It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M6A2 AMMO
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:33 am 
Piston Private

What's the best ammunition for a M6A2 WITH 10.5 barrel and suppressor? Also is Lake City M855 SS109 Penetrator ammo, 62 grain ok?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:03 pm 

Any Lake City ammo is good for training, but out of a 10.3" barrel don't use it for defense. The 5.56 fmj's depend on velcoity to "break" the bullets and cause cavitation and fragmentation. If they don't they make a narrow wound channel and over penetrate. With the 10.3" and M855 I got around 2600 fps, and the absolute frag velocity is around 2500 fps which means your below 2500 fps under 50 yards. Even then the wound channel neck (area after penetration and before cavitation) will be long, up to four or five inches. For the 5.56 in general, and 10.3 especially, look at soft points. Federal 62gr tactical, Speer 64 grain Gold Dot, Federal 64 grain Tru, etc. Even 55 grain soft points are nasty little buggers. We use the Federal tactical at my agency and it has worked well. It is a bonded bullet and expensive. I've been testing the Federal Tru 64 grain soft points and have been very impressed. Soft points require a much lower velocity to expand and fragement, (1800 fps) and are great HD performers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:16 pm 
Piston Private

Will the lake city be fine with a 14.5 barrel ,also the suppressor i have for the 14.5 boost MV to 60? I have corobon DPX 62 grain will that be ok with the 10.5 barrel? and whats your thoughts on 223 Federal LE Tactical Bonded 62gr. Thank for any info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:48 pm 

The 14.5 will work ok with M855, up close. That is the barrel length and round combo that has created alot of controversy. The 20" and M855 seem to do good because of 3100 fps vs. 2900 fps. As for the corbon DPX, if memory serves that bullet is a Barnes 53 grain Triple Shock. It should work but I don't know what the minimum velocity is for expansion with that bullet. I would call Barnes Bullets (google it) and they should know, they are pretty friendly to talk with. Unless you have already bought a bunch of the above ammo I really recommend the Federal Tru 64 grain soft point. The jacket of the bullet goes all the way to the tip, covering any lead that would hit the feed ramps, the bullet has a cannelure, the lot I test was military powered, about 2600 fps from my LWRC 10.3 and almost 3000 fps from my 16". It fragments very well even in the 10.3 but will still get the 12" of minimum penetration. It should also be alot cheaper than the DPX or a bonded round.

I forgot to add the Federal Tac. My agency issues that round and it has worked well for us in the real world. The round penetrates barriers like glass with no deflection and good weight retention. It also expands to more than .50". It is a real bad ass bullet (it is a Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw) but they are very expensive. If you want to go with a bonded round look at the new Speer Gold Dot 64 grain soft point. I also tested them recently and it works like the Federal Tactical but is cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:27 pm 
Piston Private

So you like the 223 Federal LE Tactical TRU 64gr. SP Ammo over the bonded stuff? Also does the federal stuff still work well with the 10.5 and a suppressor? Well ill have to give it a try. Know the only problem is i have thousand and thousand of rounds of the lake city stuff to sell. Thank's for all the info you provided

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:54 pm 

It depends on your intended use. As a patrol round for barrier penetration the bonded stuff is king. If your main use is HD then the Tru would be excellent. As for the Lake City stuff, it is good ammo and if you were getting a 16" it would be fine for general use, I would still recommend a soft point of hpbt for the longer barrel for home defense. The reason the military uses the M855 (or a fmj in general) is the whole Geneva convention bull shite. If they could, I'm sure they would switch to a bonded soft point or something similar.

Federal/ATK used to have their ballistic gelatine tests on their websight for their rifle ammo but I can't seem to find it. I have a hard copy and it shows the federal tactical 62gr penetrating a minium of 14" and a max of 17" through the different barriers. The 64gr Tru penetrates an average of 12" on every test execpt the glass, it only gets about 6". The only .223 bullet that does well against glass is the bonded soft points, Federal Tac and Speer gold dots.

For patrol use, the bonded stuff, for SWAT (which equates to home defense) the non binded 64 grain Tru.

What are you using for training ammo? The Lake City stuff is great for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:29 pm 
Piston Private

I use the lake city stuff. I've also used it and have really only used a 16 barrel, But i ordered a M6A2 10.5 and a M6A2 14.5 and have suppressors for both. The Lake city should be fine for the 14.5 and my suppressor gives it 60 fps more MV so i wont lose out. I was worried what i could use with the 10.5 for HD. Also i wonder if federal shots well out of a can? Well thanks for your time and all the info you have provided me. I feel I'm going to go with the 223 Federal LE Tactical TRU 64gr and maybe ill buy some of the bonded stuff as well. And know i think I'm going to sell about 5,000 rounds of my lake city stuff to help purchase the other stuff. thank again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:50 am 

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

There is some interesting stuff in this article about ineffectivness of current 5.56 military ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:59 pm 
Piston Private

Nice, thanks for the info. Also let me know if you or anybody else would like to buy some lake city 5.56 M855 green tip. I want to sell about 5,000 rounds of it all marked from 05-08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:08 pm 
Super Ninja Piston Warrior. Pow!

hk45t wrote:
Nice, thanks for the info. Also let me know if you or anybody else would like to buy some lake city 5.56 M855 green tip. I want to sell about 5,000 rounds of it all marked from 05-08

Damn man, are you made of money? You have a lot of expensive stuff in the Marketplace! :shock: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:29 pm 
Piston Private

No, the ammo i just keep buying when i can get it cheap. But i don't need all of it so I'm going to sell some. You need some?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:40 pm 
Super Ninja Piston Warrior. Pow!

hk45t wrote:
No, the ammo i just keep buying when i can get it cheap. But i don't need all of it so I'm going to sell some. You need some?

I'll buy one of your M855s if you buy one of my LWRC uppers :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:54 pm 
Piston Private

Hey rcrandall,
Is it ok to shoot soft point through a suppressor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:36 pm 

I would imagine it's alright, but I am not a suppressor shooter and don't know much about them. I'm sure someone here could answer that, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:50 pm 
Piston Private

Ok sounds good, i just posted in the general discussion board to see what guys say. Anyways thanks alot for all the info you provide me with.