Visible laser to IR?

Discussion about all things optic. Learn and share your knowledge with others. Ask the industry experts questions. Be and educated buyer and user and squeeze all of the capability out of your small arms systems.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Visible laser to IR?

Postby 3wolves » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:02 am

Hey Guys,

I wasn't sure what other forum section to put this in, but I have a few questions about IR lasers that hopefully somebody has some experience with. I don't know the science behind lasers, so please try to keep it Marine proof.

I'd like a military grade class 3 IR laser. Of course, the individual can't purchase these new. The class 1 lasers look great, but I'm not planning on doing room clearing, I'd like to use one for hunting hog at night in Texas next month, and I've read that the maximum usable range on the class 1 lasers are only about 125 yards max. I'm quite fond of the peq-15 I used in the marines, the range was great and I could zero at 200 meters and it would work well for center of mass at any range between 0 and 240.

My question is: Is there an IR filter that will work on a visible laser the same way that they work on flashlights? I'm not concerned with blooming at close range, but I want to make the laser invisible to the naked eye. (or at least MOSTLY invisible as much as I can get) OR...is there a way to make a visible laser into IR?

Any input appreciated!
"If you teach your kids how to shoot, when to shoot, what to shoot, and where to shoot, freedom will easily be maintained." - Erin Canales
3wolves
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Re: Visible laser to IR?

Postby Adian » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:23 am

Here you go

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_1/1662056_.html

Closest you will get to the peq. Everything is the same about it except it is civilian legal
Adian
Rank 7 Colonel ★★★★★★★

Postby civiliansheepdog » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:26 am

I have seen guys use these out as far as 400 yrds. accurately. As far as hunting further than 100 yrds., I would suggest thermals over an IR laser. But this is the best bang for your buck.

http://tnvc.com/shop/ldi-dbal-i2-class-1-ir-laser/
"Our cause is just; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than to live slaves." - Thomas Jefferson
"Training should be like a bloodless battle, so that battle is like bloody training." - TigerSwan
civiliansheepdog
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby Sandman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:31 am

This just came out from TNVC as well.
http://tnvc.com/shop/l3-insight-atpial- ... -ir-laser/
"the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." Martin Luther King Jr.
Sandman

Postby BigBoss0311 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:06 am

Or just buy one of the several peq15's for sale on other large forums.........
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
BigBoss0311
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Return to Optics Discussion