First day at the range with my M6A2 = broken spring cup

The M6 Series of Rifles and Carbines.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Re: First day at the range with my M6A2 = broken spring cup

Postby A.J. » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:06 pm

She deserved a right hand.... you guys just put her in her place ;)
A.J.

Postby Sleeper362 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Rode her hard and put her up wet.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~ Ben Franklin
Sleeper362
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby chainring » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:07 pm

Sorry I missed that. :)
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
--Frank Outlaw
chainring
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby bryanjusmc » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Ok, so I called customer service this morning and spoke with a rep (AJ) who was very friendly. Before I finished the whole story he guessed that I was using an M4-2000. He explained that he had the same thing happen with his M6A2 and he has heard of others having the same problem using that can although never with so few rounds. He explained that although the M6A2 is able to run suppressed, the efficieny of the M42K causes so much increase in back pressure that some have had issues with premature wear or breakage of springs or spring cups. He mentioned that they are in the process of switching over to a new spring and spring cup that is designed to alleviate this issue, and it is already availalbe on certain models. Although he mentioned that about the new spring/spring cups he said he would still advise someone who would be running a lot of suppressed rounds to switch to a heavier buffer and a stronger buffer spring to further alleviate the extra wear placed upon the system. To wrap things up he suggested that I switch to an H3 buffer and stronger buffer spring myself. Although I had to pay for that myself, he was able to get both for me at cost.. so low I don't even know if I should post it here. On top of that he is sending me 2 new springs and 2 new spring cups at no cost. About 6 hours later I received an email from Fed-Ex with tracking information on a package scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Although it stinks that this happened LWRC stepped up to the plate to stand behind their product and make things right for me. I'm pleased with the customer service so far and besides this very pleased with the rifle, especially given the cup was broken but the thing still ran like a champ. I'm looking forward to getting everything back together and putting it through its paces. I'll report back here with how things go, and if well, pictures and a range report.

PS:
I want to make sure its clear that I wasn't bashing the product or manufacturer by posting the pics and explaining how this happend with such a low round count and I don't want it to serve to discourage anyone interested in getting an LWRC product. I'm putting it out there for the informational purposeses of seeing that this happened given my specific scenario. I hope that it helps educate someone else who might be considering running an M6A2 the same way I do, and possibly save them the small headache ahead of time. Make no mistake, LWRC makes an amazing product and this is no doubt just another verification that they stand behind it. :rock:
bryanjusmc
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby rcrandall » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Hopefully everyone has caught on that Moderators and LWRC staff do not delete things like this. If there is a problem we leave it up because there is nothing to hide and it also shows the customer service of LWRC. Any man made machine can break or have bad parts. If anyone tries to tell me that Colt hasn't had broken guns right out of the box then I would call bullshit, I've seen them myself. When we take issue is when the poster doesn't allow LWRC customer service to do their job and instead comes here and trolls around. The best is when they complain about wear and tear and then refuse to post pcis or contact the company. I have a feeling it's often either bullshit or marks on the brass deflector. :roll:

Bryan did it the correct way. Thanks and Semper Fi.
Write drunk; edit sober - Ernest Hemingway
rcrandall

Postby STONEYARDER » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:49 pm

A.J. said, " One thing to note which Brian did tell me today: His gun still functioned 100% even after the two parts were fried"

Now thats a rock solid rifle!!
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby chainring » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:05 am

BryanjUSMC, I thought your post was particularly even-handed and level-headed. It was easy to tell that you weren't being unreasonable. Just a coherent post explaining conditions, results, with pictures. The result, for me, is that I now know I should probably be running an H3 buffer, too! I've got a LOT of rounds through my A3 and a good hard start on my SPR already, nearly all suppressed. No problems, but the H3 buffers are ordered, thanks to AJ and your informative post! "Iron sharpens iron."

Another result is that I want a 12.7 inch upper even more than I did before, dang your hide. :)
--Frank Outlaw
chainring
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby CarlosDJackal » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:51 am

Very interesting. Have you heard anything like this occurring with other suppressors as well? If so, could you share which ones - I have a YHM SS Phantom myself and I get a face full of gas even when using a piston gun. But despite shooting it full-auto; I have not had any issues.

