Suppressor Mounts

Frequently Asked Questions. Use this forum to ask and get answers to your common questions regarding both LWRCI products, or anything firearms related.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Suppressor Mounts

Postby The Big Kahuna » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:59 pm

After reading a number of posts on various forums about what the best approach is in selecting a suppressor mount, I contacted both LWRC and Surefire (I have a Surefire 762 SOCOM awaiting ATF approval) and was told that it would be better to go with brake mounts rather than flash suppressor mounts, especially on SBRs. The rationale provided was that the brake will absorb more of the gas abuse and therefore reduce the abuse administered to the blast baffle on the suppressor.

If this is in fact true, could someone provide me with the physics/engineering rationale for this viewpoint? I don't understand why a brake mount would result in less blast baffle abuse than a flash mount.

Also, if you agree that there is a difference in the abuse factor.....two additional questions......1) is the difference something to worry about or is it fairly minimal, and 2) is abuse reduced as the barrel gets longer such that maybe it is wise to put brakes on SBRs and when it comes to 16"+ rifles, it doesn't matter?

Thanks for the input.
The Big Kahuna
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Re: Suppressor Mounts

Postby 66427vette » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:09 am

I have completely destroyed AAC mounts in 4000 rounds hole doubled in size. Spend the money buy the right thing for the job. Cheaper than new silencer.
Bollinger Arms
314-713-2753
FFL/SOT
bjbfirearms.com
Jon@bjbfirearms.com
Bollingerarms@gmail.com
66427vette
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby TH317 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:28 pm

My understanding is that a SBR will not burn all the propellant before it exits the muzzle. Think of that unburnt powder as sort of sand blast media, only much hotter. As that powder leaves the bore, it will strike the first perpendicular surface it meets. Over time, it will eat away at that surface. If you use a brake, IT will take the brunt of the abuse and you will have to replace a $150 component. If you use a FH, the powder will bypass the prongs and strike the "blast baffle" of your suppressor. When enough erosion occurs there your suppressor is shot, pardon the pun. That will cost you not only the price of the can, but the price of another tax stamp, too. That alone is more that the cost of the MB that you would have replaced in the first place. Someday, when I'm able to move to a land freer of Nanny State Bureaucracy, I plan on "braking' all my long guns and dedicating a suppressor to each caliber. Regardless of barrel length...
Troy

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6." - Col. Jeff Cooper

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." - John Stuart Mill
TH317
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby The Big Kahuna » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Troy - Thanks for taking the time to provide your thoughts. I guess I don't know enough about the engineering differences between a brake and flash hider. But given what I have observed and what you have indicated, am I correct in thinking that the gases and unburnt powder are hitting the insides of the brake and being redirected horizontally and at a 90 degree angle from the bullets path out of the bore......versus a flash hider where the gases and unburnt powder are just being funneled primarily forward out towards the suppressor baffles. This concept would then support the advice I was given......the brake "walls" take the first and hardest "hit" before anything reaches the baffles. Is this basically what you are thinking?
The Big Kahuna
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby TH317 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Technically they are brake baffles, not "walls", but yes, that's exactly it. Except that, theoretically, just the first baffle in the can will get chewed up pretty badly. The remaining ones would show far less wear. Again, from my understanding... The brake takes the beating and the suppressor lives a lot longer.
Troy

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." - John Stuart Mill
TH317
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby The Big Kahuna » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:06 pm

Frosty and Troy - thanks again. I think I understand this issue much better because of your feedback. Given the info, I would agree......much better to "sacrifice" a $140 brake then use a flash hider mount and more rapidly erode the blast baffle of a $2,000 suppressor!
The Big Kahuna
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Suppressor Mounts

Postby PinGorilla » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:06 pm

Why would you need to purchase a new can if it comes with a lifetime warranty? Would this not be covered?
PinGorilla
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby TH317 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:43 pm

That's a good question. I'm not at all sure how "normal" wear and tear is covered under any manufacturer's warranties. I would imagine things like baffle strikes from barrels covered under their particular warranty would be covered, but beyond that, I just don't know.
Troy

TH317
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby The Big Kahuna » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:05 pm

PinGorilla - good question and thought process. Quite honestly I never thought too deeply about the "Limited Lifetime Warranty" promise. I haven't found too many warranties worth their salt, they always seem to have fine print that negates the warranty promises. However, your thought intrigued me so I dug deeper and had a long discussion with Surefire Technical Support and Customer Service.

To make a long story short, their (Surefire) view is that while a Brake mount should somewhat reduce the abuse on the blast baffle, to them it doesn't matter whether the customer uses a Brake or Flash Hider. They feel their suppressors are made to easily handle high abuse with over 50,000 rounds through them and they will fix or replace the core if something goes wrong/bad. The only time they would not fix any issue without cost is if there was user abuse. They gave me an example of a user not properly attaching the suppressor to the mount and the can getting blown off the rifle when a round is shot. The can flies down range and the baffles get torn up.

The Technical Support staff member said this warranty view doesn't change for SBRs either. Even in the case of their SOCOM 7.62 RC Suppressor which they recommend not being used on a barrel shorter than 10 inches. They said that using it on a <10 inch 556 SBR would still be covered....to them it was the same as using their SOCOM 556 SB which was specifically designed for short barrels. Both were a larger bore suppressor on a smaller round......not a problem.

Lastly, the Tech Support guy told me that yes, a brake mount will probably absorb slightly more of the abuse than a flash hider, but their cans were so well made that it didn't matter to them. He advised that users should go with whatever mount they prefer when not using a suppressor because to them, it didn't matter one bit when the suppressor was on the gun.

So, for what its worth, that's the information that was conveyed.
The Big Kahuna
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby Quick » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:16 pm

I spoke to a rep in 2013 and was told that they were not having any issue with the surfire cans on psd's as they had tested them.
Quick
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby xgame2k » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:28 pm

^____this is why i made my socom 762 mini purchase.
xgame2k
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby PinGorilla » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:20 pm

Nice follow up Kahuna.
PinGorilla
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Return to FAQ