Having some issues with my REPR

Forum for the 7.62 R.E.P.R. series.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Having some issues with my REPR

Postby mgrande » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Alright guys looks like I need some insight from y'all. I'll start with ammo. In the past the only ammo I've put through my 16" REPR was the Wal-Mart ZQI stuff and a box of Winchester 7.62 surplus. No issues were noted with roughly 100 rounds of it. A while back I purchased a bunch of 150gr and 175gr match ammo from fredom munitions. Both were remanufactured but all rounds looked great and I didn't see any bad reviews on it. While zeroing my optic I did have a few malfunctions but I noted it to my hand depressing the release lever for the B5 stock and letting it collapse with the recoil of the rifle. This past weekend I decided to shoot the REPR at a 3 gun match and had a handful of malfunctions. On several occasions it felt as if the buffer was moving significantly slower than normal, almost like a slow-mo speed. It seemed to be under gassed so on my final stage I flipped the gas block to adverse and it performed flawlessly. So I guess my issue is whether the ammo for some reason is a little light on powder or if the gas system is out of spec.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson
mgrande
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Re: Having some issues with my REPR

Postby rcrandall » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:24 am

Shoot some more of the ZQI stuff and see what it does. Try some Federal 168 grain match too. If it works normally with them then it is the currrent ammo you are using. The REPR is gassed for hot military ammo, I noticed that with mine.
Write drunk; edit sober - Ernest Hemingway
rcrandall

Postby jimbo45 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:16 am

I've shot some the freedom munitions ammo in pistol calibers and it seemed to work fine but I think it was a little sedate. Hopefully the ammo is your issue.
jimbo45
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:06 pm

It's the ammo. I'll bet you a dollar. 7.62 is spendy and a big pill to swallow but, as with most things, you get what you pay for.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby mgrande » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:08 am

Well I'm glad everyone seems to agree on the ammo. When I get a chance to pick up some factory ammo I will. I like using the cheaper stuff for 3 gun because distances are so close. I couldn't imagine shooting a whole match with quality/expensive ammo.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson
mgrande
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby Merlin32 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:41 pm

What's the ejection pattern look like ? This is my gf shooting a repr yesterday and it's shucking the shells pretty good on normal setting. These are ppu 168's http://youtu.be/-S63Y_WOvzs
Merlin32
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby rds95991 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:53 pm

I've found out some interesting things about ammo.

Pressure is usually measured by the maximum pressure of the cartridge, however one of the properties is also the pressure curve. If the pressure curve builds too quickly, by the time the gas gets to the port to be siphoned to cycle the action, the pressue may have dropped too much to successfully cycle the action.

On some DI guns, the gas ports are too small for ammo where the pressure peaks too quickly.
M6A3, REPR
rds95991
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby mgrande » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:17 pm

Merlin32 wrote:What's the ejection pattern look like ? This is my gf shooting a repr yesterday and it's shucking the shells pretty good on normal setting. These are ppu 168's http://youtu.be/-S63Y_WOvzs

I don't recall, I'll have to pay attention next time I take it out. I'll post back afterwards. It may be a while though.
mgrande
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby linuxman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:19 am

bastardsonofelvis wrote:It's the ammo. I'll bet you a dollar. 7.62 is spendy and a big pill to swallow but, as with most things, you get what you pay for.

+ 1
linuxman
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby Norm » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:14 pm

Me too!

I didn't want to start a new topic so thought I would dump this here:

I was using a new P-Mag but same Gen as all of mine, not sure why just grabbed a new one and only one (mistake maybe). The first round did not even try to eject. I've never taken my gas knob off of N but double checked it and it was on N. After clearing that round and charging it I had a FTF, dumped the mag and ejected the round and noticed deep scarring on the round itself not the jacket. I've never noticed this before but have never had these issues where I've had to eject a round. This happened several times. I'll mention I have had FTF issues but only when I loaded the mags to full capacity. I typically only load 5 to 6 rounds at a time now. I was firing Federal 168 gr FGM and 178 gr A-Max. I hate to admit this but I don't recall cleaning it after my last range trip and that was at least 6-9 months ago. Maybe that's my problem but doubt it. I hate that I didn't take pics... Any input would be greatly appreciated. Norm
Norm
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:27 am

Lube? Reprs like lube. Re the marks on the bullet jacket, that happened to mine, too, until I took a polisher to the feed ramp. Stick your finger in there and feel how sharp of a point it is. No bueno. I think that is part of why some people think REPRs aren't as accurate as some other semi auto 308s out there. The scoring on the bullet jacket absolutely could effect the way it flies.

As far as your failures, lube it up and I bet they go away.
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby Norm » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks,

Nah I didn't lube it. Since I posted this last night I've watched a few videos of guys polishing the ramps. Do you suggest wet sand or dremel tool? May try wet sanding first and see what happens. Oh I agree the scarring most certainly would affect accuracy.
Norm
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:14 pm

I actually used tools that are unlikely to be available to most people: a slow speed dental handpiece and amalgam polishers.
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Return to R.E.P.R. (Rapid Engagement Precision Rifle)