How long until 6.5 Grendel is offered?

The M6 Series of Rifles and Carbines.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

How long until 6.5 Grendel is offered?

Postby burninglegs » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:12 am

6.5 Grendel is my favorite cartridge for the AR15 by far. Just love it. I know LWRC is invested in 6.8 SPC and now the Valkyrie .224 round. But why not 6.5 Grendel? It is an ever growing and popular round with lots of factory rounds being offered plus cheaper steel case ammo for practice. Lots of hunting and long range shooting use. Demand is growing at my local shop where they are actually starting to stock quite a bit of Grendel ammo and rifles. All within the last year or two. Any reason why it isn't being offered? Just a simple barrel and bolt difference and you are there...
burninglegs
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Re: How long until 6.5 Grendel is offered?

Postby LoganBetterton » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:10 am

burninglegs wrote:6.5 Grendel is my favorite cartridge for the AR15 by far. Just love it. I know LWRC is invested in 6.8 SPC and now the Valkyrie .224 round. But why not 6.5 Grendel? It is an ever growing and popular round with lots of factory rounds being offered plus cheaper steel case ammo for practice. Lots of hunting and long range shooting use. Demand is growing at my local shop where they are actually starting to stock quite a bit of Grendel ammo and rifles. All within the last year or two. Any reason why it isn't being offered? Just a simple barrel and bolt difference and you are there...

I would hold off on buying 6.5 Grendel right now. At least until Shot Show where the 224 will be officially introduced. Once you see the performance and ballistics of the 224, you'll likely have a new favorite. ("Lower recoil, better ballistics - flatter, less drift") Unlike other launches, there are a lot of people on board with this round as well which will help with the price and etc.
-LWRCi Logan
Email me here: LBetterton@LWRCI.com

LoganBetterton

Postby burninglegs » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:57 pm

LoganBetterton wrote:
burninglegs wrote:6.5 Grendel is my favorite cartridge for the AR15 by far. Just love it. I know LWRC is invested in 6.8 SPC and now the Valkyrie .224 round. But why not 6.5 Grendel? It is an ever growing and popular round with lots of factory rounds being offered plus cheaper steel case ammo for practice. Lots of hunting and long range shooting use. Demand is growing at my local shop where they are actually starting to stock quite a bit of Grendel ammo and rifles. All within the last year or two. Any reason why it isn't being offered? Just a simple barrel and bolt difference and you are there...

I would hold off on buying 6.5 Grendel right now. At least until Shot Show where the 224 will be officially introduced. Once you see the performance and ballistics of the 224, you'll likely have a new favorite. ("Lower recoil, better ballistics - flatter, less drift") Unlike other launches, there are a lot of people on board with this round as well which will help with the price and etc.

I already have several 6.5 and prefer it for its wide variety of bullets and hunting capability. .224 Valkyrie sounds like a fun plinking gun/tournaments, but not sure about the real world use outside of that.
burninglegs
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby NMGuy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:55 pm

The .224 Valkyrie will be able to launch a 100gr .224 cal bullet. That bullet, although I hate this term, will have exceptional sectional Density. It will have more energy, and will make an effective medium game bullet.

A 100gr .224 bullet of proper construction will kill anything as well as a 120ish grain 6.5mm bullet or 120gr 6.8mm bullet.

It will also have a better trajectory.
NMGuy
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby NMGuy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:59 pm

And the .224 Valkyrie may be a decent excuse to add a 6.8 SPC. I'm just speculating but I assume most everything will be the same between the two cartridges aside from the barrel and ammo...

Kind of like 5.56 and .300blk.

Variety is the spice of life.
NMGuy
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby van halen » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:26 am

I get what you're saying.

Call me crazy but the difference between 556 and 300 are night and day.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby NMGuy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:02 am

van halen wrote:I get what you're saying.

Call me crazy but the difference between 556 and 300 are night and day.

It was in reference to the parts they have in common. Only thing different is ammo and barrel.

.300blk IMO is more of a pistol cartridge. It has the same case capacity as .45 auto. Hence it's efficiency in a short barrel and the velocity of 220gr bullets being close to .45 auto 230gr. Still a fun cartridge, but I won't pretend it's something it's not.
NMGuy
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby van halen » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm smelling what you're stepping in.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Return to LWRC Products