Choices, Choices

Forum for the 7.62 R.E.P.R. series.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Choices, Choices

Postby REPRSniper » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:27 pm

Howdy all. Ive been mulling this over for a while and cant seem to hit a happy medium. I have an 18" REPR (Nightforce scope, UBR stock) and always wanted a shorter barreled upper for it. (12.7") but as we all know that upper was discontinued. Sad face.
Anyway back to my issue: i have a couple of options that ive thought about but wanted some opinions.

Option 1- swap out optics for certain shooting styles and events. I have the nightforce as i like to shoot 500 + yards and is a perfect optic for that but when im hunting in the woods this setup is less than awesome hence the reason for optic and setup change. (Kinda what i wanted the other upper for)

Option 2- get a new upper. Im kinda limited now with a 16" upper only, and i cant seem to bring myself to spend the money on a 2" difference. I was wondering what other options i would have in this department if any.

Any insight would be awesome.

Thanks all.
14.7" REPR
CSASS in the making. :)
REPRSniper
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Re: Choices, Choices

Postby LoganBetterton » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:34 am

Based on your signature, I assume you have an 18" REPR (which is somewhat rare and desired at this point as it is also discontinued). Have you considered just buying the 14" (fluted) Rifle Gear REPR Scythe? If you want a shorter REPR I would go with this. Sure the 12.7" would be nice but they are somewhat rare and you'll have a tax stamp. If you go with the 14" you are getting as short as possible WITHOUT a tax stamp and its a bigger jump than going from 18" to 16".
-LWRCi Logan
Email me here: LBetterton@LWRCI.com

LoganBetterton

Postby REPRSniper » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:20 pm

Thank you for getting back to me. When i was in the beginning stages of the purchase of a REPR, i figured the 18" was a good all around rifle. And i was correct. The tightest group i have made with it was a 5 shot 5/8" group at 100 yards using 168 grain handloads. It is very accurate and wouldnt trade it for anything, as i would assume the people who own a 12.7" would feel the same way.

I figured the scythe was a limited run rifle and was also not being made anymore. I would be very happy with a 14" even though i already own a tax stamp for my repr. (Thats the truly sad part) got that all finished and then found out they discontinued it. But alas, here i am. If those scythes are still available i am interested for sure.

Thanks!
14.7" REPR
REPRSniper
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby LoganBetterton » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:47 pm

REPRSniper wrote:Thank you for getting back to me. When i was in the beginning stages of the purchase of a REPR, i figured the 18" was a good all around rifle. And i was correct. The tightest group i have made with it was a 5 shot 5/8" group at 100 yards using 168 grain handloads. It is very accurate and wouldnt trade it for anything, as i would assume the people who own a 12.7" would feel the same way.

I figured the scythe was a limited run rifle and was also not being made anymore. I would be very happy with a 14" even though i already own a tax stamp for my repr. (Thats the truly sad part) got that all finished and then found out they discontinued it. But alas, here i am. If those scythes are still available i am interested for sure.

Thanks!

Contact Rifle Gear. Ask for John, I think they have some left.
-LWRCi Logan
Email me here: LBetterton@LWRCI.com

LoganBetterton

Postby The Big Kahuna » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:23 pm

Sniper - I know where a NIB 12.7" REPR might still exist. Only downside is that it may be a complete rifle not just an upper. If you want me to determine if it is still available, let me know and I will check for you. I personally have the 12.7" REPR and I love it.
TBK
The Big Kahuna
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:09 pm

The 12.7" REPR is a baaad mutha. If you can get your hands on one, do so.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby REPRSniper » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:22 pm

The Big Kahuna wrote:Sniper - I know where a NIB 12.7" REPR might still exist. Only downside is that it may be a complete rifle not just an upper. If you want me to determine if it is still available, let me know and I will check for you. I personally have the 12.7" REPR and I love it.
TBK

That would be great! My only problem would be i dont really need the whole rifle. I want that upper. I did look at the scythes as well, but again thats a whole rifle and for me, getting another rifle isnt practical. I want to stuff the upper in a backpack and a way i go. If he is willing to sell the upper i would be all over it like a cheap suit! Let me know what you find out.

Thanks!
14.7" REPR
REPRSniper
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby REPRSniper » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:07 am

Another idea that i could float: if he is not willing to break up the rifle would he be interested in sending the upper to me and the lower to a friend? I live in wisconsin and my friend lives in minnesota. Thats if he still has it.

Thanks!
14.7" REPR
REPRSniper
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby The Big Kahuna » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Sniper - SB REPR is available. I sent you a private message with the details. Good luck.

TBK
The Big Kahuna
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby REPRSniper » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Update: A happy medium has been found! Thanks to modern outfitters i have contracted them to build me a 14.7" upper with everything i need. I want to thank all that put in there 2 cents and for those helping find a way around that issue. There will be pictures to follow! I am thrilled to be getting this rifle upper!

Again thank you all for the help and words of wisdom.
14.7" REPR
REPRSniper
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby troublemaker » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:25 pm

Since reprsniper has passed on the sbr, @bigkahuna where's the nib repr sbr hiding? If it's over $3k, then nevermind.
I am going to buy a sig716 pistol (and then sbr it if it's a shooter) this week but I guess I can wait to see where this goes. In fact, for tr price I just might buy two. After all, I have two hands :)
No. No, man. Sh!t, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

Happiness is a hot silencer.
troublemaker
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:05 pm

I'd be shocked if it was below 3K.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby The Big Kahuna » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:04 pm

TroubleMaker - I'd be glad to sent you a PM with the information. The owner is an FFL….they have it out on their floor for sale. However, I don't want to waste their time so please clarify your comment about the SBR being over $3K. Are you meaning the whole rifle, or just the upper? I don't get involved in prices, etc., but I will tell you that if you are referring to the whole rifle, I'm sure the FFL won't be interested as Elvis thought. This is a brand new 12.7" REPR that was produced as a very limited special run about 6 months ago. I believe only about a half a dozen were produced. LWRC stopped producing this model quite a while back so quite honestly, it is very unique and hard to find. Plus, it is not an "old" gun having been produced 3-4 years ago and just sitting in some safe since then. So, I may be off base but one isn't going to be able to purchase such a limited availability REPR (entire rifle) for such a price.
I also don't believe the FFL is interested in selling just the upper. They are willing to break the two apart but both have to be sold as part of any deal.
If you are still interested, please let me know and I will be glad to forward you the contact info.
Thanks.
TBK
The Big Kahuna
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby REPRSniper » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:01 pm

I agree with the others on this. We never got to the pricing part as i just wanted the upper and my friend was not able to go to a class III to get the lower so it wasnt worth the effort but i would guess he would want something similar in price to the scythe repr. As said above the 12.7" is very rare and those that have them are going to hang on to them. I was able to get a deal on that upper from MO so i went with that.
14.7" REPR
REPRSniper
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby The Big Kahuna » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 pm

Sniper - I'm sure you will love the Scythe REPR! From the picture of it at "Riflegear" it looks like its rail is the same length as the shortened rail on the 12.7" REPRs. So between that and the slightly shorter barrel you should see some weight savings. As I mentioned in my PM to you, I love the SBR REPR…..its like holding a portable, highly maneuverable cannon! My 16" REPR obviously has its place, but the 12.7" has become my favorite. Once you get it and shoot it, let us know what you think!
TBK
The Big Kahuna
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Next

Return to R.E.P.R. (Rapid Engagement Precision Rifle)