Ferritic Nitrocarburizing Information

The M6 Series of Rifles and Carbines.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Postby wallowinginfun » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:29 am

Ah. Shutting up now.
wallowinginfun
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby UPSguy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:32 pm

Is this finish similar to the "cold blue" that is being mentioned in various forums by the guys doing the indepth 6.8 testing?
The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.
UPSguy
Rank 1 Newbie ★

conversion

Postby mobile7.62 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:24 am

is it possible that i can send in my srt to possibly be converted with to have the ferretic nitrocarburized parts? also, is this finish only on the barrel? does is include other parts as well?
mobile7.62
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby SimonTan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:34 am

UPS....it ain't cold and it ain't blue...... :lol:

mobile....Piston parts are also being nitrided but there's no appreciable difference in function. Your earlier generation piston parts are GTG. Heck, Jesse and Darren are still running their old pistons...... :wink:

Barrels are a different chicken. They cannot nitride your old barrel so just shoot the crap out of it and when it's FUBAR send it in for a new barrel.

Simon
Technik mit Eleganz
SimonTan
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby wallowinginfun » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:34 pm

The smaller and less wear prone parts like the pins mating the upper and lower together (just had a brain fart and can't remember the accepted term) and trigger parts are still standard phosphate though right? I remember reading that these would be bought off the market from reputable sources.
wallowinginfun
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby Whaledriver » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:50 pm

wallowinginfun wrote:The smaller and less wear prone parts like the pins mating the upper and lower together

Takedown pin, perhaps?
A veteran is someone who, at some point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the "United States of America" for any amount [i]"up to and including his life."[/i]
[b]ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ[/b]
Whaledriver
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby borebrush » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:21 am

every part you nitride drives up cost. The Detent pins IMO, don't need it.
The LWRC Armorer Instructor

"The Search Button is your friend.... not me" :P
borebrush
The Hammer

Postby Sandman333 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:36 am

I would imagine that trigger components could benefit from the increased lubricity and wear resistance, no? If I had to choose the one thing I didn't like about my M6A2R, it would easily be the trigger. Mine was horrible from the factory. I could pull part way through, stop before breaking the shot, and then let off, and the trigger would "stick". I would have to push the trigger forward to reset it. I have a Geiselle non-adjustable on order, whenever they become available again.
Speed is fine.
Accuracy is final.
Sandman333
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby Whaledriver » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:03 pm

Sandman333:

Are you really searching? ADCO, Brownelle's, and two or three other companies had the Geiselle non-adjustable trigger in their current inventory: I got three Geiselle triggers from Brownelles's four from ADCO and had them within 5 business days. No disrespect meant, dude, but I found the triggers within ten minutes of reading your post.
A veteran is someone who, at some point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the "United States of America" for any amount [i]"up to and including his life."[/i]
[b]ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ[/b]
Whaledriver
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby Sandman333 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:58 am

I was looking on their websites.... maybe I need to call because the web store isn't accurate?

ADCO, backordered:
http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails ... umber=2411

A search for "SSA Trigger" on Brownell's returns a scope mount. A search for Geiselle returns no matches. A search for "speed trigger" gets you one Geiselle trigger, listed for the .308 AR, and is the adjustable $275 trigger. They don't seem to have any of the SSA's in stock. If you know of someone who does have one ready to ship, please let me know.
Speed is fine.
Accuracy is final.
Sandman333
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby Sandman333 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Considering this finish and how it applies to barrel longevity, I recently sent my Glock barrel back to the factory because I had noticed some apparent pitting in the bore finish. Glock inspected an tested my barrel (21C) and it met all factory specs, including accuracy. I actually got to speak to the tech that worked on my barrel. His comment was that if I could ever wear out a Glock 21 barrel, he would personally buy me a new one. That's for however long I own the gun. I have tens of thousands of rounds through that barrel.

Considering that the LWRCI process is supposed to be comparable to that used by Glock, it speaks volumes about how long these barrels should last. Additionally, the fact that I could talk to the actual tech at Glock that inspected my barrel speaks volumes about their customer service- it's much the same as LWRCI. Kudos to both companies for a fine product.
Speed is fine.
Accuracy is final.
Sandman333
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby Whaledriver » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:14 pm

Sandman333 wrote:I was looking on their websites.... maybe I need to call because the web store isn't accurate?

ADCO, backordered:
http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails ... umber=2411

A search for "SSA Trigger" on Brownell's returns a scope mount. A search for Geiselle returns no matches. A search for "speed trigger" gets you one Geiselle trigger, listed for the .308 AR, and is the adjustable $275 trigger. They don't seem to have any of the SSA's in stock. If you know of someone who does have one ready to ship, please let me know.

Sorry about ADCO . They did have them. Brownell's is another matter: I had to go through their master list to find them and I suspect that you might also. I seem to remember their search function being snafu. Go back to their web site, check the master registry for weapons, weapon parts and then triggers. (I seem to recall that the list was broken down by auto and semi-auto rifles -- these two being intermediate steps between weapons and weapon parts.) If you think that this is confusing, you're right: I had to search their site for more than an hour or two.

If you think their database is confusing, try to find something not AR-15 or 1911 in their catalog.
[b]ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ[/b]
Whaledriver
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby Sandman333 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:36 am

I still only see the one adjustable trigger for the AR-15.
Speed is fine.
Accuracy is final.
Sandman333
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby Whaledriver » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Sandman333 wrote:I still only see the one adjustable trigger for the AR-15.

Where? On Brownell's web site? Or on others?
[b]ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ[/b]
Whaledriver
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby Sandman333 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:05 pm

On Brownells
Speed is fine.
Accuracy is final.
Sandman333
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

PreviousNext

Return to LWRC Products