M6A2 Barrel Nut and Piston Op-Rod Centering

Frequently Asked Questions. Use this forum to ask and get answers to your common questions regarding both LWRCI products, or anything firearms related.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

M6A2 Barrel Nut and Piston Op-Rod Centering

Postby agent691 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:36 am

Hello, the barrel nut on my 5.56 10.5" barreled M6A2 is slightly off-center, which means that the Piston Op-Rod lightly contacts the barrel nut "flanges". The rifle functions flawlessly, but I do not know if this is an acceptable condition. Should the barrel nut flange cut out be aligned with the center of the Operation Rod, and make no contact at all? There is no apparent wear, but is this condition bound to get worse and wear/bind the Op-Rod?
Please reply,
Tim.
agent691
Rank 2 Private ★★

M6A2 Barrel Nut touching Op-Rod

Postby agent691 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:39 am

Hello, the barrel nut on my 5.56 10.5" barreled M6A2 is slightly off-center, which means that the Piston Op-Rod lightly contacts the barrel nut "flanges". The rifle functions flawlessly, but I do not know if this is an acceptable condition. Should the barrel nut flange cut out be aligned with the center of the Operation Rod, and make no contact at all? There is no apparent wear, but is this condition bound to get worse and wear/bind the Op-Rod?
Please reply,
Tim.
agent691
Rank 2 Private ★★

Re: M6A2 Barrel Nut touching Op-Rod

Postby STONEYARDER » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:20 am

I would call CS in the morning. How about a pic in the meantime...
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby agent691 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:02 am

Hello Stoneyarder, thanks for getting back.
In the time I posted that question I went to my bench and field stripped the rifle, upper hand guards, and slightly turned the barrel nut to dead center of the let-out. The Op-Rod now travels through the receiver guide completely clear of the barrel nut. The barrel nut was extremely tight, so I wonder if it has been in this condition since I bought the upper, I'll keep an eye on the nut to see if it drifts. LWRC must put some thread locking glue in there, as I heated up the nut it moved, (with much effort), maybe when the barrel gets hot the nut drifts? I cannot believe LWRC would let this occur knowingly, but these rifles are made with extreme precision and can be field adjusted by home gunsmiths such as most of us.
Tim.
agent691
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby STONEYARDER » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:20 am

Glad you got it worked out!
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Re: M6A2 Barrel Nut and Piston Op-Rod Centering

Postby Peanut » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:09 am

The best thing to do is contact CS directly and they will take care of you.
In the sport of combat, there is no second place.

Where in the hell is Easy Street!!!
Peanut

Re: M6A2 Barrel Nut and Piston Op-Rod Centering

Postby borebrush » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:40 am

The USGI barrel nut is torqued to the same specs as an M4. Since you already jumped on the issue. For future reference, insert the oprod assembly with out the cup as you apply torque. The Intermediate rod will help you align things off of the nozzle. That being said, it can be off by 3 degrees either side of center (IIRC). Once done, assemble the oprod assy fully and spin and work the oprod to insure that there are no binds.

I'd say it was fine before, or you would have had cycling issues if there was a problem.
The LWRC Armorer Instructor

"The Search Button is your friend.... not me" :P
borebrush
The Hammer

Return to FAQ