Surefire socom rc1 vs rc2

Forum for discussing supressors.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred, Announcement

Surefire socom rc1 vs rc2

Postby midwestAR » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:09 am

I have a chance to acquire a NIB first generation socom rc1 (USSOCOM contract winner) for quite a lot less than an rc2. I checked the specs on the sf website and weight, length appear the same.

http://www.surefire.com/socom556-rc.html
http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipm ... 6-rc2.html

Silencershop ran tests comparing them and the rc1 reduced sound very slightly more at shooter’s ear in their test (on YouTube). https://youtu.be/1oJapz1RPjs

Apparently the manufacturing has been made less expensive in gen2 with lower list price, however with the same quick attach etc.

Am I missing anything? Would you recommend a gen 1 socom 556 (rc1) or would you pay more for an rc2? Thanks so much! Already have the sf brake pinned and welded on my 14.7 a5 and can’t wait for the supp, Midwest
midwestAR
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Re: Surefire socom rc1 vs rc2

Postby The Big Kahuna » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:57 am

Midwest - I have some Gen 1 RC's which I absolutely love. I had a similar discussion with my local FFL guys about the differences between the two generations when the Gen 2 was released. At that time they gave me a similar "story"..........that Surefire had implemented a new manufacturing system that allowed them to reduce the Gen 2 costs. They said there were supposedly some minor baffle changes but they didn't get specific. At the time they actually felt the Gen 1 was better made and preferable over the Gen 2.

I'm sorry I can't give you more details about what exactly the changes were in the Gen 2. But the FFL I deal with is filled with a great group of guys, many former military, and they are not bashful about expressing their honest views, even if it means that they don't get a sale. They have never steered me wrong.

Anyway, while I tend to like to buy the latest version of products because they are typically better then the previous version, what I would tell you in this instance is that if I could have a Gen 1 RC at a much lower price than a Gen 2 RC, I would take it.

One little aside......my education and career have been in the computer technology world......and one axiom from that world is that in the business world (and not a computer geek that has to have every new innovation on the market) you always skip at least one generation of a technology because the enhancements provided in a single generation are not usually significant enough to warrant the upgrade costs.

I'm sure some might disagree with this thought, but from what I've been told by reliable sources, I'm not sure any product changes to the Gen 2 are significant enough to warrant not taking the Gen 1 at a significantly lower price.

TBK
The Big Kahuna
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:56 pm

I own a couple of each in various calibers and I can't tell an appreciable difference with respect to build quality or attenuation. Get the cheaper one.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby rcrandall » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:59 pm

https://www.ng2defense.com/products/max ... suppressor

You should give these a look. I've tried this suppressor and there is no back pressure.
Write drunk; edit sober - Ernest Hemingway
rcrandall

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:25 am

rcrandall wrote:https://www.ng2defense.com/products/maxflo-3d-afd-suppressor

You should give these a look. I've tried this suppressor and there is no back pressure.

How does it attach, RC?
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby van halen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:24 am

Very interesting, tell us more....
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby rcrandall » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:38 am

I know the owner from Cerakote stuff and he has borrowed several of my LWRC Six8's to test his suppressors with and they run like tops with zero change in ejection pattern and no gas to the face, there is very little to no back pressure. I shot a DI 5.56 with their can with the same results. I'm supposed to get together with him and his guys to help make a video showing his can on a bunch of LWRC's, a SCAR 17, and maybe some other guns. When the video is complete he wants me to post it on the forum. I'll put it in the NFA section. I don''t work for him or make commissions I just thought people would like to know about this.

Below are pictures of fired Hornady SIX8 brass (VMAX) fired from my 12.7" and 16" SIX8 A5's with and without the suppressor.
Attachments
IMG_0789.JPG
IMG_0789.JPG (39.42 KiB) Viewed 958 times
IMG_0790 (2).JPG
IMG_0790 (2).JPG (36.94 KiB) Viewed 958 times
rcrandall

Postby van halen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:43 pm

Good deal, I look forward to the vid.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:34 am

Attachment?
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby rcrandall » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:35 am

You can't see the pictures?
rcrandall

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:06 pm

rcrandall wrote:You can't see the pictures?

Of your brass? I'm wondering how the suppressor attaches to the barrel, if there's a proprietary muzzle device, if it uses a birdcage, or if it screws directly onto the barrel. I don't see any pics of that anywhere, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby rcrandall » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Right now it threads directly on the barrel. I know they are working on a muzzle device attachment.
rcrandall

Return to Suppressor Discussion