New repr coming !

Forum for the 7.62 R.E.P.R. series.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

New repr coming !

Postby muttmutt » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:00 pm

Hey all.
I have ordered a new repr [ reppr7ckf20 ] and waiting for arrival.
Ordered now before change of the guard in DC.
My second LWRC rifle, but first repr. So I am trying to get knowledgeable in accessories such as optics, bi-pod, BAD, rail furniture etc, suppressor..
Any thoughts / advice appreciated.
Any thoughts on Nikon M-308 scope? Mount? Looking to get co-witness set up.
muttmutt
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Re: New repr coming !

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Do-witness through a powered optic?
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby muttmutt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:34 pm

Thanks for reply Elvis.
Well, I guess that is why I am here.
So, not feasible to back magnification off and go to skirmish sites if needed?
New to the long range shoot world, but I'd rather ask stupid questions than make stupid purchases.
Considered Nikon M-308 as an easy entry to scopes as opposed to Nightforce or Vortex for funding reasons. Still trying to do homework before repr arrives.
Last edited by muttmutt on Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muttmutt
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby muttmutt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:47 pm

While I am at it, trying also to figure out scope mounts, what works best with repr ?
Do I want mount with 20MOA incline, and why or why not?
Mil or MOA ? Leaning to MOA because used to feet /yards.
I don't have a lot to spend at moment so I don't expect the best, but sure don't want to get disappointed.
muttmutt
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:03 am

You won't be able to co-witness through an optic that isn't 1x. You can use irons that are offset so that you just have to rotate the rifle slightly to use them instead of the optic. Or you can rely on a QR mount that allows you to remove the scope quickly and then flip up the irons.

As far as mounts, there are a lot of good options: Larue, Bobro, ADM, Spuhr...but some of those can get pricey. I mostly use Larue mounts. Built in MOA is good if you will be shooting at extreme ranges and/or your optic has a narrow adjustment range, but usually the wheels start to come off the bus, so to speak, of 308 before you get to those distances. The only disadvantage of a mount with built in inclination is that if your scope has a large bell, it will put the scope closer to the rail and it may create an interference.
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby muttmutt » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Thanks again Elvis Jr...
I appreciate the info. I did do some reading today on 20 MOA inclination mounts.
To be honest, long range for me at this point is likely to be 500 /600 yds. at most.
So maybe I will just go with normal mount.
I like your suggestion offset iron sights.

Question. Don't know your elevation there in Colorado, but do you have to factor in elevation [thinner air] in long shot? I am a pilot and I know how much elevation affects lift on a plane, also we figure in air temperature [we call density altitude]. Combination of high altitude airport on a hot day is a big deal.
Or does the speed of bullet, time of flight make this less meaningful, and your main concern is cross wind ?
How do you compensate for moderate or heavy rain?
What about shooting steep uphill or downhill?
Sorry if badgering you with questions, much of this is new to me and very interesting.
I've hunted for many years here in Pa, but in the woods, with 30.06 and lucky if I can see 75yds through trees.
muttmutt
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:51 pm

Altitude definitely matters when shooting those ranges, as does humidity and temperature. Any ballistic calculator will have inputs for those variables. Honestly...not sure about heavy rain. If the rain is heavy enough, I'm guessing visibility will be too poor to allow shots of appreciable distance. Personally, I have the luxury of staying inside.
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Return to R.E.P.R. (Rapid Engagement Precision Rifle)