Side Charger?

Forum for the REPR MKII (new for 2017)

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred, Announcement

Side Charger?

Postby PbMachine » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:53 am

Will the REPR MKII offer a side charger later this year or sometime in 2018?
PbMachine
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Re: Side Charger?

Postby LoganBetterton » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:49 am

PbMachine wrote:Will the REPR MKII offer a side charger later this year or sometime in 2018?

Yes, this will be offered likely in 2018. Not in 2017.
-LWRCi Logan
Email me here: LBetterton@LWRCI.com

LoganBetterton

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:03 am

Anybody want to bet me a dollar it never happens?
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby LoganBetterton » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 am

bastardsonofelvis wrote:Anybody want to bet me a dollar it never happens?

I'll raise you $2.00 it does. :mrgreen:
-LWRCi Logan

LoganBetterton

Postby PbMachine » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:58 pm

LoganBetterton wrote:

How early 2018 are we talking?
PbMachine
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby LoganBetterton » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:32 am

PbMachine wrote:
LoganBetterton wrote:

How early 2018 are we talking?

No exact date was given to me, however they are confident it will be early. Keep in mind, this is a revision on a model we already produce so this typically does not take as long as creating a new organic model from the ground up.
-LWRCi Logan

LoganBetterton

Postby PbMachine » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks Logan! Now I have to save up my pennies for next year.
PbMachine
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby CPTNordy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:13 pm

When the side charger model/variant comes out I will have a decision to make. I currently have a 20" REPR bought in '11 or '12.

Can someone who has shot both chime in on whether this is a significant upgrade or not? I would more than likely sell my existing one to partially offset the price of the new one as I don't see the need to have two of these rifles. I'm guessing the difference would be about $1,500 (correct me if I am way off here), and trying to figure out the cost benefit analysis here.

Thanks! Oh, and hoping you all do a SBR upper for the .300BLK DI.....
CPTNordy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby LoganBetterton » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:21 am

Are you asking about the difference in the MKI and MKII?
-LWRCi Logan

LoganBetterton

Postby CPTNordy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Logan - I was soliciting opinions on whether or not the MKII, when it comes out in a side charger, will provide enough of an upgrade over the legacy REPR (possibly what you are calling the MKI) to justify the difference in what I could sell the 20" REPR for and purchase the new MKII (I am guessing about a $1,500 difference).

Thanks!
CPTNordy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby JonStuck » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:18 pm

Trying to clarify what I think is the reasoning.

Why would I want one over the other?

Thanks!
JonStuck
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby LoganBetterton » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:53 am

CPTNordy wrote:Logan - I was soliciting opinions on whether or not the MKII, when it comes out in a side charger, will provide enough of an upgrade over the legacy REPR (possibly what you are calling the MKI) to justify the difference in what I could sell the 20" REPR for and purchase the new MKII (I am guessing about a $1,500 difference).

Thanks!

Yes. IMO the REPR MKII is worth going to. I'm not just expressing this because its new; the results don't lie.

The REPR MKI was meant to be a multi-role battle rifle that could be used in various roles including sniper. Nonetheless, a great rifle but does not offer the precision that the MKII does. The MKII has the monoforged upper, 20 position tune-able gas block, ambi controls, fit and finish are much tighter, and it's lighter. We learned from our development of the REPR MKI and wanted to improve it in anyway we could. The REPR MKII is the product of that.
-LWRCi Logan

LoganBetterton

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:19 pm

LoganBetterton wrote:
CPTNordy wrote:Logan - I was soliciting opinions on whether or not the MKII, when it comes out in a side charger, will provide enough of an upgrade over the legacy REPR (possibly what you are calling the MKI) to justify the difference in what I could sell the 20" REPR for and purchase the new MKII (I am guessing about a $1,500 difference).

Thanks!

Yes. IMO the REPR MKII is worth going to. I'm not just expressing this because its new; the results don't lie.

The REPR MKI was meant to be a multi-role battle rifle that could be used in various roles including sniper. Nonetheless, a great rifle but does not offer the precision that the MKII does. The MKII has the monoforged upper, 20 position tune-able gas block, ambi controls, fit and finish are much tighter, and it's lighter. We learned from our development of the REPR MKI and wanted to improve it in anyway we could. The REPR MKII is the product of that.

How much lighter exactly? Does it use the same barrel? The monoforged upper is neat but I'm not sure it really does anything. Ambi controls are a decent upgrade for lefties.

I'm not sold on the gas block. I guess maybe it's a personal thing, but when something becomes uber adjustable it becomes something that I fiddle with incessantly and it drives me nuts, like a mountain bike shock. "Is it perfect? Should I F with it?"

And I'm not buying that the fit/finish is improved. I just don't think it's possible.

Overall, I would have to see some side by side comparisons between maybe ten of each rifle before I believe that there is any increase in accuracy, unless the operating system or barrel has changed. Weight savings are always nice but it would have to be pretty significant to warrant an 'upgrade'.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby Campy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:24 pm

The side charging handle has peaked my interest. Having said that, I don't feel it warrants purchasing a new one. Having said that I am looking at getting the 12.7" MKII.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LWRC M6-IC
HK P30 9mm
HK45 Full size
Colt Defender 45
Campy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby PbMachine » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:31 pm

I have another question for you Logan. Will the upcoming variant's side charger handle have the push-in feature like the original REPR has? Same lock-up mechanism?
PbMachine
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Return to R.E.P.R. MKII / C.S.A.S.S.