Supplied Magpul m2 mags not locking back?

Frequently Asked Questions. Use this forum to ask and get answers to your common questions regarding both LWRCI products, or anything firearms related.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Postby Squid55 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:42 pm

I recently purchased a M6IC SPR 16 inch and the Magpul m2 mag that came with the rifle would not lock back on a empty mag. I contacted Magpul and they sent me a new one. Took the rifle to the range and the new mag would sometimes lock back, other times not. I used a 6 month older m2 from my other AR and it locked back consistently. Have you noticed the newer m2s doing this or do just some mags require a break in period to function properly?
Squid55
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Re: Supplied Magpul m2 mags not locking back?

Postby van halen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:57 pm

Not seen or heard of a problem with Gen2 Pmags. Sure they're not Gen3's?
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby STONEYARDER » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:17 am

What ammo are you using? Also take the upper off the lower and put the empty mag in the lower and check the bolt release purchase on the follower.
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby echo419 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 am

I've had this problem with gen 2 dark earth pmags. The first gen pmags are really the best to get if you can find them. Take the upper off, insert mag, press down on the follower and release. If the bolt catch drops down behind your follower there's your problem. Contact magpul, they will send you new followers to try. I've still got a couple mags don't work right after replacement followers, guess I'll have to get more and keep playing mix and match.
echo419
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby rcrandall » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:10 pm

You could try switching mags to a different brand. If you want to stay polymer then look at the Lancers, same price. I picked up a handful and have been testing them and they seem to work. I would also recommend, for metal, GI mags with magpul followers; you can find them at 44mag.com, BCM, and a number of places. I like pmags, but they are not the only good mag out there so don't narrow your choices.
Write drunk; edit sober - Ernest Hemingway
rcrandall

Postby Squid55 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks. I have heard the gen 3 mags have had problems so I only have gotten the gen 2s. I was using Federal 5.56 NATO 55grain fmj. The mag seemed to get better the more I used it. I will check the followers as suggested. I just ordered 6 more gen 2 today so I hope the rifle likes them. If not, will use them on my Daniel Defense V7.
Squid55
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby van halen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 am

Still, it would be great if they worked in both rifles, as they should. I would not be happy to have to separate a group of mags just for one lower.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby Squid55 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:30 am

It was not the mags after all, but the bolt catch arm was too short. Got some Lancer L5 mags and they did not work at all. Saw on another thread that posted pictures of a too short bolt catch arm and it looked like mine. Contacted Ed at LWRCI and I sent it back on a Tuesday, got it back the next Saturday, 5 days. Great customer service Ed! Bolt catch arm is longer and goes on top of follower like it should and Pmags, ASC and Lancers all lock back as they should. Still have a problem with several Gen 2 Pmags not dropping free but I think that is a dimension issue. Will sand them lightly to see if that fixes the problems.

Thanks LWRCI for the fast turnaround!!
Squid55
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:11 pm

Sanding should fix that problem, but frequently just use will rub off enough plastic to fix it was well.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby bhunted » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:47 pm

On a similar note, all my Gen 2s and 3s work in all my non LWRC, but the Gen 2s would not work in my M6 where the 3s were fine. After forcing wear on the 2s, I had to mildly sand my 2s down to work in the M6... Was a pain, but it worked. Now I just get 3s... Both are now good to go in all my ARs...

Think I'm dizzy and have a headache from my post now. Lmao...
Regards,

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Member - NJ2AS - ANJRPC - GFHR - OPSEC - PGR
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin
bhunted
Rank 2 Private ★★

Return to FAQ