Optic mounts for rifle scope, weigh in please

Discussion about all things optic. Learn and share your knowledge with others. Ask the industry experts questions. Be and educated buyer and user and squeeze all of the capability out of your small arms systems.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Optic mounts for rifle scope, weigh in please

Postby Chumly » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:59 pm

I have the 20" REPR and have my first rifle scope on order from our local dealer. I picked the Bushnell LRS 3-12x 44mm with the G2 reticle as it's pretty affordable for my first "real" scope to grow into and the G2 isn't so busy like the one with the Horus H59 is that I was originally aiming on purchasing.

Anyway, I was looking at the LaRue LT-104 with VFZ and then adding something like the LT724 or the LT-787 for the 2MOA Micro T-1. With those I'm about at $300 for mounts, however the LT-104 doesn't allow other tube diameters for when I move up to a 34mm/35mm tubed scope...I'll basically have to purchase another mount at that time.

So question #1: Is there a ring adapter so that I can order the 35mm LT-104 for the 30mm scope? If so, are there adapters for 35mm -to-34mm if that happens as well?

The next part is more confusing to me and just need some more opinions. I'm now looking into the Spuhr mounts as they seem built like tanks, have some great features I'd more than likely want in the future, and really only $100 more than the multiple mounts I've been leaning toward. I can validate that cost by the very reasoning of having to buy another LT-104 when I get a much better scope in the future while the Spuhr will stay.

Anyone use these at all? They look a bit heavy but looks can be deceiving compared to multiple mounts that just may add up to about the same as the one Spuhr.

So, question #2 is: If you were putting a scope and T-1 on a rifle like mine, what route would you go?

Question #2.1 is if you'd go Spuhr, which one? They have SO many options and not sure which one I'd pick at all as I'm pretty new to all this. Eventually I know I'll have something like the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x 44mm. This might be the killer to my idea of going with a Spuhr for now because the height may change. Seems like if you buy one of these you pick the one tailored to exactly what you want according to a specific scope and rifle config. Seems like it's not the thing for me as I'm not a pro long range shooter at all at this point.

Kill that idea all together and get better first? My gut says to just purchase the mounts for the glassware I have now and get another later on for that future glassware due to not knowing at all what it will be.

Thanks for your spare brain power and knowledge!
Chumly
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Re: Optic mounts for rifle scope, weigh in please

Postby echo419 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:56 pm

1. You can buy both the 30 and 34mm rings for larue's mounts. They dont list them on their website but you can call and order them. While your at it, never buy the non qd mounts. The money you saved you'll quickly wish you had spent when you realize you could move your one optic across platforms as needed. And you'll have a resale value should you need it. Doubt anyone wants to buy non qd Larue mounts, because the qd works so well.

I'm not sure if there are 35-34mm inserts for ring, I know they make them for bubble levels and such. They do make 30 -1" inserts.

2. I wouldn't put a t-1 on a 20" rifle. 18" maybe, 16" most likely but it all depends on my philosophy of use.

Alot of the issue I have with angled irons or an rmr canted to the right side of a larger scope is, okay that works for close shots off your right side shoulder. But now what do you do when your working off your left shoulder? Isn't the whole idea of a 0 magnification optic for cqb or definitely something inside of 100m? More effective for cqb when you can transition shoulders for corners.

My solution is a 1-6x with a daylight illumination setting.
Last edited by echo419 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
echo419
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby BigBoss0311 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:36 am

Personally I would stay away from LaRue. I used to enjoy his products, but now for the same money there are much better out there. The Spuhr mount is a great mount and is built to survive the apocalypse, and includes many features. But you pay for it. A lot. For me, if you are stuck on that combo, I would go with a mount from Bobro or scope rings from Badger, Seekins, or Nightforce. Then I would mount the aimpoint on the side with either the KAC or LaRue offset mount, not on top of the scope as that's just.....awkward.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
BigBoss0311
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:24 pm

You know opinions are like a$$holes -- everybody has one. Mine is that an optic that tops out at 6x or 8x is kind of silly on a 20" REPR, no offense to anyone. 12x isn't too bad. CQB with a weapon with a 20" heavy contour barrel would be like driving nails with a sledgehammer. And shots at 800m and up on 6x would be less than optimal. Offset BUIS, which I like, are for emergency situations on a rifle like that and don't add any weight over regular BUIS.

The bottom line is that the 20" REPR is not a utility rifle. It serves a dedicated purpose: LR.

I agree with BigBoss that if you want to mount a T-1 offset, use a dedicated mount with a QR that puts the T-1 right on the rail. Your setup is already going to be heavy, though, and I personally don't think that's a great option. If you ever intended having to shoot that heavy bitch around a barrier on your offside, you'd be better served by swapping your optic, maybe to a t-1 on a vertical mount. The beauty of QR.

Larue makes a good mount for the money. I've never met him and I understand that he might be kind of a jerk, but he still makes a good mount. Personally, I wouldn't mess around with scope ring inserts. From all accounts Spuhr makes a hell of a mount (never played with one), but I'm not sure the extra dollars get you that much more. I've had a NF mount and now a ADM and I still think Larue has a slight edge over them with respect to design. My pennies.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby Chumly » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:30 pm

Yeah, not on top. The Acog w/ a Triji pistol red-dot on top was a passing thought up front and found it way too weird in the store. Turning the rifle, while breaking the checkweld, didn't feel so awkward as rising my head a bit did.

Is there this underlying doubt (that I also have) that the 20" should never go to indoor ranges again? I live in SoCal and trips to the long ranges are far and few between. I uttered that this would be a long range rifle, but then I'm again thinking about what I would do weekly vise 4 times a year (another baby on the way, life, that stuff). Keep it a long range weapon as intended ya think and get a carbine for the range?

