Play between upper & lower receivers

Write a review on LWRC or other manufacturers' products.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Play between upper & lower receivers

Postby rgrsmith » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:25 am

As a new lwrc m6a2 spr mod o 5.56 16.1 inch barrel gas piston operated I am concerned about the amount of play between my upper & lower receiver. To all lwrc owners is my concern justified & what would you all recommend I do. I love the rifle but having paid the price I feel that this play could come into play on my accuracy as I shoot the rifle more. Having served in the Army Infantry for 8 yrs I have never come across this much play but then again I may have not paid any attention on the play on the M-16's I used while in the Infantry especially the one I had in Viet Nam serving as a LRRP. All opinions welcome. Should I be concerned? Respectfully rgrsmith
rgrsmith
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Re: Play between upper & lower receivers

Postby HardEight » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:48 am

How much play is in it? There is typically some in all at forged receivers. The new ambi lowers have a take up screw under the pistol grip to take up slack. If you don't have the ambi lower you could always give an Accuwedge a shot.
HardEight
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby Sandman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:22 am

Some play is normal and has no effect on the weapons accuracy at any range. That being said, I understand it's a personal preference and some folks like to have a super tight lockup. If that's the case a HardEight gives sound advice.
"the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." Martin Luther King Jr.
Sandman

Postby rgrsmith » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:14 am

Thanks for the info. It's not very much play but my credit card fits tightly & I have to use some force to pull the card out. It seems that I shouldn't worry unless it becomes real excessive. I really like the rifle & it really shoots excellent. I can't say enough about the gas piston system verses the gas impringement system. I also own a S & W M&P 15 5.56 & it shoots excellent too. It is 1 in 9 twist where as the lwrc is 1 in 7 twist. Both have 16 inch barrels This really is a great place to get educated on issues of the lwrc product especially if you're new to the ownership of a lwrc. I love both rifles & both have a heavy duty BCG which impresses me especially rememberin the bolt I had in my M-16 in Nam. Thanks again really appreciate you alls information. Respectfully rgrsmith. Again Thank you!!!!!
rgrsmith
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby boxerdog » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:45 am

I just got done writing a post in the REPR section and I have the same concern with my gun. There is about a .009 gap between the top of the lower receiver and bottom of the upper and about .015 between the back of the upper and the part of the lower where the buffer tube screws in. There also seems to be a lot of "Wiggle". When I adjusted the tension screw it just backed out after I started shooting. Im new to lwrc so I cant tell you if this is normal for their guns or not but I HATE having play between the upper and lower.
boxerdog
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby STONEYARDER » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:02 am

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12355

Another way to remove the play if you don't have an adjustment screw is to have the upper and lower Cerakoted.
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Postby rgrsmith » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:02 pm

First let me apologize for asking a what seems to be a very repetitive question. Since this was my first LWRC I only wanted to know about the play since the technology has changed a lot since I carried the M16. I have shot my weapon & man does it shoots accurate & I don't seem to feel any recoil like I did with my m16(very little). I have shot my M6A2 Model O 5.56 SPR with no problems & simply consider this the best of ARs. I no longer worry about the play because I know now the many reasons for the play. I would like to THANK all of those that took the time to respond to my question. I am now wanting to buy another LWRC.
rgrsmith
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby LoganBetterton » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:49 am

rgrsmith wrote:As a new lwrc m6a2 spr mod o 5.56 16.1 inch barrel gas piston operated I am concerned about the amount of play between my upper & lower receiver. To all lwrc owners is my concern justified & what would you all recommend I do. I love the rifle but having paid the price I feel that this play could come into play on my accuracy as I shoot the rifle more. Having served in the Army Infantry for 8 yrs I have never come across this much play but then again I may have not paid any attention on the play on the M-16's I used while in the Infantry especially the one I had in Viet Nam serving as a LRRP. All opinions welcome. Should I be concerned? Respectfully rgrsmith

Thank you for your service! I hope your enjoying the rifle. The play can be adjusted, via the screw in the lower receiver as mentioned. you will not experience and issues unless there is a ton of play between the upper and lower. Do you have an "M6A2-SPR" (older, non ambi model) or an "IC-SPR"? If its an older model like the M6A2-SPR it probably just needs a little tightening.
-LWRCi Logan
Email me here: LBetterton@LWRCI.com

LoganBetterton

Postby Kevlar129 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:33 pm

I'm not too concerned about play between the upper and lower receivers, just like I'm not concerned about play between the slide and frame of a 1911. For me, it's more important that the optics, BUIS, barrel, and upper receiver have a solid fit. ;)
Kevlar129
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Postby rgrsmith » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:25 pm

I have become the PROUD owner of another LWRC AR 15. It is a piece of art. It's the M6 IC SPR cerakoted 5.56 cal. I have not fired it yet but if it is like the first LWRC I bought it will last a lifetime.THANK YOU LWRC for making such a quality weapon. I love the first one I bought the M6A2 MOD O 5.56 SPR. Can't wait to get back to the range with both to put some rounds down range. THANK YOU LWRC !!!!!!!
rgrsmith
Rank 1 Newbie ★

Return to Reviews and Feedback