Vortex PST 1-4?

Discussion about all things optic. Learn and share your knowledge with others. Ask the industry experts questions. Be and educated buyer and user and squeeze all of the capability out of your small arms systems.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Vortex PST 1-4?

Postby jsha22lr » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:45 pm

I am going to be putting a scope on my A5 pretty soon in the next few weeks. I am considering the Vortex PST 1-4 ( the capped version) and wanted to see if anybody has any comments on this scope. I am also open to any other scope suggestions as well.
IC-A5 Fenrir, M6-SL
jsha22lr
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Re: Vortex PST 1-4?

Postby chris@interstateguns » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:21 pm

jsha22lr wrote:I am going to be putting a scope on my A5 pretty soon in the next few weeks. I am considering the Vortex PST 1-4 ( the capped version) and wanted to see if anybody has any comments on this scope. I am also open to any other scope suggestions as well.

The Vortex PST rifle scopes are awesome entry level tactical scopes that IMHO offer the best bag for the buck. In general, having zero stop, illumination, a matching turret/reticle system, and offered in SFP or FFP makes for a killer line up.

The 1-4 you are speaking of does not have zero stop, however with capped turrets it was designed to shoot with the use of the reticle not really to dial in dopes. Therefore zero stop is not needed. But you still have a matching turret/reticle system as well as illumination.

If you were in the market for a scope that had a BDC reticle I would say take a look at theBurris MTAC rifle scopes.

I'm more of a fan of MIL or MOA based reticles personally because they can be used to do more things, and is not caliber specific like so many BDC reticles are.

A recommendation on mounts:
Because the LWRC platform is a great lightweight system, we frequently bundle the PSTs with a lightweight mount from AERO precision. Weighing in at 2.98 oz, their one piece base/ring combo is rugged enough for hard usage but not overly built to the point that you add a ton of weight to a great light weight gun.

If you need any help (or want pricing) shoot me a pm.
Interstate Guns is a division of SportOptics.com
Interstate Guns on Facebook
Interstate Guns on YouTube
985.340.1980 ----- Monday-Saturday 9am-6pm
chris@interstateguns
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby BigBoss0311 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Love it. I've had 3 on 3 different rifles. It is my go-to optic for an AR seeing use out to 400 yards.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
BigBoss0311
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby jsha22lr » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:09 pm

BigBoss0311 wrote:Love it. I've had 3 on 3 different rifles. It is my go-to optic for an AR seeing use out to 400 yards.

That is a pretty sweet set up! Can you tell if there is any distortion at 1X ?
IC-A5 Fenrir, M6-SL
jsha22lr
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby STONEYARDER » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:20 pm

chris@interstateguns wrote:
jsha22lr wrote:I am going to be putting a scope on my A5 pretty soon in the next few weeks. I am considering the Vortex PST 1-4 ( the capped version) and wanted to see if anybody has any comments on this scope. I am also open to any other scope suggestions as well.

The Vortex PST rifle scopes are awesome entry level tactical scopes that IMHO offer the best bag for the buck. In general, having zero stop, illumination, a matching turret/reticle system, and offered in SFP or FFP makes for a killer line up.

The 1-4 you are speaking of does not have zero stop, however with capped turrets it was designed to shoot with the use of the reticle not really to dial in dopes. Therefore zero stop is not needed. But you still have a matching turret/reticle system as well as illumination.

If you were in the market for a scope that had a BDC reticle I would say take a look at theBurris MTAC rifle scopes.

I'm more of a fan of MIL or MOA based reticles personally because they can be used to do more things, and is not caliber specific like so many BDC reticles are.

A recommendation on mounts:
Because the LWRC platform is a great lightweight system, we frequently bundle the PSTs with a lightweight mount from AERO precision. Weighing in at 2.98 oz, their one piece base/ring combo is rugged enough for hard usage but not overly built to the point that you add a ton of weight to a great light weight gun.

If you need any help (or want pricing) shoot me a pm.

Thanks for your input Chris, its nice having an optics guru on the forum! I for one highly appreciate your knowledge on these optic threads...
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby tommys229 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:01 am

For mounts, I have to recommend bobro. They are so far ahead of larue and adm in terms of quality, and the genius behind their locking mechanism is beyond words. No screws or nuts to tighten, no pushing to the front of the rail segment, no nothing. It does everything automatically and can deal with variances of +/- for rail specs
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
tommys229
Rank 7 Colonel ★★★★★★★

Postby jsha22lr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:01 pm

Tommy, what model do you have?
IC-A5 Fenrir, M6-SL
jsha22lr
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby tommys229 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:20 pm

They are all basically the same. But i have the 30mm mount
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
tommys229
Rank 7 Colonel ★★★★★★★

Postby BigBoss0311 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:10 pm

No distortion. Very good glass, easy to acquire. I put mine in Bobro mounts as well. I have the 30mm slightly forward.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
BigBoss0311
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby jsha22lr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Sweet. what model do you have the moa or the mrad?
IC-A5 Fenrir, M6-SL
jsha22lr
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby jsha22lr » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:22 am

Figure I update everybody on my brand new purchase and set up
IC-A5 Fenrir, M6-SL
jsha22lr
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby fmxmyway » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:35 pm

Sick looking set-up. Love how versatile that platform is.
Never Above You, Never Below You, Always Beside You.
fmxmyway
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby fmxmyway » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:44 pm

You have me sold on those bobro mounts tommys. I thought you were crazy when you said they were better than Larue but hawtdamn, I'm all hot and bothered now after checking them out. I always thought larue were pretty solid mounting system but I hate how it dents the aluminum off the picatinny rail.
Never Above You, Never Below You, Always Beside You.
fmxmyway
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby jsha22lr » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:00 pm

fmxmyway wrote:Sick looking set-up. Love how versatile that platform is.

Much appreciated. Going to be adding a good sling soon, then a light sometime down the road.
IC-A5 Fenrir, M6-SL
jsha22lr
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Both essentials. That's a damn fine carbine you got there. I would have (and did) pop a T-1 on her and keep her light, but a 1-4 does provide some versatile magnification. I have a NF 1-4 that I've used on different rifles and have no problem using it like a T-1 at 1x...it just weighs a lot more.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Next

Return to Optics Discussion