REPR upper issue

Forum for the 7.62 R.E.P.R. series.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Re: REPR upper issue

Postby Campy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:46 pm

I would call and ask for someone else and talk to them. Yes wear is normal, but based on what I can see in the pics it is not acceptable. Others may disagree and have the motto if it runs fine don't worry about it.
LWRC M6-IC
HK P30 9mm
HK45 Full size
Colt Defender 45
Campy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby van halen » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:28 pm

To be honest with you, I don't believe I've ever seen an AR pattern rifle without any wear pattern at the rear edge of the relief area cut out for the cam pin. Some are worse than others obviously.

I challenge you all to lock bolts back on every AR you own and look.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby Smokum59 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:09 pm

van halen wrote:To be honest with you, I don't believe I've ever seen an AR pattern rifle without any wear pattern at the rear edge of the relief area cut out for the cam pin. Some are worse than others obviously.

Ok.. My LMT 308 I don't see it... yet. Just got it and only 40rds through it.

like to hear from more on this challenge..
Rob W
Northern Colorado
Smokum59
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby jimbo45 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:37 am

just checked my repr and I have wear in that same spot though not as much.
jimbo45
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby jimbo45 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:43 am

and just checked my m6a2 spr that has a couple thousand rounds through and no wear.
jimbo45
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby rcrandall » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:56 am

Some of my LWRC's have it, some don't. I've seen some Colt M4's with it, some not. If it bugs the OP, send it back to the Factory and have them look at it.
Write drunk; edit sober - Ernest Hemingway
rcrandall

Postby Smokum59 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:51 pm

I contacted some folks from DD and LMT and they all say some wear in that location can be expected. My REPR still functions flawlessly and is my favorite shooter. I'll keep an eye on my LMT and when I start putting more rounds through it i'll compare the two. If the REPR gets worse I will send it in and have LWRC look at it more closely.
Thanks to all for your input, I do appreciate everyone's comments.
~Rob
Rob W
Northern Colorado
Smokum59
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby Norm » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:37 pm

I checked all mine and I don't have this mark but installed POF Cam pins in all my LWRC rifles to include my REPR.
Norm
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby Campy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:26 pm

I checked all of mine and no marks.
LWRC M6-IC
HK P30 9mm
HK45 Full size
Colt Defender 45
Campy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby Mossyrocks » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:24 am

Smokum59 wrote:I contacted some folks from DD and LMT and they all say some wear in that location can be expected. My REPR still functions flawlessly and is my favorite shooter. I'll keep an eye on my LMT and when I start putting more rounds through it i'll compare the two. If the REPR gets worse I will send it in and have LWRC look at it more closely.
Thanks to all for your input, I do appreciate everyone's comments.
~Rob

It is hard to get a feel for how bad it is in the pics, sometimes wear through a coating like Cerakote makes it appear to be deeper than it is. I say run it some more and if it becomes a problem contact them again. They'll always make it right, very good customer service, they even tuned my Repr to run my can better.
Mossyrocks
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby STONEYARDER » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:44 am

Campy wrote:
STONEYARDER wrote:I think its wear from the little nubs on the CH.

Stoney, take a close up look at the second picture. That looks a small piece of metal is missing, not just costing they had worn off. I could be wrong.

Brain fart brother I meant cam pin. :oops:
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby Campy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:45 am

STONEYARDER wrote:
Campy wrote:
STONEYARDER wrote:I think its wear from the little nubs on the CH.

Stoney, take a close up look at the second picture. That looks a small piece of metal is missing, not just costing they had worn off. I could be wrong.

Brain fart brother I meant cam pin. :oops:

Lol, we all have them. Heck I just reread what I had typed before and see two words that don't even belong. I went back and corrected it.....
LWRC M6-IC
HK P30 9mm
HK45 Full size
Colt Defender 45
Campy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby saf3sh00t3r » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:44 pm

Guys, I've run into the same issue and have been told by Rodney @ LWRCI it is normal and should stop doing it after some time. Well it hasn't stopped doing it and its actual chunks of aluminum. The cam pin corner, though slightly rounded, seems banged up...since it is steel and the upper is a softer aluminum, there will not be a great deal of damage on the cam pin, yet the upper will get most of it.

I went as far as shaving off aluminum with a dremmel to avoid metal shavings on internal parts. It still did it, though less.

Ive gone to the lengths of using, like another user here, the POF Roller Cam pin. It has addressed the issue so far, but it still doesn't seem to make sense.

Will be contacting Rodney back in customer service about this issue. Will report back when they respond, they're very good about that.
saf3sh00t3r
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby van halen » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:59 pm

Smokum59 wrote:
van halen wrote:To be honest with you, I don't believe I've ever seen an AR pattern rifle without any wear pattern at the rear edge of the relief area cut out for the cam pin. Some are worse than others obviously.

Ok.. My LMT 308 I don't see it... yet. Just got it and only 40rds through it.

like to hear from more on this challenge..

I'll eat half my words. I just looked at my son's S&W, and all four of mine, only two are L'dub's.

Some do, some don't. Very minimal, especially compared to your pics.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby charliebrn » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:05 am

Over the 30 or so years of owning 20 or so AR, I can tell you that it's "normal" in piston ARs more so than th DI Guns, but I've seen it there too. It's due to the bolt not fully in theextended position in the carrier as the carrier moves back. In DI rifles the gas pressure forces it extended, pushing the bolt out as the carrier then starts rearward travel. In piston guns there is a higher prevalence of it since there isn't gas pressure to keep extending it after the lugs are disengaged.

That all said, the rifle will eventually reach a point where the wear will stop. My suggestion is to shoot it and clean it and enjoy your fine running weapon. If it really bugs you, I've seen someone selling a spring that goes behind the bolt in the carrier that helps cut back on this, filling the role of the gas pressure. One word of caution: some might suggest removing the gas rings to make the bolt move easier in the carrier, but that can have a significant impact on accuracy, since they also help in bolt alignment.
charliebrn
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Previous

Return to R.E.P.R. (Rapid Engagement Precision Rifle)