Larry Vickers HK416 & HK MR556 Review

Write a review on LWRC or other manufacturers' products.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Larry Vickers HK416 & HK MR556 Review

Postby PinGorilla » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:16 pm

On his Facebook page he states the HK 416 is "clearly the best" piston M4variant. I made a simple comment stating I disagree along with the LWRC IC being a better rifle. Shortly after one can imagine the hate I received by stating such heresy. I don't hate on HK as I have owned a USP and a VP9. But what lead me to LWRC years ago was my want to own an HK rifle. During this spirit walk I came to the conclusion that LWRC was a better option as HK was not doing much for the US civilian market at the time. Needless to say I have stuck with LWRC since then and never took another look at an HK rifle.

I really don't believe I am being biased towards LWRC but the IC is a better rifle than the HK AR line. Is it me or are these HK fanboys naive?
PinGorilla
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Re: Larry Vickers HK416 & HK MR556 Review

Postby civiliansheepdog » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Larry is definitively biased due to his involvement in the creation of the HK 416. HK fanboys are just that, fanboys. There isn't another way to describe being so blindly loyal to a company who has shite for CS and isn't interested in the civilian side of the house. Its best to not even try to comment on certain issues and HK is right up there.

I would say its interesting how much Larry is jumping all over the place...from DD to BCM back to HK. Whatever pays the bills, I guess.
"Our cause is just; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than to live slaves." - Thomas Jefferson
"Training should be like a bloodless battle, so that battle is like bloody training." - TigerSwan
civiliansheepdog
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby Trooper3785 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:07 pm

When I became an HK armorer way back when........

I asked my armorer instructors where and how do we order parts..........

Call HKPRO..........

I sold anything and everything that was HK.
Trooper3785
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Nobody makes a pistol like HK. Anyone who disagrees has never held a MK23 or a P7. And I have had nothing but exceptional service out of Trussville. Are there sometimes importation issues that crop up when dealing with a foreign held company? Sure.

That being said, LWRC makes a superior rifle for far less money and is right here in the USA. That's why I own a bunch of Ldubs and zero HK rifles. And this is from an obvious HK fanboy.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby Quick » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:34 pm

I too buy hk pistols, but LWRC rifles. Funny this should come up again. I recently took a Search down memory lane here, and looked back at Announcements statements. You gotta go way back, but you'll find he discusses what they did when engineering these weapons and how they differ from said hk. In short if your going with a piston operated AR, LWRC has built a better design. Made in America, by Americans, for Americans :flag: ...and now the middle east. Kind of like FUBU (for us by us). Your in the right place,
:thumbsup:
Quick
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby USMC91-99 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:51 am

Disclaimer - I am a HUGE HK fanboy but I am also set in reality.

I waited and waited and waited for HK to release the HK416 as a civilian model and about 4 years later we had the MR556. That was too long for me so I started down the path of researching other piston ARs and eventually LWRC was the best logical choice for me and my $$. HK is notorious for being late to the civilian market with its products but its focus is military and LEO contract vs. civilian sales. The HK riles are awesome but came to market too late for me. I might have missed something too but I don't think there have been any significant improvements in the platform that competes to the FENRIR.

Like a few other guys before me said - their pistols are just lights out. Love them and won't trade them for anything but I'll say the same for my LWRC rifles. I have the REPR, the FENRIR, and an M6A2. Now I just have to figure out if I am going to keep my UMP conversion or get the new SMG 45 in a year or so :lol:
USMC91-99
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby Norm » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:17 am

My only wish is that HK had a custom shop like Sig and was willing to have different trigger options such a short reset/match triggers. I find myself not real happy with the P30 trigger and am finding that HK won't alter it and neither will any local respected gunsmiths mainly because they claim they cannot get parts from HK. Oh well, it's still a fine pistol but wish I could customize it. As for rifles we already own the best..
Norm
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby USMC91-99 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:37 am

Norm wrote:My only wish is that HK had a custom shop like Sig and was willing to have different trigger options such a short reset/match triggers. I find myself not real happy with the P30 trigger and am finding that HK won't alter it and neither will any local respected gunsmiths mainly because they claim they cannot get parts from HK. Oh well, it's still a fine pistol but wish I could customize it. As for rifles we already own the best..

Bruce Grey from Grey Guns is a very well known HKsmith who people send factory HK to all the time for trigger jobs.
USMC91-99
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby Norm » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:09 am

Thanks! I did stumble upon his website but Jesus his wait time is 14-16 weeks. Maybe my only option.
Norm
Rank 5 Captain ★★★★★

Postby PinGorilla » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Norm wrote:Thanks! I did stumble upon his website but Jesus his wait time is 14-16 weeks. Maybe my only option.

I had a USPc I sent to their shop a few years ago. I got it back about 3 months later. I was impressed with the work they did. Since then I sold my USP to fund my VP9.
PinGorilla
Rank 4 Lieutenant ★★★★

Postby Campy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:56 pm

Bruce Grey is the way to go.
LWRC M6-IC
HK P30 9mm
HK45 Full size
Colt Defender 45
Campy
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby USMC91-99 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:11 pm

I haven't been over to HKPro in a long time (socially anyways). You might find someone who doesn't have quite a long of a wait time but not 100% sure it will be as good as Bruce's work.
USMC91-99
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby kwang » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:32 am

I'm also a HK fan boy, but since switching to LWRC... I'm totally convinced this rifle system is better for me, still love my HK pistols.
kwang
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Return to Reviews and Feedback