pat’s MO for training by humorous humiliation which was amusing as hell. It reminded me of one of those VISA commercials, Ammo = $650, Two nights at a bad hotel = $230, Class fee = $400, being on the receiving end of one of Pat’s comical rants = PRICELESS. Although the rant was funny, dropping the mag actually unveiled a larger issue with my carry gear and needed adjustments as I was trying to carry a 4th mag in my pants pocket. To make matters worse I picked up the magazine after Pat’s rant , went to place it in the dump pouch and…….. you guess it, I missed and dropped it on the deck again. 10 minutes in and I’m already the recipient of two rants (no worries, by the end of day 2 everyone had their fair share). Needless to say, the first chance I got, I removed my pistol pouch and replaced with another magazine pouch so I could carry 4 magazines. I believe the class requirements said to have the ability to carry 2 magazines but I believe if you don’t want to run out of ammo during a drill, you need to be able to carry 4 mags the first of which you load into your gun once everyone is ready (so three extra). Although I did enjoy the ribbing by Pat, you can rest assure I didn’t drop a magazine the rest of the two days (…..the training MO worked which was the point).

In the afternoon, we took about a ½ hour break as Jason from LWRC had shown up with a couple of goodies to show off. Jason gave a demo of what I believe was a 10.5” M6A3 sporting three new features; the new RailSkin’s, a new coated trigger group (looked to be the same coating as the new one piece bolt carrier), and an etched flag on the magwell. Jason also had two REPR’s I believe one each in 16.1 & 20inch barrels, it was nice to get my hands on them as they were bad as shite. Jason said they are shipping 250 this month and ramping up after that. The REPR has a nice integrated ambidextrous bolt release, new forward assist (push in & forward on the charging handle), and a new two piece piston. After the demo, Jason joined the class and conducted a couple of hours of drills using the shorter REPR, if anyone’s knows Jason have him post a review of how he did in on the drills with the REPR. When I think of the REPR, I think of a sniper using it but Jason appeared to be holding his own in the tactical drills using 308 when everyone else was using 223.

Speaking of LWRC, I have to give them a great big thumbs-up as my rifle did terrific! I had ZERO issues in the two day course. I’m not sure how the entire class did, but everyone in my relay except me (the class was divided in two) had some type of issue over the two days. Some of the issues I noted were; broken springs, too heavy of a buffer spring, loose nuts, bad mags (they were brand new), and a good shooter who was having issues that turned out to be a small piece of food in his upper (he guessed it had fallen in his mag pouch and fell into the gun during a reload). There was at least one other LWRC I saw being used in the other relay. Another point I wanted to mention was the fact that my M6A3 never seemed to get that hot, others within my relay had smoking barrels yet I used Magpul ladder rail covers and don’t even recall my hand getting warm.

I did suffer a few pains by the end of the 2nd day; first I was using a Stag Arms Ambi Safety that was cutting the shite out of the large knuckle of my trigger finger. Second issue and something I need to do some research on is the Armadynamics ACLM Ambidextrous Charging Handle I used has a couple of design issues; the first being the serrated edges meant to keep your hand from slipping off the handle actually causes the handle to eat the shite out of your index figure every time you pull on it, the second issued with the charging handle is that it’s not really ambidextrous if the bolt is not all the way forward. During malfunction drills I would have to use my primary left hand to release the latch than perform the right hand reach around the magwell dance to hold the bolt back.

See charging handle on right - note serrated edges on the handle and small latch located on left side only.

The drills in the class where very enjoyable and with two relays; one would perform the drill while the other group rested, reloaded mags, etc. Day 1 drills where longer as Pat & Mike made sure everyone got the basics so you had plenty of rest time. Day 2 drills came at you much faster and more sequences, the resting team was never resting very long (caught us off guard a few times as we were used to the rests on day 1). Reloading mags on break sucks so bring plenty of extra mags (it’s not the amount of ammo that is the issue; if you walk out with 4 mags for a drill it would only take me 3 drills before I used all 12 of my mags, you end up with a lot of partial mags left over). Watching the other relay perform drills was very cool as they looked good as a group. In that group were two Wounded Warriors who were amazing, these guys didn’t let anything slow them down and seem to really enjoy themselves.

