Modified LWRC Railskins for an SPR

Write a review on LWRC or other manufacturers' products.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Modified LWRC Railskins for an SPR

Postby STONEYARDER » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:08 am

Inspired by A.J's rifle and Chaining's KAC panel's I decided to install/fabricate my own set up for my SPR. I have been thinking about this for a while and after burning my hand again last week after sending a lot of rounds down range in the summer heat I decided to go for it. First off I took the railskin locking clamp off then cut off the end with an electric miter saw to give me a good square end. I used a razor knife to shave off the nubs then I took a sheet of 120 grit sandpaper to sand the ends flush and round off the corners.
DSCN1841.JPG
DSCN1841.JPG (160.31 KiB) Viewed 13804 times

One of the main goals was to keep the low profile of the rail so I needed to remove the side hooks that keep the railskin on the picitanny rail. If you add rail segments and railskins to an SPR it ends up being just like an A2 fore end which totally negates the point of the SPR rail in my opinion. I ended up taking a variable speed belt sander (80 grit belt) and flipping it over I simply slid it into my vice and clamped it down to make a type of table sander. Variable speed is the key here, turning the speed down so it doesn't rip the piece out of your hand is important and gloves are highly recommended. It worked like charm. Take a little at a time and keep inspecting it until you get to the right depth. I checked them against the SPR rail several times to make sure I took off just the right amount.
DSCN1851.JPG
DSCN1851.JPG (172.23 KiB) Viewed 13804 times

DSCN1847.JPG
DSCN1847.JPG (208.48 KiB) Viewed 13804 times

Next I took some measurements from the rail segments to the first hole and added a 1/16" to put a little space between the two. Take your time here and triple check your numbers. The first hole is a 1/2" from the end then its 1- 3/16 center to center on the rail holes. I scribed a line down the center of the bottom of the railskin then simply laid out my numbers to give me my marks to drill. Use a prick punch or a small nail to give yourself a place to guide the drill bit otherwise it will drift a little across the plastic. The holes really need to be lined up well so they line up good on the rail. I need to add that you have to watch the orientation of the covers. The LWRC logo needs to go towards the muzzle for maximum grip because the scales on them are pointing in the same direction and will allow for a better final grip on the rifle. I drilled out the holes with a 3/16" bit then at first I used a counter sink bit by hand but later found out a 5/16"(sharp) bit makes a great counter sink hole. I had to still turn it by hand because a drill would blow right through it since the skin is only about 3/16 of an inch thick. You just have to go slow and keep checking the depth by dropping a screw in every now and then.
Last edited by STONEYARDER on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Whenever tyranny has reigned in history, the people were disarmed first.
“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson
"The US government is at war with the American people" - The Patriot
STONEYARDER

Re: Modified LWRC Railskins for an SPR

Postby STONEYARDER » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:10 am

DSCN1852.JPG
DSCN1852.JPG (161.18 KiB) Viewed 13803 times

DSCN1857.JPG
DSCN1857.JPG (88.55 KiB) Viewed 13803 times

Next I did the sides; this is a little tougher since my goal was to have access to the piston system without having to remove the rail covers. Remember to orientate the logo towards the barrel and you can determine the left and right sides. They ended up having to be a little off center to allow the top rail to be removed. I set them on the rail while holding the rifle in my hand and checked for clearance( I had to sand down the backside that faces up a little more so the rail would come off) then put a mark on the edge of the skin to give me a place to draw a center line on the backside. Then I just followed my numbers from above and copied what I did on the bottom skin. As a carpenter I try to pay attention to details but I also had to keep reminding myself that my rifle wasn't going to be on the cover of SWAT magazine next month! Having patience and taking your time is really the key. For my first time I think they turned out pretty good. I made a few minor mistakes but that's ok. A big thank you goes out to Rodney for sending me the Torx rail screws at no charge. I had called to verify the screw size before I was going to order them from Fastenal and he was curious as to what I was doing and offered to shoot them to me for free! Thanks Rodney! In total I messed around with it for a few days but if I add up the actual time spent it was around 2-3 hours. The first time is usually the longest since you're doing it from scratch. If I had to do it again I could probably bust out a set in about an hour. Tomorrow I will take the screws out and re-loctite them again for the last time. The grip is really nice and this method allowed me to keep the low profile of the SPR rail. The sides are one hole forward compared to the bottom. I decided to keep the forward rail piece as is, just in case I decide to move the hand stop in the future. If you have a set of railskins lying around and have an SPR maybe you will be inspired as well.
All I need now is a H1 on a Larue tall mount and it will be finished, kind of. I do plan on an ambi lower down the line.

