Barrel Replacement or different rail

The M6 Series of Rifles and Carbines.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Barrel Replacement or different rail

Postby dct130 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi All,

First time poster to the forum here.

I have an older M6A3 with the quad rail and fixed pinned front sight but the gun is just too heavy. I am looking for some ideas as to whether I can change the barrel and gas system out to fit the DD 18 inch barrel that I already have and make it a DMR, or if I SBR my lower when switching out the barrel I could use a different lighter rail?

I appreciate any input from anyone that has done some of these changes before.

Dan
dct130
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Re: Barrel Replacement or different rail

Postby tomahawk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:46 am

Dan, I was in your position once with my M6A3. Was my first AR type, loved it, it was a real shooter. But nose heavy. Priced sending it in to LWRC to re-barrel with the spiral version, but it would also need a new gas block. Plus, the quad rail would still be there. Finally went with the ICA5 when LWRC offered the free T-1 deal. Couldn't resist. Bottom line, all problems solved. Nice and light, and the balance is superb. Best AR gun on planet earth. Of course, it's my opinion. But backed by a large host of ops on this forum. If you can afford it, you will never regret spending the $ on the A5.
"Justice is the one thing you should always find, you gotta saddle up your boys, you gotta draw a hard line." (T. Keith)
tomahawk
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Re: Barrel Replacement or different rail

Postby LoganBetterton » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:58 am

dct130 wrote:Hi All,

First time poster to the forum here.

I have an older M6A3 with the quad rail and fixed pinned front sight but the gun is just too heavy. I am looking for some ideas as to whether I can change the barrel and gas system out to fit the DD 18 inch barrel that I already have and make it a DMR, or if I SBR my lower when switching out the barrel I could use a different lighter rail?

I appreciate any input from anyone that has done some of these changes before.

Dan

Keep in mind that these are discontinued and have been for quite some time.

As for cutting weight, the fixed sight, non-fluted barrel, and quad rail definitely add up. We do not have a replacement for a fluted 18" barrel. Your best option IMO is to go with an IC-A5 upper, however you will have to go with an 18" version at the longest. The 18" A3 will be a nice item to keep or a fast sell if you choose to sell it (they are a bit harder to find now).

Before doing this, I would also contact Rodney in our repair dept. He might know of a few options to lighten things up. I assume we could possibly convert it to a modular rail and remove the front sight.
-LWRC Logan
Email me here: LBetterton@LWRCI.com

LoganBetterton

Return to LWRC Products