The two wounded warriors are on the right with one in the chair and the other kneeling with the arms the size of cannons.

I got a chance to use the Lula Magazine Loader and it’s a fantastic little device. I didn’t think it was something I would want to use as I’ve tried a device for loading pistols and wasn’t impressed. This thing would load mags in ½ the time with about ¼ of the effort and unloads a whole mag in about 5 seconds. It's now on my shopping list.

I summary the class was great, the weather was great, classmates were great, and Pat & Mike were both great. I didn’t finish in the top as I had hoped (wishful thinking) and didn’t get to see everyone’s final score but felt I finished solid in the middle of the pack or hope I did. Now I know what to expect and with some practices hope to finish much higher next time as the top shooter walked away with a crapload of free gear from Tango Down and other companines. I met some good friends and even received the Moose/Rooster patch from Pat (I believe it was Pat’s way of say “way to go dill weed”) that I wore with honor on day 2 and as a reminder to myself that I wasn’t going to be on the bottom.

Cleaning up brass after class

I plan to get more pictures posted when I can.

Hope you enjoyed the review from an AR-Newbie.

Thx……….ArkNewbie
AR-Newbie
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby AR-Newbie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:49 pm

Read Pat's review of class here: http://forum.lwrci.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5147
AR-Newbie
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby Pat_Rogers » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:07 pm

Nice AAR!
FYI- re were two other LWRCI guns in the class.
I had two loaners out -the one Staten Island lawyer had an M6A3 and one of the salvage divers had an M6A1-s.

Also, the student who took the hit from the thrown T1 was an employee from Aimpoint. That was not an accident..... :D

I throw the Aimpoints around- as well as drop the gun (in this case, an as yest unfired BCM Mid Length) on the Aimpoint (2x) for a reason.

If i recommend something, i need to be sure that you (all) understand that it will work.
If it doesn't work, i wouldn't recommend it.

Question- would you drop your eoturd like that?
Would it work if you did?
S/F
Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Pat_Rogers
Industry Professional

Postby SimonTan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:14 pm

You'll love the benchloader.
Technik mit Eleganz
SimonTan
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby Peanut » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:11 pm

Vey nice AAR. Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.
In the sport of combat, there is no second place.

Where in the hell is Easy Street!!!
Peanut

Postby mmcan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:21 pm

That is a great report of time and money well spent.

I look forward to doing this in the near future, now that I have received my M6A3 and have 1000 rounds from SSA on the way!
mmcan
Rank 2 Private ★★

More Pictures

Postby AR-Newbie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:31 pm

More Pictures

Here are a few more pictures of the Wounded Warriors during the EAG Tactical Class (this is some inspirational shite)

Improvised shooting position

Shooting on the move

Relay #1 one on the line

Father & Son

LWRC on the line

REPR pic

Not your everyday lower

AR-Newbie
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby AR-Newbie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:47 pm

More Pic's #3

Jason from LWRC shooting the REPR on the line. If anyone know's him, have him give a post of how it did.

AR-Newbie
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby Pat_Rogers » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Just for disclosure sake, those pics are (c) Pat Rogers 2009 and used with permission on this forum ONLY.
These are originally posted on the Lightfighter.net, AAR on this class.
S/F
Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Pat_Rogers
Industry Professional

Postby JoeBoy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:13 am

Welcome to the MooseCock brotherhood!

Now you just gotta earn your "that guy" hat :)

Or if you're really good earn both on one class! :wink:
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. -Hanlon's Razor

I do not regularly check private messages here, please e-mail me if you expect a response.
JoeBoy
Super Awesome

Postby Pat_Rogers » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:54 am

And how do we know that Joe?? :D
S/F
Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Pat_Rogers
Industry Professional

Return to Reviews and Feedback