Viper Bore Snake

Write a review on LWRC or other manufacturers' products.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Viper Bore Snake

Postby .Spooky. » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Don't know if anyone on this forum uses them, but I decided to pick one up from my local Bass Pro and give it a shot.

I bought the "new and improved" Viper bore snake for .22, .223 (5.56) took it home and tried running it through the barrel. To my horror it lodged itself in the barrel of my SPR and would not budge despite how hard I pulled. I resorted to pulling the bore snake back out the the way I had inserted it (no sexual innuendo intended), and after literally pulling with about 75% of my strength I finally had it removed. Angry, I boxed it back up and returned to the store to exchange the Viper Bore Snake for the original bore snake. Tried the original and it worked flawlessly. Got online to see if anyone else had my problems and it turns out that just about everyone that used the 5.56 Viper Bore Snake got it lodged in their barrels, some to the extent that it required a gunsmith to remove it.

So this is just a little heads up to be very wary of this product. You have been warned.
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.

-George Washington
.Spooky.
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Re: Viper Bore Snake

Postby Xrokroasta » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks man. I'll stick with my Otis and regular bore snake.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

- Thomas Jefferson
Xrokroasta
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby tommys229 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:19 pm

I have the 40 cal and 308viper bore snake. Both work for me just fine. Mine 556 bore snake is the original
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
tommys229
Rank 7 Colonel ★★★★★★★

Postby TH317 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:39 pm

I use the two piece one for semi-auto .22's. It works great for anything with a .22 Dia. bore. Thanks for the heads-up on the Viper.
Troy

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6." - Col. Jeff Cooper

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." - John Stuart Mill
TH317
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby johnschimmel » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:46 pm

I've noticed the same thing with my viper bore snakes. For me the .308 and .40 worked fine, but 9mm and .223 both get stuck. There is a seam that is larger than the bore diameter. Depending on how it is being pulled it can expand and get stuck. Usually if I pull it part way back it will straighten out and pull through, but I've just given up using them.
johnschimmel
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby .Spooky. » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Just to clarify I am not speaking on any other caliber of Viper Bore Snakes except for .22, .223, 5.56. I have no experience with the other calibers, but it seems some of you do and have had success with them.
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.

-George Washington
.Spooky.
Rank 3 Chief ★★★

Postby Flying Sergeant » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:25 am

Huge! Thanks man.
, just bought one, i'll be taking it back
Flying Sergeant
Rank 2 Private ★★

Return to Reviews and Feedback