Makes that nice Spuhr seem like something to further look in to, Investment.

What I really do is shoot paper, steel, and perhaps a pig someday. I don't think I can afford a 16" (or legally own a 12") in order to make it a real battle rifle. I picked the 20, I'm stuck with the 20...go with it. T1 is only there because I do like just going to the local range and shooting paper as most long ranges are hours away.

I'll put a placeholder on this and just shoot with the riflescope. I bet ya I'll still have the T-1 on there and at the indoor short range soon enough though just because Megatron is a joy to pull the trigger on and the range is quick to get to (plus it's always fun to bag the Glock and pull out LWRC equipment there). Ironsights...they're on there stock. Duh moment.

FYI: Veteran trying to be real about current usage. That might be my hold up. I'm shooting paper and not people. It's seriously something hard to get over. I feel like John Force being a used car salesman, Ya'll are keeping me in line as my thoughts are random.
Chumly
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby Chumly » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:34 pm

bastardsonofelvis wrote:your pennies
Sir, that's my gut feeling and you summed it up correctly. Or at least the way I need to go.

This thought process hasn't been fun, but that's it in a nutshell. Megatron is a 20", treat it as such. I've been ignoring K.I.S.S., and I'll be the first to say I'm Stupid here.

Here's a nickle for your help.
Chumly
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby BigBoss0311 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:12 pm

LaRue has the least amount of contact with the rail out of the mounts mentioned. That is not a good thing. The Spuhr and Bobro both have more contact with the rail and provide a more solid lockup.
BigBoss0311
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby echo419 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:46 pm

BigBoss0311 wrote:LaRue has the least amount of contact with the rail out of the mounts mentioned. That is not a good thing. The Spuhr and Bobro both have more contact with the rail and provide a more solid lockup.

Sounds like you have a personal vendetta against Larue and I'm not exactly sure why, especially because you list Texas as your state of residence. Is "a more solid lockup" something that is demonstrably measurable? Has a Larue mount ever been proven to loosen during use, break or otherwise fail in operation specifically related to the "amount of rail contact" the mount provides?

I've used quite a few rings and mounts from all makers. I can attest to the quality of Larue rings and mounts 100%. They've never left any ring marks, whereas other makers rings have. All the Larue mounts and rings I've ever used always returned to zero perfectly and exhibited no shift regardless of how many times I removed and remounted.

Do I enjoy spending $200 or more for rings or mounts? Heck no. But looking at other options, the Spuhr mounts and rings I've seen are twice the price, guaranteed to weigh more than Larue rings and have no QD option.

I really couldn't care what solution the op chooses to his scope mounting issues. The only thing I care about is reality and the truth. To that end, stating that Larue rings provide an inadequate amount of "rail contact" and are somehow inferior to others based solely on this "criteria" is completely inaccurate. Everything has pro's and con's, use what works best for you.
echo419
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby JimIslander » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:08 pm

You can't go wrong with LaRue mounts. They are widely recognized as some of the finest made.
* 6-years of loyal service *

ISLANDER'S LAW: Registration is Preparation for Confiscation.
JimIslander
Rank 7 Colonel ★★★★★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 pm

echo419 wrote:
BigBoss0311 wrote:LaRue has the least amount of contact with the rail out of the mounts mentioned. That is not a good thing. The Spuhr and Bobro both have more contact with the rail and provide a more solid lockup.

Sounds like you have a personal vendetta against Larue and I'm not exactly sure why, especially because you list Texas as your state of residence. Is "a more solid lockup" something that is demonstrably measurable? Has a Larue mount ever been proven to loosen during use, break or otherwise fail in operation specifically related to the "amount of rail contact" the mount provides?

I've used quite a few rings and mounts from all makers. I can attest to the quality of Larue rings and mounts 100%. They've never left any ring marks, whereas other makers rings have. All the Larue mounts and rings I've ever used always returned to zero perfectly and exhibited no shift regardless of how many times I removed and remounted.

Do I enjoy spending $200 or more for rings or mounts? Heck no. But looking at other options, the Spuhr mounts and rings I've seen are twice the price, guaranteed to weigh more than Larue rings and have no QD option.

I really couldn't care what solution the op chooses to his scope mounting issues. The only thing I care about is reality and the truth. To that end, stating that Larue rings provide an inadequate amount of "rail contact" and are somehow inferior to others based solely on this "criteria" is completely inaccurate. Everything has pro's and con's, use what works best for you.

Exactly. At what point is more rail contact academic. I don't do it because why would you, but I could carry my 20" REPR by its LT104 and NF scope and I'd bet you a new mount that the zero wouldn't change.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby BigBoss0311 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:35 am

No vendetta, just stating a fact. I love the dillo dust and have several LaRue products. However, after doing my own research, and with all the new products on the market, it is apparent there are better products out there in the same price range. Companies have come out and improved on the QD scope mount design and LaRue has not improved his design. I'm not saying it is a bad one, just an older one that has room for improvement with the new products that are being offered by other companies. As far as listing Texas, that has nothing to do with it. I will buy the best product because it is the best product for the job, regardless of origin. We all have our opinions and we all have our favorites. Hell, we are all on this forum because we love LWRC products. If I said LWRC was a better company than BCM (just throwing it out there) on other forums, some people would take exception to that. We could point out many reasons why LWRC rifles are in fact better than BCM's, but people would still be upset. Same thing here. LaRue makes good good stuff and it works. But are there better products in the same price range that have the same criteria as the LaRue mount? Absolutely.
BigBoss0311
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby tact999 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:48 am

^^^^This+1! There are several better mounts than Larue. FWIW I was a loyal patron of their mounts until I tried out others. Different strokes for different folks.....
tact999
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby echo419 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:46 am

Fair enough.
echo419
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Return to Optics Discussion