It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20" REPR Optic choice and QD mounts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:46 pm 
Piston Private Recruit

Hey guys, I am completely new to the LWRC world and new to placing quality glass on an AR platform. Take it easy on a new guy.
I just bought a 20" REPR and need some advice on the glass and QD mounts. I have pretty much made my decision to go with the Nightforce NXS scope. More than likely the 5.5-22. Now my question is to go with the 50mm or 56mm? What are you guys running for QD mounts on your Nightforce setups? Will there be an issue with the 56mm rubbing the rails? I see many are running the Larue QD's but will 56mm work on those mounts?
I plan on using this system for everything (target, long range target, deer hunting etc).
Please provide pics;-)

Post subject: Re: 20" REPR Optic choice and QD mounts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:27 pm 
I AM Tactical.

A larger objective lens lets in more light and gives you a brighter sight picture in low light. That is why I chose a 3.5-15x56 NF NXS. Some people don't think this is worth the extra weight and bell size. I also use a Tenebraex ARD and the whole thing is mounted in a Larue mount with adequate rail clearance. I cannot remember which Larue mount, but if you use a mount with a lot of built in MOA as your scope gets longer there is a greater chance your bell will contact the rail.

Photos are elsewhere on this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:12 pm 
Generalissimo of the Piston Revolution

Welcome to the forum. +1 on the LaRue Tactical mounts and Nightforce. Many of the high end optics (Nightforce, S&B, Leupold) are running 56mm objectives with 34/35mm tubes for more adjustment. If your looking for a one size fits all answer to your problem, be prepared to pay out the ass. I will suggest the following if you would like to buy once, cry once. If not, the Nightforce 56mm with Larue LT104 should serve you well. You can call LaRue to verify your scope will clear the rail and BUIS, they encourage this before your purchase.

http://nightforceoptics.com/beast/

http://www.laruetactical.com/scope-comb ... cope-mount

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:44 am 
Piston CPL

If your rig is going to get carried from your car to a bench, I would recommend the biggest objective lens that suits your needs. If your rig is intended for any kind of real field use I would recommend keeping your objective lens to 50mm and below........preferably below. As for the mount? Call LaRue after you have chosen your glass and they will take care of you. 5872

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:37 pm 
Piston Sergant

Someone needs to order this so we can hear some reviews: http://www.laruetactical.com/riflescope ... 59-reticle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:39 pm 
Piston Private Recruit

Thanks for the input guys.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 am 
Piston Private Recruit

Hmm, now I like the Nightforce ATACR...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:50 pm 
Piston Private
 WWW  Profile

longmj82 wrote:
Someone needs to order this so we can hear some reviews: http://www.laruetactical.com/riflescope ... 59-reticle

I actually purchased that a year and half ago. really for the money not a bad scope at all- the H59 is really awesome-

Pros:
Price is nice-
combo mounts really good-
Glass is Good-
Cons:
Glass could be better
Turrets are soft (never did a box test)
Either a chip or some oil spattered onto the internals - I sent it back for a full refund-

I am now running a Vortex HD Razor 5x20x50
Glass is better
Really super solid turrets..
Zero Stop
Ret is cool but not as cool as the H59
Price is 500 more
35mm tube- comes with caps- bubble - ERD- Sun Shade...

I would like to put the 2k Bushnell up against the Vortex but we will see. I have to say figuring out what scope to get is a real bitch..

S&W M&P 9mm
S&W M&P Shield 9mm
Wilson Combat X-Tac 1911
Sig Sauer 1911 5.11

https://www.youtube.com/thescarzone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:49 am 
Piston Private Recruit

Alright I've made my decision. Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm MOAR ZeroStop. Going with the Nightforce Ultralite Mag Mounts w/an upper ring with a level and Angle Degree Indicator. Have a ton of timberlands in the area where I'll be shooing either up hill or downhill.

UPDATE:
Changed my mind. I'm going with the ATACR now. Got the military discount so the price came down to what I would have paid for the NXS without the discount. Might as well take advantage of the ED Glass and 34mm tube. The extra weight doesn't bother me at all. I'm use to carrying the weight in the field. The 20" REPR fully loaded will still be lighter than what I'm use to carrying in the field.

Last edited by wsucougarx on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:49 pm 
Piston Private

Wise choice the NXS is phenomenal glass and the Larue mounts are definitely top of the line. I have a 56mm objective and I use the SPR1.5 qd mount and I dont have a single complaint about it. BTW Im running this on a REPR w/20in barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:09 pm 
Piston Sergant

wsucougarx wrote:
Alright I've made my decision. Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm MOAR ZeroStop. Going with the Nightforce Ultralite Mag Mounts w/an upper ring with a level and Angle Degree Indicator. Have a ton of timberlands in the area where I'll be shooing either up hill or downhill.

This is a nxs 5.5-22x56 zerostop in a nightforce unimount 1.375" 20moa base. (magmount is 0 moa base)
1 mm of clearance to the repr rail.

Happiness is a hot silencer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:51 am 
Piston Private

How does the cheekweld feel with the PRS?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:41 am 
I AM Tactical.

It feels adjustable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:28 pm 
Piston Private
 WWW  Profile

Wanted to update as well on my earlier post:

I ordered a ATARC- Was supper impressed and really loved it - but I am fickle and sent it back for only 2 reasons- I did not like the reticle and it was in 2FP (I though i would not mind it but have been on the FFP now for awhile)- I might have kept it if it was a FFP.

I ordered the newer Bushnell 4.5-30x56 w/h59 was supper happy until i mounted it- with the Leupold zero point system- the light illuminated the inside of the scope and all i saw were about 100 tiny little oil spots that I did not first see when checking it with the sun to my back. (it is being sent back to Eurooptics)

So I am still liking the Vortex- and I received the new 2014 catalog which has the newer Razor HD II which is a 56mm but listed at an unreal 48oz!!!???

I too am so split on which new scope to get (I want to move the Vortex over to my Savage 10)

I hope the ATARC works out great for you- the glass was the best I had ever looked through. (that is subjective to users) but IMO-

GOOD LUCK!

S&W M&P 9mm
S&W M&P Shield 9mm
Wilson Combat X-Tac 1911
Sig Sauer 1911 5.11

https://www.youtube.com/thescarzone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:54 am 
Piston Private Recruit

Thank you. I haven't sent my order into NF just yet. Still making sure the ATACR is the one. I guess really the main issue for stalling is how much I've got to spend;-). I've got the cash ready to spend but...I guess I need to suck it up and use the "buy once, cry once" attitude. Just not cry before ordering it...LOL. I actually only want a SFP scope for what I'm going to do with the scope. Plus the MIL-R reticle is outstanding. Will keep you guys posted.