Question about the pistol grip bolt and the ambi safety.

Frequently Asked Questions. Use this forum to ask and get answers to your common questions regarding both LWRCI products, or anything firearms related.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Question about the pistol grip bolt and the ambi safety.

Postby Billybob242 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:51 pm

I am wanting to put a drop in trigger unit in my IC DI. I need to remove the pistol grip and then the safety to do so. What size hex/allen socket do i need to remove the bolt holding the grip. After that exactly how do you go about removing the ambi safety? I know you punch out the small roll pin holding the right safety level in place but it looks like there is some sort of cap underneath that. Any help is much appreciated.
Billybob242
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Re: Question about the pistol grip bolt and the ambi safety.

Postby van halen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 pm

It's a 3/16's drive if it's Allen, which it probably is. After you push the roll pin out of the safety lever it comes out like any of the rest.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby STONEYARDER » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Which trigger are you going with?
Take the lower off the upper. Lock the hammer back and put it on safe. Poke out the roll pin on the right side(from the top going down) and pull off the selector. Flip it to fire and hold down the hammer with your thumb, squeeze the trigger and slowly release the hammer foreward. Take off the grip slowly so the spring doesnt go flying accross the room. Take out the spring and detent. Now pull the selector out the left side. From left to right tap out the hammer pin. You have to go through the ambi mag release. Left to right, tap out trigger pin.
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby Billybob242 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 pm

It is a hex/allen bolt. I am going with a POF drop in combat unit. I actually already have the trigger and hammer removed without having to mess with the safety but unfortunately the new trigger unit would not slide past the safety. Sounds like it shouldn't be too much of a problem, just gotta get a hold of the correct sized nut driver. I read in an older post from this site that it was a 5/32 size i would need. Hopefully it is actually a 3/16.
Billybob242
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby van halen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Just looked at mine, it's 3/16. Over the years I've seen straight head screws, button head allen, allen cap screw, 5/16 hex head, maybe Torx, can't remember.

I've seen some lowers that were tapped 1/4 20, some were 1/4 28. Which one is the standard? Can't remember,,,,,,,
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby Billybob242 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:52 pm

3/8
Last edited by Billybob242 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billybob242
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby STONEYARDER » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Just checked mine, its a 3/8" socket head bolt. Use a 1/4" drive. Also put some loctite on it when you reinstall the bolt. You need a thin wall socket. For $30 you can get a decent 1/4" drive socket set. Eddie is right, I have seen them be Torx, allen head, flat head, etc.etc. If you are going to be gunsmithing its best to set up a tool box for it. You will save alot of money in the long run. But know your limitations as well.
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby Billybob242 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Yeah, tried a different 3/8 socket shortly after and got it off no problem. No problem with the safety or anything else except for the ambi mag release, which got in the way of installing the KNS anti walk pin fastener bars. Ended up putting a nice scuff on the anodize of my lower while putting the mag release back in. What i get for getting annoyed and rushing at the end. Nothing a touch up pin won't fix though.
Billybob242
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby van halen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Just adds character.
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Return to FAQ