Maintenance / service schedules of rifles

Frequently Asked Questions. Use this forum to ask and get answers to your common questions regarding both LWRCI products, or anything firearms related.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Maintenance / service schedules of rifles

Postby hjensen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi, I've been looking through the forum for a recommended life spam of parts for the m6 series of rifles. As in after how many rounds should I replace the BCG, or springs, or a new upper because the barrel is toast. Stuff like that. Thanks for all the help.
:flag: :army:
hjensen
Rank 2 Private ★★

Re: Maintenance / service schedules of rifles

Postby JimIslander » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:34 pm

hjensen wrote:Hi, I've been looking through the forum for a recommended life spam of parts for the m6 series of rifles. As in after how many rounds should I replace the BCG, or springs, or a new upper because the barrel is toast. Stuff like that. Thanks for all the help.

Life Spam. That's funny.

Here are a few from a quick search:

Barrel: 20k rounds (LWRC target number)
Bolt Springs: 10k rounds (per Darren)
Piston Springs, Spring Cup: 3-5k rounds (consensus)

Not much else to replace, except maybe an extractor if it breaks.
* 6-years of loyal service *

ISLANDER'S LAW: Registration is Preparation for Confiscation.
JimIslander
Rank 7 Colonel ★★★★★★★

Postby rcrandall » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Ha! Like the Spam. I would add action (buffer) springs, I like to change them out about every 5000 rounds just be safe. I'm sure they last longer but they're cheap and its easy insurance.
Write drunk; edit sober - Ernest Hemingway
rcrandall

Postby theWOLFF » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:03 pm

+1. It's easy to get carried away in "upgrade" fever when perusing websites and such. However, a quick trip to the LWRC webstore is a sobering reminder of how affordable the correct replacement parts actually are. Buy the right spring, change it every x000 rounds, and repeat as necessarry. It's cheaper, easier, and more reliable than buying the $90 uber-spring and loving it too much to change as required.
theWOLFF
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby hjensen » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:05 am

Thanks gents.
The only thing that bugs me is it seems that the barrel life should be more than 20k rounds. If that is the case then our infantry units in the army should be changing weapons every two years at the most. If the chrome barrels are < NiCor Barrels. Seriously 20k and a new upper? It bugs me because I would assume since it's 4x harder than chrome and has a higher lubricity it would last 4x as long as an chrome barrel. Am I nuts to think 20k rounds is a small cout for barrel change?
hjensen
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby rcrandall » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:40 am

Really? What do you think the barrel life on an M4 is? Try around 10K with heavy firing schedule. And when the barrel is shot out you don't need a new upper, just a rebarrel.
Write drunk; edit sober - Ernest Hemingway
rcrandall

Postby JoeBoy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:44 am

rcrandall wrote:Really? What do you think the barrel life on an M4 is? Try around 10K with heavy firing schedule. And when the barrel is shot out you don't need a new upper, just a rebarrel.

and some M4s see even less life expectancy out of their barrels, many as low as ~6800. So figure NiCorr= roughly 4 times the service life expectancy and without the degradtion in accuracy normally associated with chrome bores.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. -Hanlon's Razor

I do not regularly check private messages here, please e-mail me if you expect a response.
JoeBoy
Super Awesome

Postby Peanut » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:08 pm

I have seen a Colt 6933 barrel start kicking fliers at just over 5K. This was do to heavy full auto use.

I don't know how long a Nicorr barrel would last under this type of shooting, but shooting semi should get you past 20K.
In the sport of combat, there is no second place.

Where in the hell is Easy Street!!!
Peanut

Postby Announcement » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:49 pm

When I get back we will post the exploded diagram and parts replacement schedule for download somewhere on the site.
LWRCI Administrator
Announcement
Sanctity protector of the board

Postby hjensen » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:12 pm

Thanks Darren that would be awesome.

I guess I am just over estimating what these weapons can do. So if the rifle is usedunder suppressing conditions it's 20k rounds under target shooting conditions then how many rounds or 20k still?
hjensen
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby JoeBoy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:56 am

Send me 100k rounds. I'll tell you how far we get.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. -Hanlon's Razor

I do not regularly check private messages here, please e-mail me if you expect a response.
JoeBoy
Super Awesome

Postby G19M6A3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:03 pm

darren wrote:When I get back we will post the exploded diagram and parts replacement schedule for download somewhere on the site.

Awesome, are you back? Also what about putting together a kit of replacements part?
G19M6A3
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby Varangian » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:26 pm

darren wrote:When I get back we will post the exploded diagram and parts replacement schedule for download somewhere on the site.

Are you back yet? :mrgreen:
Varangian
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby Spook » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Searched and found this thread.

Is the replacement schedule out there somewhere. I couldn't find it.

Despite the schedule, would 5k rounds be a good rule of thumb to replace springs? Also, re: barrel wear (and I am nowhere near 20k rounds), will accuracy decline gradually as you approach that, or does it just go all to pot all of a sudden.

Forgot to add: is the expected barrel life of a REPR also roughly 20k, or will the 7.62 wear it out sooner than an M6 barrel?

Then I thought: 20k rounds of 7.62 = how much in U.S. dollars? That there would be a lot of SPAM musubi! :!:
Spook
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby theWOLFF » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:24 pm

I don't think a nice cut and paste schedule ever got thrown out here.
Yes, 5k is a pretty good interval to swap springs. At super cheap ammo prices, that is $1500 of ammo... and $15 dollars of springs (not including trigger pack).
theWOLFF
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Next

Return to FAQ