My rifle keeps surprising me!

Forum for the IC series.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred, Announcement

My rifle keeps surprising me!

Postby NMGuy » Sun May 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Went out today and shot out to 200 yards. Normally I don't shoot groups out past 100 for sighting in and plinking. Mainly because I don't like walking further!

Anyways, I have made a few aftermarket additions on my SPR. Starting with a Geissele SDC 4.5lb 2 stage trigger.

Optics are a vortex strike eagle 1-6x30mm in a super heavy Burris PEPR mount for now. Optics are staying but I need a new mount that is lighter.

I am running a DEADAIR armament Sandman S suppressor on one of their flash hiders. Also running an LWRC h3 buffer and extra power buffer spring.

Normally I just shoot 55gr xm193 or .223 American eagle for plinking at the range. I see about 1"-1.25" groups at 100 with this rifle setup as so. Today I decided to walk out to 200 and set up a bunch of targets. I also decided to try some of the American eagle 50gr varmint/predator ammo in the 50 round boxes from Wally World. To my surprise, I was getting 1" groups at 200 yards with that ammo and my xm193 all day long! Was a very nice surprise. I shot probably 20 3 and 5 shot groups all together and the average size was 1.3"!!! The biggest was 1.72" and the smallest was .86"!!!

I forgot to pull the can off and shoot groups so I will try that next weekend and see!

I've been shooting prarie dogs out in the 200-300 yard range many times before but I've never tried to shoot groups and this was a very very nice surprise! Now I have no excuse for missing anymore though!
NMGuy
Rank 2 Private ★★

Re: My rifle keeps surprising me!

Postby van halen » Thu May 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Keep up the good work!
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Re: My rifle keeps surprising me!

Postby NMGuy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:59 pm

Went out again today to shoot some groups at 100 and 200 with some new ammo. I was trying some Hornady Black .223 75gr BTHP ammo. I shot 4 groups at 100 and 2 groups at 200. All groups were 3 shots. The rifle was in the exact same setup as before.

Average groups size at 100 yards was .49" and the average groups size at 200 yards was 1.17".

I didn't zero so my groups were about 2" high and 2" right but I like this ammo so much I'm going to buy a few more boxes and try to replicate these results. It may become my go to load for this rifle with results like these. I know it could have done a little better at 200. One of the groups was .97" and the other was 1.37". I pulled the last shot a little and my 6x optic is not very precise. Not the best setup for precision work but no doubt it can handle the job!
NMGuy
Rank 2 Private ★★

Return to IC (Individual Carbine)