Aimpoint Astigmatism/variable optic for my i5

Discussion about all things optic. Learn and share your knowledge with others. Ask the industry experts questions. Be and educated buyer and user and squeeze all of the capability out of your small arms systems.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Aimpoint Astigmatism/variable optic for my i5

Postby midwestAR » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:24 am

Installed a new Aimpoint Pro on my 14.7" ICA5 w/SSA-E. Love the quality of the Aimpoint Pro and the cowitness with the LDub BUIS is sweet.
I was shocked to see that the red dot was not round, all over the place. Also a red ring around the edges at higher intensities.
After a ton of testing and study learned that the issue is my eyes not the Aimpoint. Astigmatism makes the red dot look more like a diamond for me even w/my contacts in.

Apparently variable optics or etched reticles (ACOG/VCOG, any 1-4, 1-6, 1-8 should work great. It's just red dots and holographic sights that cause issues like this.
Unless I get LASIK this will be something I have to live with apparently. Not a major issue (my eyesight is actually fine w/glasses or contacts in) but I'm not ready for an eye operation (cost, and general concerns).

I'd be grateful for your thoughts on Aimpoint/red dot alternatives that you would recommend to me as a replacement for the Aimpoint Pro/T2 or any other red dot (I'll be sad to see it go, but optics planet will give me a full refund or exchange). I very much appreciate your council, thanks so much in advance, MWAR
midwestAR
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Re: Aimpoint Astigmatism/variable optic for my i5

Postby LoganBetterton » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:31 am

midwestAR wrote:Installed a new Aimpoint Pro on my 14.7" ICA5 w/SSA-E. Love the quality of the Aimpoint Pro and the cowitness with the LDub BUIS is sweet.
I was shocked to see that the red dot was not round, all over the place. Also a red ring around the edges at higher intensities.
After a ton of testing and study learned that the issue is my eyes not the Aimpoint. Astigmatism makes the red dot look more like a diamond for me even w/my contacts in.

Apparently variable optics or etched reticles (ACOG/VCOG, any 1-4, 1-6, 1-8 should work great. It's just red dots and holographic sights that cause issues like this.
Unless I get LASIK this will be something I have to live with apparently. Not a major issue (my eyesight is actually fine w/glasses or contacts in) but I'm not ready for an eye operation (cost, and general concerns).

I'd be grateful for your thoughts on Aimpoint/red dot alternatives that you would recommend to me as a replacement for the Aimpoint Pro/T2 or any other red dot (I'll be sad to see it go, but optics planet will give me a full refund or exchange). I very much appreciate your council, thanks so much in advance, MWAR

I have no personal experience with that exact issue. But it seems the general consensus for a red dot alternative (with etched reticle) is the Trijicon Acog as mentioned.
-LWRCi Logan
Email me here: LBetterton@LWRCI.com

LoganBetterton

Postby rcrandall » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:21 am

I have a VCOG that works great but it is heavy not to mention expensive.
Write drunk; edit sober - Ernest Hemingway
rcrandall

Postby STONEYARDER » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Dont look at the dot when aiming. You should only be looking at your target and the dot is in the background, like how you use a rear sight on a pistol or rifle. So in a sense your looking past the red dot. You also want to keep it at its lowest setting possible for the lighting conditions you are shooting in. If its to bright it will "star out" and you will also see that red ring. Do you have it pushed out to the end of the upper receiver?
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby van halen » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:06 pm

What he said, also amber lensed shooting glasses help me with that issue. YMMV..
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:10 am

I have a slight astigmatism, too. To the best of my knowledge, because it is caused by the actual curvature of the cornea and sometimes irregularities in the lens, there is no way to correct it. It only bothers me when shooting at longer ranges with the RDS because I see a scattered dot, sometimes it is even split in half. When aiming at a torso from 100yds on I have to select the portion of the scattered dot I wish to use as my POA and zero the optic based on that pinpoint. It works. At ranges inside of 100yds I don't really see the dot at all, it's only when I have to focus on a small, distant target. Hope that helps if you want to keep the Aimpoint.

Oh, and you should only use the higher brightness settings if it's really, really bright out. Always use the lowest setting that you can pick up quickly in your current light conditions. That also helps a lot with with the scatter.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby midwestAR » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:38 am

Thank you all so much for your incredibly helpful replies.
I’m convinced that I can make an Aimpoint work despite my astigmatism.
I did send the PRO back as it was within 30 days and am exchanging for a t2.

I’ve read that the dot of the t2 is better formed and more forgiving of eye issues such as I described.
Also the weight is a big factor, while the PRO is a tank! It’s also heavy and weighed down the 14.7.
For the t2 it will come with a stock mount: I’m wondering whether I should use that or go with another for lower 1/3 cowitness.

A brief search of course led me to Larue, but I also saw Geissele, bobro, GG&G etc. Thanks for your thoughts on mounts also! Also does anyone use the vortex (cheap!) magnifier w/a t2 or should I stay Aimpoint all the way, Eotech or just ditch the magnifier idea altogether, thanks so much
midwestAR
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby STONEYARDER » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:24 am

The lower third mount is the way to go. My first mount was the absolute co-witness and I found that I really had to lean my head down into the cheek weld to pick up the dot, wasn't comfortable and didn't feel natural. The lower third is a little higher and is easier to pick up quickly when I bring my head to the stock. The Larue, Bobro and GDI mounts are all GTG. The Geissle is not a quick detach but is rock solid as well. Take a look at the Scalarworks and KDG mounts as well.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/optic-mounts/ldm-micro/
https://kineticdg.com/product/sidelok-a ... -t2-h1-h2/

It depends if you are going to be switching out the optic for another then a quick detach is nice. I use mine to simulate an optic failure while training and just pop it off and run my irons. Sport Optics has a 17% off sale on the T2 with and without different mounts. CC is REDDOT17 and they have free shipping. I have bought several optics from them and they are great to deal with.
http://www.sportoptics.com/aimpoint-micro-t-2.aspx

On the magnifier, that's all personal preference. The T2 will easily get me hits on a 8" steel plate at 200 yards. Some guys here are running them out past that,3-400 yards. It will add weight for just a little magnification in return. Run the T-2 for a while first then think about add ons. Personally I would either run the T2 or swap it out for a dedicated 1-6x, that's where the QD mounts really shine.
STONEYARDER

Postby ForceMultiplier » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:24 pm

I have the same problem on my T1 and H1s. The magnifier makes it worse.
The astigmatism was much less bothersome with a chevron. Take a look through an ACOG or a holosun with a chevron and see what you think.

You could also try a contact lens that corrects for astigmatism.
ForceMultiplier
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:55 pm

STONEYARDER wrote:The lower third mount is the way to go. My first mount was the absolute co-witness and I found that I really had to lean my head down into the cheek weld to pick up the dot, wasn't comfortable and didn't feel natural. The lower third is a little higher and is easier to pick up quickly when I bring my head to the stock. The Larue, Bobro and GDI mounts are all GTG. The Geissle is not a quick detach but is rock solid as well. Take a look at the Scalarworks and KDG mounts as well.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/optic-mounts/ldm-micro/
https://kineticdg.com/product/sidelok-a ... -t2-h1-h2/

All of this. I met the Scalarworks guy at a Haley class this past winter -- interesting cat. I got to play with some of his mounts and they're solid and so light you really have to hold one to believe it. I haven't had the occasion to buy a micro mount since then but when I do I'll probably look his way. I have micros on Larue lower third mounts and others on larue absolute mounts and although the absolute cowitness mounts work well where space is at a premium, the higher mount is much more natural and faster on target. I usually opt for a QR mounts because why not? They're as reliable and can come off in a hurry, although if they cowitness, even lower third, you won't need it to even if it fails.

I played with a magnifier once and didn't like it. It seemed awkward on the gun when rotated out of the way, too. Maybe if I only had one, do it all carbine and wanted to keep it light with a micro but have that in my pocket in case I had to take longer shots. Really, though, I've been effective out to 400yds just with the dot and if you have good vision so can you.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby STONEYARDER » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:14 pm

Yep, Phil from Scalorworks is a great dude!
STONEYARDER

Postby 1kydstr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:24 pm

fwiw I use a lot of T1's and T2's on both the lower one third mounts and absolute mounts. I agree, the lower one third is more natural, faster, and with a more heads up position with both eyes open your field of vision is better. However, I also have used T1 on the absolute mounts as my rear aperture when I'm using a rifle with a fixed front site post. In the event of optic failure (not too likely), you don't skip a beat at close range. It's just a big ghost ring sight. Another small advantage to the absolute is that so long as you know your front sight post (fixed or flip-up) is zeroed you can adjust your dot to sit right on top of your post and you're good to go.
1kydstr
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby midwestAR » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:31 pm

I couldn’t be more grateful for all of your advice.
I have sent in the Aimpoint pro and the t2 is on its way.
Also the Larue 660 qd lower 1/3 has been shipped and should arrive any day.
Once I have them both I’ll post an update and pics.
Wishing I had known about Scalarworks before I ordered the Larue.
That said I’m sure I’ll be happy with the 660, I know a ton of users are.
I don’t like how the 660 doesn’t fully align with the Larue magnifier Mount (although it works).
Scalarworks and Bobro lower 1/3 align perfectly with EOtech g33 spacer removed.
I may try an EOtech 3x magnifier just for kicks to see what they’re like.
Can’t wait to get the optic dialed in so I can focus on the surefire suppressor.
Thanks again for all your awesome advice. Midwest
midwestAR
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby STONEYARDER » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:32 pm

The 660 is a rock solid mount, good choice. Don't forget to put the front of the mount out to the end of the upper receiver. I would look around for a used magnifier if you choose to go that route. It seems more people dislike them than like them. I am sure you know this but some readers may not, red dots are always used with both eyes open focusing on the target and never on the dot. :yeah:
STONEYARDER

Postby van halen » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:35 am

Maybe it's just me, but the dot on my older Comp M3 is finer more pronounced than the H2's dot. If I pull my focus back it almost looks like a check mark.

As long as the brightness isn't too high, it still works fine for me.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Return to Optics Discussion