DSCN1854.JPG
DSCN1854.JPG (150.96 KiB) Viewed 13803 times
Last edited by STONEYARDER on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
STONEYARDER

Postby STONEYARDER » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:11 am

A few more pics...
DSCN1856.JPG
DSCN1856.JPG (97.14 KiB) Viewed 13802 times

DSCN1858.JPG
DSCN1858.JPG (172.62 KiB) Viewed 13803 times

DSCN1859.JPG
DSCN1859.JPG (147.84 KiB) Viewed 13803 times
STONEYARDER

Postby STONEYARDER » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:25 am

And finally! :mrgreen:
DSCN1860.JPG
DSCN1860.JPG (140.15 KiB) Viewed 13802 times
STONEYARDER

Postby tommys229 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:17 am

Good work, bro. I like it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
tommys229
Rank 7 Colonel ★★★★★★★

Postby skeets » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:16 pm

Nice job! Finished product looks great.
Uh, do you know you've grown an extra toe?
Swear allegiance to the flag, whatever flag they offer, and let them tell you what you really feel. Teach the children quietly, for someday sons and daughters, will rise up and fight while we stood still.-"Silent Running"
skeets
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby STONEYARDER » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys! Yeah they don't call me six toe for nothin :mrgreen:
Actually the glass on the table is beveled on the ends. You guys don't miss nothing, do you. :yeah:
STONEYARDER

Postby Xrokroasta » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:17 pm

What hand stop is that? Did I miss it in your review?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

- Thomas Jefferson
Xrokroasta
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby STONEYARDER » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:35 pm

You didn't miss it, it wasn't part of the review. It was originally made by Danger close but now I believe Low Pro bought the design. http://amsmachine.net/product-list/grips/

I chose it over the Ergo, KAC, Gear Sector and Cadex hand stops. Its a great piece of gear, good ergos and low profile.
Last edited by STONEYARDER on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
STONEYARDER

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Stoney, top drawer, man. Looks nice and more importantly I bet it works great. I'm still scratching my head over why LWRC doesn't offer this exact thing, just mass produced. They could price a set of three at $30 or $40 and probably sell as many as they do rifles with the SPR/REPR rail.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby van halen » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Agreed, should be an available accessory.

Stony, you Sir, are crafty.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby TH317 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:12 pm

Stone, those are shit-hot, brother! I thought there was a plan for direct mount rail panels when the REPR was introduced. These really should be a bit of a priority for LDub's R'n'D team, I would think. Wink... Wink...
Troy

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6." - Col. Jeff Cooper

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." - John Stuart Mill
TH317
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby Xrokroasta » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:23 am

Thanks for the link, man that looks good. May have to try the rail skin approach... as stated above, I just wish the rail panels on the wallpaper of the PSD would become available... LW... we have money in hand, please just take our money!!!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

- Thomas Jefferson
Xrokroasta
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby STONEYARDER » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:36 am

Thanks, TH,Eddie, Elvis,Roc... I couldn't agree more with you guys and actually I have held off making these for quite some time in hopes for the release of some factory rail panels. Watch, they will get released next week. :mrgreen:
STONEYARDER

Postby van halen » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:59 am

Had about the same idea just no extra time to try it.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Next

Return to Reviews and Feedback