How much muzzle flash should there be

Frequently Asked Questions. Use this forum to ask and get answers to your common questions regarding both LWRCI products, or anything firearms related.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

How much muzzle flash should there be

Postby JMike » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:28 pm

I'm new to the AR-15 and rifles in general...

When I took my new 16" M6 IC enhanced to the range for the first time, about 3 or 4 of the 100 rounds I fired had large muzzle flash. Otherwise, I didn't notice any flash. I was not rapid firing. Is it to be expected that the flash hider doesn't necessarily hide every flash?

I was shooting Federal XM193 5.56 55 gr and Winchester FMJ target 5.56 55 gr. at an indoor range.

My only prior experience with a 20" AR-15 at an outdoor CMP event, so I'm not familiar with how much flash should be expected.

I should also say, the M6IC performed awesomely first time out. No failures. I can't wait to get it back on the range.

Thanks for any inputs on my flash hider performance question.
JMike
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Re: How much muzzle flash should there be

Postby van halen » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:43 pm

Interesting, which muzzle device are you running?
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby ThunderDan19 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:19 pm

Yeah, it'll vary by muzzle device (comp vs. hider) and barrel length. My 10.5" with a hider doesn't typically flash as much as my 16" OAL ACR with a compensator. Now my PLR pistol w/ 9" barrel and comp will make a fireball and rattle your teeth (hollywood style) every single time... :mrgreen:
Sic Semper Tyrannis
ThunderDan19
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby STONEYARDER » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Its funny that most people don't even notice flash even after shooting for years until they finally shoot at dusk, in a darker range or run some nighttime drills. The type of ammo you use will also affect how much muzzle flash is pronounced. Burn rate, quality of powder, etc,etc. I have even noticed differences within a 20 round box, some rounds were pronounced and others were barely noticeable. I would say what you experienced was normal. Do you have the new LWRC FH on it? I think the words flash hider are over used, it should be flash reducer...
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby JMike » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks for your replies and comments. I've got the LWRCI 4-prong flash hider.
JMike
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby rcrandall » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:59 pm

The M193 you are using is 5.56 NATO power and designed for 20 inch barrels so there is still a little unburned powder exiting the muzzle at 16 inches. Also that ammo is using a ball propellant that I am pretty sure doesn't have flash retardant. It's normal. Try it in a 10.5" barrel in low light. Exciting.
Write drunk; edit sober - Ernest Hemingway
rcrandall

Postby Sandman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:03 am

Ya, when I first got my shorty and shot it on a full auto lower at night I about shite myself. Thing was like a small flame thrower.
"the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." Martin Luther King Jr.
Sandman

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:54 pm

If you don't like the muzzle flash you can always get a suppressor. :yup:
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby JMike » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:47 pm

I wish! Unfortunately, I live in a state that does not value my hearing. No suppressors for me. Oddly enough, the state is apparently concerned about potential damage to my eyes from excessive muzzle flash, so they banned SBRs as well.
JMike
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby Chumly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:42 pm

I think it's wonderful to see that flash! I'm a civie now and that's really something new to me to witness. When it's just paper, I say let the flames go! No, I can't see for a second or two, but it sure is purdy :D

I now run a Surefire as I won't always be in Cali, but a PWS brake on a .308 seemed to be a dusk crowd pleaser as we were winding down. I know that's not a good thing if you want to actually hide flash, but it is fun to see!

Hmm...there is a lack of videos of muzzle devices and flash. I'd like a can, can't have them, so it'd be great to see really.
Chumly
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby Hogwild » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:55 pm

For the most effective flash hider: Smith Enterprises - Vortex
Hogwild
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Return to FAQ