It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M6A5 vs. M6IC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:19 pm 
Piston CPL

I'm in the market for a piston driven AR, and my search has landed me to LWRC. I was kind of bummed about the A2 because it didn't have the ability to change the gas settings for a surpressor. Then, I randomly heard that there was something called a M6A5 which did, and I rejoiced...but then couldn't find a trace of the gun on the main website.

So, my question is two parts: 1) Why isn't the M6A5 on the website and 2) What is the differences between the M6A5 and the M6IC.

From what I understand right now is both have the same gas system. I liked everything about the M6IC but the way the barrel looks, reminds me of liquorish. So are the differences only cosmetic? If some, specifically, what are the differences. Thanks in advance and if you can post pictures too that would be amazing.

Post subject: Re: M6A5 vs. M6IC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:40 pm 
Super Ninja Piston Warrior. Pow!

You can have your dealer order you an M6A5 whenever you like. Not sure if they're still exclusive to RSR though. Dunno why it's not yet listed on the site since they even say it's the M6A3's replacement, but it is available via dealers. Several options there.

Differences are the upper receiver and how it interfaces with the rail (classic/SPR style on A5, new extended upper receiver on IC,) the barrel as you mentioned (fluted on IC, standard profile on A5,) gas block (railed & with bayo lug on IC, low profile on A5,) and the lower (new billet-esque forged lower with ambi controls on IC, classic/regular lower on the A5.)

Otherwise they're pretty much the same thing.

You are the Resistance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:56 pm 
Piston CPL

Snake wrote:
Differences are the upper receiver and how it interfaces with the rail (classic/SPR style on A5, new extended upper receiver on IC,) the barrel as you mentioned (fluted on IC, standard profile on A5,) gas block (railed & with bayo lug on IC, low profile on A5,) and the lower (new billet-esque forged lower with ambi controls on IC, classic/regular lower on the A5.)

Otherwise they're pretty much the same thing.

With the rail, what is the supposed purpose of the new "extended upper receiver"? Was there an issue with the older model?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:55 am 

It's a much stronger interface between receiver and barrel. No problem, just a step forward.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:14 am 
Piston CPL

van halen wrote:
It's a much stronger interface between receiver and barrel. No problem, just a step forward.

Interesting. Just curious, where could I get more info, like a review, on the M6A5, as well as the IC. I've looked all over the internet and you guys are stating things that I hadn't found yet elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:50 am 
Generalissimo of the Piston Revolution

MessengerAT wrote:
van halen wrote:

Interesting. Just curious, where could I get more info, like a review, on the M6A5, as well as the IC. I've looked all over the internet and you guys are stating things that I hadn't found yet elsewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpxkhLDlDE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:05 am 
Piston CPL

TENMMIKE wrote:
MessengerAT wrote:
van halen wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpxkhLDlDE

Yeah, that's pretty much the only video/info I could find on the M6A5, and even then that guys review isn't really a review.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:45 am 
I AM Tactical.

IC >A5 strictly because of the lower. True the upper is a better, stronger design but that in no way means the a5 or current spr setup is weak.

By definition, criminals are civilians that do not follow laws. So how would a new law even remotely stop them from obtaining firearms and committing crimes with said firearms? Stopping law abiding citizens from owning firearms only creates more victims!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:24 am 
Piston CPL

Vdub5818 wrote:
IC >A5 strictly because of the lower. True the upper is a better, stronger design but that in no way means the a5 or current spr setup is weak.

I am not well versed on how the lower is different in the two guns. Could you describe please what is different?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:46 am 

All ambi controls, even the charging handle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:49 am 
Piston CPL

van halen wrote:
All ambi controls, even the charging handle.

So, performance wise they are the same? I'm not so interested in the ambi controls. I really would like to get a M6A5, but I just want to make sure I'm not losing anything performance or quality/upgrade wise.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:51 am 
I AM Tactical.

MessengerAT wrote:
Vdub5818 wrote:

I am not well versed on how the lower is different in the two guns. Could you describe please what is different?

Thanks.

As van pointed out, all the ambi controls. The standard left side mag release is nice for me but the norgon has been working well in the operator, and that can be had from rainier for any lower. The main benefit is the right side bolt catch/release and how well it functions.

By definition, criminals are civilians that do not follow laws. So how would a new law even remotely stop them from obtaining firearms and committing crimes with said firearms? Stopping law abiding citizens from owning firearms only creates more victims!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:07 am 
Piston CPL

Vdub5818 wrote:
MessengerAT wrote:
Vdub5818 wrote:

Thanks.

As van pointed out, all the ambi controls. The standard left side mag release is nice for me but the norgon has been working well in the operator, and that can be had from rainier for any lower. The main benefit is the right side bolt catch/release and how well it functions.

If that is the only main difference on the lower, and the uppers are basically the same, minus the small differences in the rails, I'm still leaning M6A5. Though to be honest, if the liquorish barrel wasn't on the IC, I'd be more willing to go that route. I can't get past it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:37 am 

You're not alone buddy :yeah:

The ORIGINAL IC didn't have the stupid candy cane barrel.

You are the Resistance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:19 am 
I AM Tactical.

Quote:
If that is the only main difference on the lower, and the uppers are basically the same, minus the small differences in the rails, I'm still leaning M6A5. Though to be honest, if the liquorish barrel wasn't on the IC, I'd be more willing to go that route. I can't get past it.

If you shoot righty, trust me, you want an IC lower. I personally love the spiral fluted barrels, mainly due to holding my operator then holding a 14.7" standard barrel a2. Much lighter up front. I like the looks too, but that is far from important.