It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FN SCAR 16S & LWRCI M6A3 :
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:22 am 
Super Ninja Piston Expert
 WWW  Profile

A local LEO friend of mine brought over his new FN SCAR 16S tonight for me to have a look at, overall I am very impressed with the platform's simplicity. Do I want one? Yes. The Belgians got this one down right, granted the stock could be a little better, and nothing is going to replace my LWRCI. I'd love an SBR variant and a heavy barrel version (I'm not used to pencil thin barrels, albeit the weight is fantastic).

I thought some of you gents would appreciate seeing a European thoroughbred and the Top Tier of American brands next to each other :

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:42 am 
Super Ninja Piston Warrior. Pow!

Yup, the ACR don't got shite on the SCAR.

LWRC and SCAR, two of the best guns in the world right in your living room rug!! God bless America :usa:

Now only if Sig would get the 551/2 into the US!!!

Last edited by Pokeguyjai on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:43 am 

Pretty cool pics. Nice A3. I don't know why but I want a SCAR much less now. I think it's the bulk of it combined with the barrel. If someone would make a side-folding stock that didn't look so beefy it would be much more appealing to me. What can I say about the barrel it just looks so thin (my be optical illusion given the size of the gun). Would be interested to see a barrel test done a la Colts test on different contour barrels.

Still pretty cool though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:53 am 
Piston CPL

do they make a 10.5 barrel for the scars? i also think an sbr scar would be awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:05 am 
Piston Sergant

I like the SCAR, too, especially being a lefty and handling one in New Mexico a little while back. But I'm GTG with my LWRC 5.56 and 6.8. Give me the SCAR 17S with 14.5 and 20 inch barrels, and I've got cash to get it done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:09 am 
 WWW  Profile

Pokeguyjai : I know brother - that made my evening! :usa: :mrgreen:

You know me on the SIG issue, I'm sure the shed heads have been smoking some of the good stuff, because all they have done is run SIG into the ground. I'll SBR my P556 when I can, but all I wanted was a direct replacement for my SIG SG552-SP and a SIG SG551 SWAT. But no, psychedelic colours, 1911s, beavertails on P-series pistols and another AR variant are the way to go for SIG. Originality and innovation... long gone (I think ever since they discontinued the P226 ST/P220 ST models really).

SR_JM : I used to think the bulk would be an issue as well. I didn't like the chunky look of it, but I can tell you that it is extremelly deceiving on the FN. You would be amazed at how light the rifle really is and it was really easy to present and shoulder, and it is more comfortable than I had imagined/expected it to be. The barrel is thin, which is why I would prefer a heavy barrel, but this in an SBR form would be tits. I wouldn't mind a 14.5-inch heavy barrel FDE version, along with a black +-10.5-inch SBR.

I have to sell my body to little old ladies in retirement villages to start getting financing on my LWRCI needs, let alone sell my left ball for an FN later down the road. *S*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:18 am 
Generalissimo of the Piston Revolution

Thanks, for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:12 am 
Piston Private

Ghostrider, you and your buddy should have a little comp and let us know which one comes out on top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:31 am 
 WWW  Profile

UDT : You're welcome brother!

GUNADDICT : I'll shoot with him when I get back to AK, I'm heading back to South Africa for a month and should be on orders for a week through ARNG after that. I should be back home on the 2nd May. I'll let you know more after we hit the range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:38 am 
Super Ninja Piston Warrior. Pow!

Ghostrider wrote:
Pokeguyjai : I know brother - that made my evening! :usa: :mrgreen:

You know me on the SIG issue, I'm sure the shed heads have been smoking some of the good stuff, because all they have done is run SIG into the ground. I'll SBR my P556 when I can, but all I wanted was a direct replacement for my SIG SG552-SP and a SIG SG551 SWAT. But no, psychedelic colours, 1911s, beavertails on P-series pistols and another AR variant are the way to go for SIG. Originality and innovation... long gone (I think ever since they discontinued the P226 ST/P220 ST models really).

I have a Sig556 Classic and it is a pretty sweet gun, but honestly it doesn't have that raw "battle axe" feel that I look for in my go-to guns. (Which my LWRC M6 and 6.8 M6A2 do)

I'm sure the Sig551/2s do though.... I think it has something to do with the "love" (aka intentions) that the mfgers have when they build the guns. Sort of like that "love" which moms put into good home cooked food...

Have a safe trip to South Africa bro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Poke : I love the balance and the handling characteristics of the SIG SG552 and SG551 - absolutely beautiful weapons. Quaility does ooze out of them, without question. Granted they are heavier, but they handle so very well indeed. *s*

I'm leaving for SA tonight, wish I could take my M6A3 with me being the crime zone that it really is, and I should be on Patrol a few times. Trouble is hauling all my gear to and fro is a pain in the ass so I have to go light this time around. I really hate going home without having a rifle there, but it will be good to be home, hit some sunshine, start runnng and get back into shape, maybe go to a game reserve again and catch up with friends and family.

I'll be back on the forum later this week - thanks brother! :beer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:36 pm 
Piston CPL

Yeah those are definately some awesome weapons! and I would love to know if FN plans to sell the shorter barrels. Not a fan of the 16in.

Sine Pari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:51 am 

IMHO SCARs are FUGLY! But that's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:44 pm 
Piston Private Recruit

SR_JM wrote:
P...snip... If someone would make a side-folding stock that didn't look so beefy it would be much more appealing to me. .

You mean like a SIG?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:39 pm 

I love all my LWRCi's. They are fantastic.

That being said.. I just finished demo'ing the FN SCAR 16 and 17 for my team. I am impressed with the weapons. I didn't care much for the reciprocating charging handle at first because you have to learn VERY quickly to not put your fingers or thumb in the way.

I was very pleased with the SCAR 17 and with the ease of use and little felt recoil that the weapon displayed. Shooting the 17 in full auto was actually very controlable at close to medium ranges. Most would have thought that it would be spraying rounds everywhere but it did not. You just had to pull it in and lean into it. My Team actually liked the 17 enough that we purchased a few(16"barrel) to have for certain situations.
LWRCi and FN are making top products.