Red dot magnifier question

Discussion about all things optic. Learn and share your knowledge with others. Ask the industry experts questions. Be and educated buyer and user and squeeze all of the capability out of your small arms systems.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Red dot magnifier question

Postby 3wolves » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:15 am

Hey, so I'm brand new to magnifiers. I've always run either scopes or red dots stand-alone. I'm looking for the smallest, lightest, most compact magnifier money can buy. It's going on an SBR and I'd prefer not to need to put my stock out farther than I like to normally shoulder it. The shortness/compactness is more important than the weight. I haven't been able to find actual length dimensions of a lot of the brands online. I'm currently considering the following brands but am open to any other suggestions:

-Eotech G33 3x
-Lucid 2x-5x
-Burris AR Tripler gen2
-Vortex VMX 3T

Any help of knowledge would be greatly appreciated, It's difficult for me to tell the size from looking at pictures. Thanks!
"If you teach your kids how to shoot, when to shoot, what to shoot, and where to shoot, freedom will easily be maintained." - Erin Canales
3wolves
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Re: Red dot magnifier question

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:14 am

Why bother? You're fine with 1x out as far as your sbr is capable, esp if it's 5.56.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby 3wolves » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:34 am

I'm not looking to have a debate on the capable range of an SBR since it's been beaten to death, but with the current ammunition I'm using I'm still achieving adequate expansion as far as 350 yards with only a 10.5" barrel. This is strictly a coyote/range toy though. The only point of mentioning it being an SBR was to emphasize running a very short length of pull, so I guess I should have said that instead. If I switch it over to one of my carbines I'll be running just as short of a length of pull. Anyways just looking for smallest/most compact magnifier. (Hitting steel at 800 yards with a 10.5" sure is a hoot also, whether the energy is sufficient or not, it's still fun!)
"If you teach your kids how to shoot, when to shoot, what to shoot, and where to shoot, freedom will easily be maintained." - Erin Canales
3wolves
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby tact999 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:22 am

I've switched to LPVs on most of my SBRs, and find it to be superior to the whole magnifier/red dot combo.
tact999
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby USMC91-99 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 pm

I am running an Aimpoint x3 with a T-2. I know this isn't one of the ones inquired about but I have been very happy with this combination.
USMC91-99
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby STONEYARDER » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:19 am

tact999 wrote:I've switched to LPVs on most of my SBRs, and find it to be superior to the whole magnifier/red dot combo.

LPV?
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby IptbaW » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:11 am

LPV?

Low Power Variable Optic
IptbaW
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby STONEYARDER » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks.
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby BigBoss0311 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:55 pm

the variable is a much better option. you dont have a clunkly magnifier hanging to the side half the time, blocking fov and being worthless. Instead you keep everything in a sleek package. with the price of 1-4, 1-6 and 1-8 optics only getting better. you can get an entire 1-6 or 1-8 optic for the price of a high-end magnifier. They are every bit as fast or faster to employ than a magnifier+red dot combo.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
BigBoss0311
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Return to Optics Discussion