Thanks for sharing your experience in a very professional and objective manner. It makes it easier to understand what happened and why.
- 10.5" M6A1
- PSD/UCIW
- 10.5" M6A2 (2)
- 14.7" M6IC
- 14.7" M6SL/IC Hybrid
- 16" ODG REPR
CarlosDJackal
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby chainring » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:15 pm

From what I've heard, AAC cans have a smaller end hole, which makes them somewhat quieter - but results in higher back-pressures than a lot of other suppressors. Mine is the SPR-M4, which is a reflex mount and creates less back-pressure than end-mount, lower internal volume suppressors. Good thing, too, since I'm late to the party on the heavier buffer thing. I still get gas-face, though.
--Frank Outlaw
chainring
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby A.J. » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:46 pm

My Post and info to Bryan about AAC is not something that is "published or known fact", or for all M4 2000 cans with M6A2s across the board. I just knew exactly what was going on, because I had the same exact thing happen to me. Worked out nice that way. My conclusion was based upon personal experience. I had had a few other people run into the same thing in the past. In the end, all I can say is, Bryan has one of the best set ups for rifle and can combo. Glad we could get this fixed up for ya. :)
A.J.

Postby FA sear » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:09 pm

I run my A2 with an AAC 5.56 mini. Never had an issue. I might upgrade to a heavier buffer anyway just as a preventative measure.
FA sear
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby A.J. » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Case in point. :)
A.J.

Postby bryanjusmc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks again to everyone for the input and discussion, and most of all to AJ. I received my package this morning before I left for work and I put all the new goodies in. Looking forward to getting back to the range and running the crap outta this thing 8) Sucky part is I'm on duty until next Thursday so I have to wait until after that to do so :uh:

CarlosDJackal wrote: and I get a face full of gas

chainring wrote:I still get gas-face, though.

I knew I would not get as much gas in the face with the piston system running unsuppressed but I wasnt sure how it would be suppressed. Now that I've done so, and with the PRI gasbuster I'm not looking back! I was iffy about dropping the coin on the PRI but I figured I was going to get a sturdier charging handle like the BCM gunfighter and it was not a terrible difference in price thanks to my Brownells military account. I'm really pleased with the PRI thus far, its feels really solid and I would recommend a look at it as a solid charging handle with a nice latch even if you werent using it with a suppressor. Again, I havent been able to really put it to rough work yet but having used the BCM CH before I would say at this point it seems very comparible option with the added bonus of deflecting gas away from your face. I can't (yet) attest to the functionality of it in full auto but I suspect it would still do quite well. It does a wonderful job at deflecting the gas away from my face, which I like alot because my eyes have been finicky about this ever since I had LASIK. That being said, I know your a ways away chainring, but if either yourself or CarlosDJackal find yourself my way your more than welcome to try mine out.
bryanjusmc
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby theWOLFF » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:16 pm

The PRI and BCM CH's are beefy, but in different ways. The PRI is reinforced in several areas, such as the front portion, whereas the major benefit on the BCM is that it has a "backstop" to take the load off the roll pin(s) holding the latch in place. The PRI does not, so (as demonstrated by Pat Rogers) the PRI is still equally prone to roll pin failure as any other non-BCM CH. Also, the PRI is not compatible with 22lr drop in kits.
theWOLFF
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby bryanjusmc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:20 pm

theWOLFF wrote:The PRI and BCM CH's are beefy, but in different ways. The PRI is reinforced in several areas, such as the front portion, whereas the major benefit on the BCM is that it has a "backstop" to take the load off the roll pin(s) holding the latch in place. The PRI does not, so (as demonstrated by Pat Rogers) the PRI is still equally prone to roll pin failure as any other non-BCM CH. Also, the PRI is not compatible with 22lr drop in kits.

I knew I was forgetting to add something :thumbsup:
bryanjusmc
Rank 1 Newbie ★

PreviousNext

Return to LWRC Products