Ideal optics for PDW

Discussion about all things optic. Learn and share your knowledge with others. Ask the industry experts questions. Be and educated buyer and user and squeeze all of the capability out of your small arms systems.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Ideal optics for PDW

Postby LWRSEE Lover » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:40 am

I have currently ordered T2 aimpoint but have considerable positive reviews around the eotech or even the Sig Romeo holographic sights. What do you suggest and why? Still leaning to the precision of aimpoint right now but quick acqisition of the holographic sights makes a lot of sense too......ahhhhhh so confused.
LWRSEE Lover
Rank 1 Newbie ★
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:03 am

Re: Ideal optics for PDW

Postby van halen » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 am

All are different versions of a 1X RDS, the Aimpoint line being built like a tank for what they are. Battery life is off the charts as well. The T1&2, H1&2 being the smallest, lightest available.

Some prefer the EOTech for the slightly bigger window, different reticle, etc.

No idea on Sig optics, but based on price I doubt the quality.

For reasons above, I have two Aimpoints, and older M3, and an H1. Just to be safe, I replace the batteries every 2 1/2- 3 years. 99% of the time I'm shooting inside 125 yards these days, so they work for me. You must decide your intended purpose for your PDW, try to match the optic to that. Given the shorter barrel, I don't see why an H2 won't work for you.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
User avatar
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★
 
Posts: 3509
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:17 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Ideal optics for PDW

Postby Hossfly » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:49 am

I've been wondering the same thing. Waiting for stamp so I have plenty of time to choose. What about an optic that has motion detection for an instant "on"? Anybody tried them? Looks interesting!
Hossfly
Rank 1 Newbie ★
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:34 am

Re: Ideal optics for PDW

Postby STONEYARDER » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Its an up close and personal weapon, I would just run the BUIS. Don't get me wrong I love my T1 and T2's but with a barrel that short iron sights are more than capable.
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER
Moderator
 
Posts: 3851
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:48 am
Location: Mn.

Re: Ideal optics for PDW

Postby shot » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:12 am

I've been using the same Aimpoint comp m4 for about 7 years. Only issue I have ever had was the need to replace the battery cap one time. Battery life in Aimpoints is beyond most others.

But I have to say, I have, on back order, a Vortex Razor AMG UH 1. I have a quite a few friends who really like their Vortex products. Not to mention that by using the site Experticity, you can get a 40% discount if you belong to the right group of people.

So, you can also look at Vortex.
"Getting shot sucks balls." - Mike L. June 2013. (God speed on the recovery)

Evil Preaches Tolerance Until It Is Dominant, Then Seeks to Silence Good
shot
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:18 pm
Location: Behind you, turn around.

Re: Ideal optics for PDW

Postby James4798 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:57 am

STONEYARDER wrote:Its an up close and personal weapon, I would just run the BUIS. Don't get me wrong I love my T1 and T2's but with a barrel that short iron sights are more than capable.


Iron sights can prove difficult with the PDW stock in my experience. It can be done, but just doesn't come up natural for me. I picked up a Vortex Spark AR, supprisingly I like it a lot. It's not an aimpoint, but for the price it is a nice red dot.
PDW - Xiphos
IC - Spartan
IC - SPR
James4798
Rank 2 Private ★★
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:09 am
Location: North Dakota

Re: Ideal optics for PDW

Postby van halen » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:02 pm

I used mainly irons, until my eyesight started getting crappy, crossing into the early 40's and all. Quality RDS got me back on track.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
User avatar
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★
 
Posts: 3509
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:17 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Ideal optics for PDW

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Mon May 01, 2017 1:27 am

Aimpoint micro all day for any application where you don't need a powered optic. The only other thing I'd consider for that little rifle would be a Triji MRO. I've heard good things pretty much unanimously ands its hundreds less.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
User avatar
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:50 am
Location: Mountain Colorado

Re: Ideal optics for PDW

Postby 1kydstr » Tue May 02, 2017 2:38 pm

I've been using Aimpoint Micro T-1's since they came out and I love them. I've used them on everything between 8.5" - 16" barrels. I recently purchased a T-2. I like it even better but for a reason that you might not expect. I, like a lot of folks, shoot with both eyes open, especially up close. With the T-2 if you buy the clear front lens cap and put some white tape over it you can shoot with both eyes open in ALL LIGHT CONDITIONS without having to adjust the intensity of the dot (dark/light or light/dark). Still playing with it but like it so far.
1kydstr
Rank 1 Newbie ★
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Re: Ideal optics for PDW

Postby LoganBetterton » Wed May 03, 2017 11:19 am

bastardsonofelvis wrote:Aimpoint micro all day for any application where you don't need a powered optic. The only other thing I'd consider for that little rifle would be a Triji MRO. I've heard good things pretty much unanimously ands its hundreds less.


We primarily use T-1's here. The MRO is also a great choice. It would be hard to choose something else as these are a good match for the PDW SBR. You will not read much if anything negative about them.

van halen wrote:All are different versions of a 1X RDS, the Aimpoint line being built like a tank for what they are. Battery life is off the charts as well. The T1&2, H1&2 being the smallest, lightest available.

Some prefer the EOTech for the slightly bigger window, different reticle, etc.

No idea on Sig optics, but based on price I doubt the quality.

For reasons above, I have two Aimpoints, and older M3, and an H1. Just to be safe, I replace the batteries every 2 1/2- 3 years. 99% of the time I'm shooting inside 125 yards these days, so they work for me. You must decide your intended purpose for your PDW, try to match the optic to that. Given the shorter barrel, I don't see why an H2 won't work for you.


Although they come at a lower price; I've actually heard good things about Sig's optics. Would like to get some first-hand user experience if anyone here owns one.
-LWRCi Logan
Email me here: LBetterton@LWRCI.com

Image
User avatar
LoganBetterton
Moderator
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:21 pm
Location: Salisbury



Return to Optics Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests