Swarovski Z6i 1-6X24 , BRT-I

Discussion about all things optic. Learn and share your knowledge with others. Ask the industry experts questions. Be and educated buyer and user and squeeze all of the capability out of your small arms systems.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Postby kshutt » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:56 am

I was searching for a sighting system that would be close to a red dot type optic for CQB work, but precise enough for distance work as well. The Swarovski Z6i 1-6X24 with BRT-I reticle looks very promising. This optic will be for the M6IC-SPR 16.1" bbl, FDE that I just purchased.

I would like opinions on my selection, as well as the opinions of actual owners of this particular scope. I'm also trying to decide the best QD mount, and currently looking at one of the Bobro mounts. Pretty confused about which mount to select between the standard, slightly forward, or extended mounts. Then, deciding whether I should get the particular model with a 0 or 20 MOA cant is the next decision. What say you?
kshutt
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby Campy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:05 am

Have you looked at the Leupold MK6 1-6? I have it and love it. I think it's a great scope, glass is clear. Not sure of the cost of the Swarovski compared to the Leupold. In reference to the 0 or 20 MOA mount, for the distances that the 5.56 can go, I don't see the need for the 20 MOA unless you are doing some heavy terrain difference shooting.....IE: up/down a mountain side.
Last edited by Campy on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
LWRC M6-IC
HK P30 9mm
HK45 Full size
Colt Defender 45
Campy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Re: Swarovski Z6i 1-6X24 , BRT-I

Postby echo419 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:23 pm

2nd vote on Leupold mark 6 1-6x Have it. Love it. Just wish it had adjustable focus but not a show stopper. I would go 10 moa if anything, just in case you were to run out of elevation. Mounted on my scar 17s with larue 10moa mount I've got 11mills of elevation and 30 mills on the reticle. Meaning I can dial to 1000yards and hold over till 1870yards. Waaayyy more than enough.
echo419
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby shot » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:35 pm

I guess I have an opinion...

I was torn between this and the an Elcan. This is a great optic.
The red dot option works as it should. It is fast and picks up easily.
You can run the red dot or not while still using the reticle.
No need to say since this is a Swarovski but the glass is very high quality.
I have this mounted with a Larue mount and have had no issues in loss of zero.
The 1-6 works well with the included cat tail with very little unperceivable distortion.
The red dot actually turns itself off automatically when the rifle is slung and then turns on automatically when raised. You will never notice this feature since the angles are extreme. It wont turn off just aiming up hill or down.
The red dot is adjustable in brightness.
It is a fine optic but there are many out there.
I am pleased with my decision to mount this optic onto my 14.7" LWRCi MJOLNOR REPR.
"Getting shot sucks balls." - Mike L. June 2013. (God speed on the recovery)

Evil Preaches Tolerance Until It Is Dominant, Then Seeks to Silence Good
shot
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby kshutt » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for all of the replies so far, gentlemen. The crazy thing is that the only other real contender for me was the Leupold Mark 6 (115045) TMR-D reticle. I tried hard to like the CMR-W reticle, but it was just too busy for my taste. The one that had my attention was the TMR-D reticle. It appeared to be "sort of" like a red dot at 1X, but the illuminated portion on 6X seemed to obstruct the target if precision was the goal. One reviewer described it as a "7 MOA blob." It honestly caused me to keep on searching.

After looking at some pretty nifty camera work taken through the lens of the Swarovski Z6i, I was sold. The red dot on 1X appears to be very crisp, and the crosshairs look pretty stellar to me on 6X. I just don't see a better choice out there at any price right now. It has also come to my attention that owners of this particular scope seem to really like it.
kshutt
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby echo419 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:16 pm

If your at 6x trying to make a precise shot, turn off the illumination. There's an off position in between every setting. Complete non issue.
echo419
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby kshutt » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:14 am

echo419,

I'm assuming that you have the TMR-D reticle, correct? The segmented pieces that surround the crosshairs look like they'll obstruct say a 3" circle at 100 yards whether illuminated or not. Please give me a few more details about how this scope performs on 1X and 6X.
kshutt
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby echo419 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:55 am

Yea I have the TMR-D. I ran as fast as I could from BDC based reticles once I started getting into precision shooting. They are never matched with your bullet, your barrel, your altitude and atmosphere. They are meant for getting close in a combat situation, not to absolutely match what your shooting for precision.

The TMR-D at 1x reminds me of my aimpoint t1 with a cross hair. At 6x you can see the interrupted circle that gets illuminated. This section is always visible, weather illuminated or not. However there is a very precise dot in the center of the cross hairs which do not intersect. The amount of "Bloom" is controlled by the illumination setting. You can turn it up to really get your attention, or turn it down to match your lighting conditions. If you match the conditions the illumination is very crisp.

Keep in mind that at distance, when you want to be as precise as possible, you will most likely be using the 5mill mark (my hold for 660m) so you wont have the target being obscured by the illumination marks.

This approximates what you'll see at 1x with lots of illumination Image

This is at 6x with maximum illumination, showing full Bloom

Showing the crisp lines of the illumination when matched to the lighting conditions. Those segments will always be visible. Red when illum, black when not.

And my scar17s 3 shot group @ 100m

echo419
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby echo419 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:59 am

BTW there's a guy on snipers hide selling a tmr-d with mount for 1700

http://forum.snipershide.com/optics-sal ... mount.html
echo419
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby claricia52 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 am

Campy wrote:Have you looked at the Leupold MK6 1-6? I have it and love it. I think it's a great scope, glass is clear. Not sure of the cost of the Swarovski compared to the Leupold. In reference to the 0 or 20 MOA mount simulateur de taux, for the distances that the 5.56 can go, I don't see the need for the 20 MOA unless you are doing some heavy terrain difference shooting.....IE: up it down a mountain side.

But how much did you do lately. Because your gun could wait 500 m if my memory is good.
claricia52
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby 1kydstr » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:15 am

Kahles K16i all day long. Pretty much the same as the Swaro but a little more rugged. I use the Bobro B03-200-300 (0 MOA). I like the self-adjusting single lever mount because it takes up less rail and I can move it easily between rifles.
1kydstr
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Return to Optics Discussion