Trijicon VCOG 1-6x24

Discussion about all things optic. Learn and share your knowledge with others. Ask the industry experts questions. Be and educated buyer and user and squeeze all of the capability out of your small arms systems.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Trijicon VCOG 1-6x24

Postby CalBear96 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:52 am

Last SHOT show I was saying it would be so great to have a mini accupoint with the ACOG reticle as I fins the 4x ACOG eye relief to be a bit short. Lo and behold I went to see if there were anything new to get excited about and there was the VCOG (Variable Combat Optical Gunsight!) 4" eye relief. Wondering if anyone has actually seen one in person and gotten to play with one. MSRP is supposed to be about $2200.
This seems to fill the gap between the traditional scopes and the ACOG. Very exciting. I imagine the glass quality would be stellar as most Trijicon glass is.
Anyway, just wanted to let people know about it (I may be way late to the party but have not seen any posts on this) and/or see if any FFL's already have seen demos to get them interested in ordering.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/ ... hp?id=VCOG
M6IC-A5 FENRIR
Glock 22
Beretta 92FS
Ed Brown Special Forces 1911 (on order)
CalBear96
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Re: Trijicon VCOG 1-6x24

Postby Campy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 am

There has been some discussion in here about it. I can't remember the threads name though. I believe it is not available until next month at the earliest. There seems to be mixed reviews on it. I have not seen one yet including demo pieces. For about the same price take a look at the Leupold 1-6x24 if you are thinking of an optic along those lines.
LWRC M6-IC
HK P30 9mm
HK45 Full size
Colt Defender 45
Campy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby CalBear96 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks for the advice. I do like the Leupold gear.
M6IC-A5 FENRIR
Glock 22
Beretta 92FS
CalBear96
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby Campy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:10 pm

You are welcome. My dealer called me up about the Leupold, I went in and looked through it and now it's on layaway. It will be going on my IC that I have.
LWRC M6-IC
HK P30 9mm
HK45 Full size
Colt Defender 45
Campy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby Angel Harsh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Campy wrote:You are welcome. My dealer called me up about the Leupold, I went in and looked through it and now it's on layaway. It will be going on my IC that I have.

Not sure if you are talking about the VX-6 line of optics, but I have my eye on this Leupold VX-6 in the $1,000.00 range.
http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-6x24-VX-6-Mul ... 57682.aspx
"Oath Keepers....Not On Our Watch"
Angel Harsh
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby Campy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Angel Harsh wrote:
Campy wrote:You are welcome. My dealer called me up about the Leupold, I went in and looked through it and now it's on layaway. It will be going on my IC that I have.

Not sure if you are talking about the VX-6 line of optics, but I have my eye on this Leupold VX-6 in the $1,000.00 range.
http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-6x24-VX-6-Mul ... 57682.aspx

It's actually the new Mark 6 from Leupold. It's new for 2013. You can find it on their website.
LWRC M6-IC
HK P30 9mm
HK45 Full size
Colt Defender 45
Campy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby CalBear96 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:05 am

I actually looked at that Mark 6 at SHOT 2012 and loved it and the price they estimated was waaaay off what it came out at. I still think it is phenomenal. I like the reticle better than the VCOG and it is very bright and built like a tank, though I am sure the VCOG is as well.

On a side note, at a similar price point is the US Optics SR-8c which is a 1-8 and has the coolest illumination I have seen. It is a bright blue and contrasts very well against any background. FFP and default reticle is in mils. Buddy picked one up for cheap at the show and we had fun playing with it on the streets of Vegas... So many good scopes, sometimes you just have to pick one and know you can't go wrong with any of the three you are choosing between. Only thing I did not like was the brightness was controlled by a button instead of a knob. Here is the link.

http://www.usoptics.com/optics/sr-8c.html
M6IC-A5 FENRIR
Glock 22
Beretta 92FS
CalBear96
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby Angel Harsh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:29 am

CalBear96 wrote:I actually looked at that Mark 6 at SHOT 2012 and loved it and the price they estimated was waaaay off what it came out at. I still think it is phenomenal. I like the reticle better than the VCOG and it is very bright and built like a tank, though I am sure the VCOG is as well.

On a side note, at a similar price point is the US Optics SR-8c which is a 1-8 and has the coolest illumination I have seen. It is a bright blue and contrasts very well against any background. FFP and default reticle is in mils. Buddy picked one up for cheap at the show and we had fun playing with it on the streets of Vegas... So many good scopes, sometimes you just have to pick one and know you can't go wrong with any of the three you are choosing between. Only thing I did not like was the brightness was controlled by a button instead of a knob. Here is the link.

http://www.usoptics.com/optics/sr-8c.html

I agree, in this price point I like the Trijicon VCOG Reticle better plus it comes with its own mount. Thats why I posted the Leupold VX-6 with the Firedot Circle Reticle at half the price point and I will throw another at a lower price point which I like the BTR-1 Reticle.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-65x24-Elite- ... 51671.aspx
Angel Harsh
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby Campy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:40 am

I preferred the recticle on the Leupold better especially for quick holdovers and acquisition. The recticle is the CMR-W that I went with. One of the main things I didn't like about the Vcog is that it has the built-in base which doesn't leave you much choice for mounting choices.
LWRC M6-IC
HK P30 9mm
HK45 Full size
Colt Defender 45
Campy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby DarwinG31 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:33 am

Campy wrote:I preferred the recticle on the Leupold better especially for quick holdovers and acquisition. The recticle is the CMR-W that I went with. One of the main things I didn't like about the Vcog is that it has the built-in base which doesn't leave you much choice for mounting choices.

The built in mount limiting options is also my main concern.
DarwinG31
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby Campy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:49 am

If the base was offered in different heights then maybe, but since it is not, you would have to adjust your cheek weld/sight line, etc.... for the attached base. To me, that doesn't make much sense. I am surprised they are using a attached base and no options. Seems to me that that is limiting your demographics for sales.
LWRC M6-IC
HK P30 9mm
HK45 Full size
Colt Defender 45
Campy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby Angel Harsh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:58 pm

Campy wrote:If the base was offered in different heights then maybe, but since it is not, you would have to adjust your cheek weld/sight line, etc.... for the attached base. To me, that doesn't make much sense. I am surprised they are using a attached base and no options. Seems to me that that is limiting your demographics for sales.

I agree 100%. Makes me wonder sometimes the geniuses that come up with these ideas.
Angel Harsh
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby Campy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Angel Harsh wrote:
Campy wrote:If the base was offered in different heights then maybe, but since it is not, you would have to adjust your cheek weld/sight line, etc.... for the attached base. To me, that doesn't make much sense. I am surprised they are using a attached base and no options. Seems to me that that is limiting your demographics for sales.

I agree 100%. Makes me wonder sometimes the geniuses that come up with these ideas.

+1
LWRC M6-IC
HK P30 9mm
HK45 Full size
Colt Defender 45
Campy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby CalBear96 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Didn't even think of that! I knew I posted stuff here for a reason. The advice and opinions are truly constructive and help to reinforce how much I don't know about what I don't know. lol
M6IC-A5 FENRIR
Glock 22
Beretta 92FS
CalBear96
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby Sleeper362 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:41 pm

I like the fixed base because it eliminates one more spot where things can get loose and fall out of zero. I'm also sure they had to do that to make it strong enough to pass a drop test or some kind of test that ACOGs can pass. If they say its as strong as an ACOG, its as strong as an ACOG. Trijicon is one of the few companies I would bet my life on. Their products flat out work.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~ Ben Franklin
Sleeper362
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Next

Return to Optics Discussion