So I'm Thinking of Getting My FFL...

Frequently Asked Questions. Use this forum to ask and get answers to your common questions regarding both LWRCI products, or anything firearms related.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

So I'm Thinking of Getting My FFL...

Postby civiliansheepdog » Sun May 18, 2014 3:27 pm

and I wondered what you guys' thoughts are. I have purchased a FFL "Kit" from ffl123.com and the info so far is really great. However, I have run across a few threads on arf.com and some of the feedback is disheartening. Stuff like the FedEx guy not giving enough time to answer before speeding off with a firearm, not enough profit to make it worth the headache from the ATF, and if you do make dough, you end up spending it all on more toys (sounds like something I would very much do).
I am looking to do primarily an e-commerce business from home under an LLC, as I am a stay at home dad right now and I just want some extra cash flow. But, I am starting to wonder if its truly worth the hassle. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
"Our cause is just; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than to live slaves." - Thomas Jefferson
"Training should be like a bloodless battle, so that battle is like bloody training." - TigerSwan
civiliansheepdog
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Re: So I'm Thinking of Getting My FFL...

Postby Adian » Sun May 18, 2014 5:23 pm

I would be interested in hearing about it as well. Wife and I had discussed doing it too.
Adian
Rank 7 Colonel ★★★★★★★

Postby 66427vette » Sun May 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Do it !
Bollinger Arms
314-713-2753
FFL/SOT
bjbfirearms.com
Jon@bjbfirearms.com
Bollingerarms@gmail.com
66427vette
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby van halen » Sun May 18, 2014 9:53 pm

I considered adding this as a side to my other business. Problem is, my primary business might make it look shady.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby shot » Mon May 19, 2014 10:01 am

van halen wrote:I considered adding this as a side to my other business. Problem is, my primary business might make it look shady.

It's a tuff thing to sell narcotics and the services of prostitutes along with guns, lol.
"Getting shot sucks balls." - Mike L. June 2013. (God speed on the recovery)

Evil Preaches Tolerance Until It Is Dominant, Then Seeks to Silence Good
shot
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby civiliansheepdog » Mon May 19, 2014 12:55 pm

^ Yeah, the Bureau of All Things Fun might have a bit of a problem with that setup! HAHA!
"Our cause is just; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than to live slaves." - Thomas Jefferson
"Training should be like a bloodless battle, so that battle is like bloody training." - TigerSwan
civiliansheepdog
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby van halen » Mon May 19, 2014 10:14 pm

shot wrote:
van halen wrote:I considered adding this as a side to my other business. Problem is, my primary business might make it look shady.

It's a tuff thing to sell narcotics and the services of prostitutes along with guns, lol.

I'm scared of being on the news.....

Breaking news, motorcycle shop found full of guns and, wait for it, motorcycles.
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Tue May 20, 2014 10:44 am

Scared? Sheeyat, man, that's free advertisement. If I saw that on the news I'd be in there the next day.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby tomahawk » Tue May 20, 2014 6:23 pm

^ Thanks Elvis - I laughed out loud at that.
"Justice is the one thing you should always find, you gotta saddle up your boys, you gotta draw a hard line." (T. Keith)
tomahawk
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby van halen » Tue May 20, 2014 6:39 pm

bastardsonofelvis wrote:Scared? Sheeyat, man, that's free advertisement. If I saw that on the news I'd be in there the next day.

:yup:
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby HardEight » Wed May 21, 2014 5:25 pm

I wish you would have asked before you bought that kit.
Those things are a waste of money.

If you can run a business (licensed by your municipality), and you can pass a background check, you can get an FFL. Your biggest problem might come from zoning, and running a business from a residential area.

But it's more of a pain to maintain.
The ATF wants to ensure this isn't so you can ship and buy guns for personal reasons. And if you don't have a separate business location (not home based) and are strictly e-commerce, I hear there are very few distributors who will even talk to you.

Keep your records straight.
Get separate insurance.
Be ready for a slow return.

There is less profit in firearm sales than you would think and almost zero from ammo sales.
But I know plenty of retired guys who do it as a side hobby business just because they love it.

As long as you are realistic and don't expect it to be a get rich quick plan, you should do fine.
HardEight
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby civiliansheepdog » Wed May 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Thanks for your comments, Eight. I have done more homework, and have decided to put it hold for now. Just too much headache for very little return, as far as operating from home. I'm only out $55 and some disappointment, however, I do have an entirely different perspective and respect for all FFL dealers. Its a tough business and it makes me want to buy more locally instead of buying online and only giving my local guys a measly $25 transfer. However, companies like MO and NWT offer so much in customization on L'dubs that there's no way I could pass on them for piston AR's. If I ever do get an FFL, I will more than likely dump money into a building with a indoor range. Thanks again, guys.
civiliansheepdog
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Return to FAQ