Some new optics have appeared

Discussion about all things optic. Learn and share your knowledge with others. Ask the industry experts questions. Be and educated buyer and user and squeeze all of the capability out of your small arms systems.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Some new optics have appeared

Postby tommys229 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:40 am

Well all know of the quality of Acogs and so forth, but there really hasn't been any contenders for the "combat" style optic in the budget minded pricing.

Primary Arms and Vortex have both released their own "combat" styled optics and both seem interesting, especially considering the price.

From what little I've seen, the PA wins on price ($250) and reticle. The Vortex reticle is retarded and is priced a little higher ($450).

The problem with the Vortex reticle is they have the 100yard and 200 yard poa as the same cross hair, the manual just says to aim 3" higher at 200 yards, but yet there is a center post that could have been the 100yard zero. Seems like they didn't think their calibration through, not to mention there's no note of what 5.56 load, barrel length, or mv was used for the calibration (all important factors if you are shooting a long barrel/sbr or completely different load). I'm assuming they used either 193 or 855 out of a 16" barrel. The other problem is they set their cross hair width (used for ranging) at 15" based on a silhouette target, and not the 18-20" based on the average man's shoulder width.

Seems like to me the only advantage the Vortex might have is optical clarity and possibly a little more durable.

Anyone had a chance to play with either of these or have any general thoughts?

Note: I'm not considering these for my own use, except maybe as the optic for a cache gun, I just like to build knowledge for when others ask me for Intel and I can give them options based on their finances.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
tommys229
Rank 7 Colonel ★★★★★★★

Re: Some new optics have appeared

Postby Berak » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:03 am

I'm thinking of trying out the Primary Arms 5X combat optic. For $300 seems like a good deal. The eye relief is much better than an ACOG or Browe for one important factor.
Berak
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby USMC91-99 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:28 am

a few friends who provide arms training for a living say the Vortex products for the money are hard to beat.. I don't have experience with them personally but I value their opinions enough to repeat them
USMC91-99
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby ThunderDan19 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:29 am

As of now, I'd say it's hard to go wrong with PA optics either. Everything of theirs I've tried thus far has been rock solid, especially for the price.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
ThunderDan19
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby tact999 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:06 am

BDC reticules aren't for precision, and I think the whole "combat"moniker is thrown around too much these days. I'd like too see how many people stuck in a shite hole overseas would choose any of these "more bang for your buck" optics over what's tried and true.
tact999
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Return to Optics Discussion