Vortex PST 1-4?

Discussion about all things optic. Learn and share your knowledge with others. Ask the industry experts questions. Be and educated buyer and user and squeeze all of the capability out of your small arms systems.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Vortex PST 1-4?

Postby jsha22lr » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:17 am

bastardsonofelvis wrote:Both essentials. That's a damn fine carbine you got there. I would have (and did) pop a T-1 on her and keep her light, but a 1-4 does provide some versatile magnification. I have a NF 1-4 that I've used on different rifles and have no problem using it like a T-1 at 1x...it just weighs a lot more.

Thank you sir. A T1 was second choice, but I'm going to get a lot more versatility out of a 1-4 like you said. With my eyes, a 1-4 gives me the best of both worlds, so I'm willing to go a little heavier if it means more versatility. I still haven't zeroed the darn thing yet, haven't been able to make it to an out door range.
IC-A5 Fenrir, M6-SL
jsha22lr
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Re: Vortex PST 1-4?

Postby jsha22lr » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:06 am

If I get a zero for an inch low at 25 yards, would that put me in the rough ball park at 100? I was thinking that the 25 zero that people use for red dots would apply for scopes as well correct? Going to a 100 yard range is kinda difficult for me to do, so a indoor range is really the only place i got to go. Any suggestions?
IC-A5 Fenrir, M6-SL
jsha22lr
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:35 am

jsha22lr wrote:If I get a zero for an inch low at 25 yards, would that put me in the rough ball park at 100? I was thinking that the 25 zero that people use for red dots would apply for scopes as well correct? Going to a 100 yard range is kinda difficult for me to do, so a indoor range is really the only place i got to go. Any suggestions?

It should. You'll probably be a few inches high at 100yds, but certainly minute of man.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby civiliansheepdog » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:09 am

jsha22lr wrote:If I get a zero for an inch low at 25 yards, would that put me in the rough ball park at 100? I was thinking that the 25 zero that people use for red dots would apply for scopes as well correct? Going to a 100 yard range is kinda difficult for me to do, so a indoor range is really the only place i got to go. Any suggestions?

Best advice I've seen for zeroing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9oXGT55cV8
"Our cause is just; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than to live slaves." - Thomas Jefferson
"Training should be like a bloodless battle, so that battle is like bloody training." - TigerSwan
civiliansheepdog
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:05 pm

civiliansheepdog wrote:

Best advice I've seen for zeroing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9oXGT55cV8

Bookmarked. Good stuff.
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby jsha22lr » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:25 pm

That video was amazing.

I just zeroed mine at 25 using some PMC bronze, will do a final 100 yard zero this weekend with some 70 grain tsx. The 25 yard zero was just to get me sighted in for something. Nice cluster of 5 I think.
IC-A5 Fenrir, M6-SL
jsha22lr
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby Horsemover » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:16 am

I have been researching and flip flopping between a dot and a 1x4. Leaning towards 1x4 and the PST was in the lead after considering price. Any updated thoughts or others to consider in this price range? For those that have been shooting these for awhile any regrets or are you still loving them?
Horsemover
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby jsha22lr » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:29 pm

Horsemover wrote:I have been researching and flip flopping between a dot and a 1x4. Leaning towards 1x4 and the PST was in the lead after considering price. Any updated thoughts or others to consider in this price range? For those that have been shooting these for awhile any regrets or are you still loving them?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, kinda been out of the loop for a while. Updates, yes this scope is pretty nice. Mine has held zero after being thrown around in the back seat of my 4runner, and taking the scope off and on. I love it, but I do have one negative, and that is the adjustment ring. I suggest getting a throw lever right of the bat, it will make life a lot easier when your going from 1x to 4x. Other than that, I love it.

If your still considering an actual scope and can wait a little while till the summer, Vortex is going to release the 1-6 Strike Eagle in the summer. So that's an option thats sorta in the same price range as the PST. Your mount can be a big factor also. I like my ADM mount a lot, very solid.
IC-A5 Fenrir, M6-SL
jsha22lr
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby Horsemover » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:31 pm

jsha22lr wrote:
Horsemover wrote:I have been researching and flip flopping between a dot and a 1x4. Leaning towards 1x4 and the PST was in the lead after considering price. Any updated thoughts or others to consider in this price range? For those that have been shooting these for awhile any regrets or are you still loving them?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, kinda been out of the loop for a while. Updates, yes this scope is pretty nice. Mine has held zero after being thrown around in the back seat of my 4runner, and taking the scope off and on. I love it, but I do have one negative, and that is the adjustment ring. I suggest getting a throw lever right of the bat, it will make life a lot easier when your going from 1x to 4x. Other than that, I love it.

If your still considering an actual scope and can wait a little while till the summer, Vortex is going to release the 1-6 Strike Eagle in the summer. So that's an option thats sorta in the same price range as the PST. Your mount can be a big factor also. I like my ADM mount a lot, very solid.

Thanks for the reply. 1-6 would be ideal. Any idea what kind of recticle that Strike Eagle is supposed to have?
Horsemover
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby jsha22lr » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:58 pm

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... dc-reticle

Here you go.

ETA: This is a better picture that includes the reticle subtensions. http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub ... _moa-t.jpg

One the website they also include a detailed description of the reticle.
IC-A5 Fenrir, M6-SL
jsha22lr
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby Horsemover » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:43 pm

jsha22lr wrote:http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-riflescope-ar-bdc-reticle

Here you go.

ETA: This is a better picture that includes the reticle subtensions. http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub ... _moa-t.jpg

One the website they also include a detailed description of the reticle.

Thanks again!!!!
Horsemover
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby acanais55 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:18 am

tommys229 wrote:For mounts, I have to recommend bobro. They are so far ahead of larue and adm in terms of quality, and the genius behind their locking mechanism is beyond words. No screws or nuts to tighten assurances deces, no pushing to the front of the rail segment, no nothing. It does everything automatically and can deal with variances of +/- for rail specs

I think, above all, that we can do better and that we can also ensure that the forum develops quickly.
acanais55
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby STONEYARDER » Wed May 24, 2017 8:39 am

What does that mean?
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Wed May 24, 2017 11:25 am

STONEYARDER wrote:What does that mean?

Probably some kind of cryptic ISIS communication.
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Previous

Return to Optics Discussion