BDC on the Nightforce NXS/Leupold D-EVO

Discussion about all things optic. Learn and share your knowledge with others. Ask the industry experts questions. Be and educated buyer and user and squeeze all of the capability out of your small arms systems.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

BDC on the Nightforce NXS/Leupold D-EVO

Postby fmxmyway » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:57 pm

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed before but can any of you optics Jedi's verify that a gridded reticle designed and marked for a 16 inch barreled 556 is pretty much useless for a 14.5 inch barreled 556?

Here is the reticle and scope in question. I assume the "4,5, and 6" 100 yard designations will no longer be valid? Also, if a rifle is suppressed, will this also render a marked BDC grid useless?

http://nightforceoptics.com/nxs/1-4x24
Attachments
FC-3GILL.png
FC-3GILL.png (27.56 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
Last edited by fmxmyway on Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never Above You, Never Below You, Always Beside You.
fmxmyway
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Re: BDC on the Nightforce NXS 1-4x24

Postby mgrande » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:18 pm

I wouldn't say it was "useless". I'm not a ballistics guru but I would imagine the difference between the two would be minimal with anything you'd be shooting with a 1-4.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson
mgrande
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:16 am

^Probably this. I would guess that the difference in precision is unlikely to be greater than the variation of shot placement from shot to shot of the rifle/shooter.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby fmxmyway » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:59 am

Thank you gets for the intel. I assumed it wouldn't make a huge difference 600 yards and in but being as though you guys are wayyyyy more knowledgeable about glass than I am I wanted to get a consensus before I went ahead and picked up some glass for my 14.5 IC.
fmxmyway
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby fmxmyway » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:20 am

Actually this new Leupold D-EVO looks like it would mate well with my Aimpoint T1. What do you guys think? The only drawback I can think of is debris making its way onto the lense from the ejection port.

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/01/16/le ... o-and-lco/
fmxmyway
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Re: BDC on the Nightforce NXS/Leupold D-EVO

Postby echo419 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:42 am

After I sold my Acog, I swore off using anything with a BDC in it. They are set for a specific caliber from a specific barrel, using a specific load at a specific altitude and temperature. If you don't match them perfectly, the shot will be off. The BDC will get you "combat effective" hits quickly, which is what it was designed to do. But there's nothing precise about it.
echo419
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby TH317 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:53 pm

echo419 wrote:After I sold my Acog, I swore off using anything with a BDC in it. They are set for a specific caliber from a specific barrel, using a specific load at a specific altitude and temperature. If you don't match them perfectly, the shot will be off. The BDC will get you "combat effective" hits quickly, which is what it was designed to do. But there's nothing precise about it.

I would like to echo this statement. (See what I did there?) Also, my understanding, for a long time now, has been that even if all the environmental protocols are in place, past 400 yards any intended hits are 90% luck. For an under-600-yard-rifle (your intended max range, not the gun's capability) I would go with Mil-Dot or TMR type reticles. Anything over 600, I would lean more towards a Horus reticle. JMTC
Troy

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6." - Col. Jeff Cooper

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." - John Stuart Mill
TH317
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby echo419 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:23 pm

Nice pun, lol. When I was using the Acog BDC, I mapped out the BDC holds in inches using ballistic software. I then mapped my load from my gun in my environment and came up with the corrections to get hits. They worked like clockwork to 400 yards, and then vanished at 500 yards. Wind might have had something to do with it, and of course shooting 5.56 into a sand berm at 500 yards sure didn't help to spot impacts. But the reality of memorizing a set of holds on top of the BDC was just redundant and overly complicated.
echo419
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby fmxmyway » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:25 am

Thank you gents, this is why I love this forum! Probably stick to the Leupold TMR on this one then.
fmxmyway
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Return to Optics Discussion