KAC direct mount URXIII panels and the SPR/REPR forend...

Write a review on LWRC or other manufacturers' products.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

KAC direct mount URXIII panels and the SPR/REPR forend...

Postby chainring » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Posted this in the General Discussion area, too, as many folks don't wander into the Review area very often....but it's really most appropriate here.

After getting to play with a KAC rifle that had the URXIII forend and panels early this year, I was primed to get some as soon as they became available and see if they would work for my SPR, etc.

First off, they come with mounting bolts that are WAY too big - look like 1/4-20 bolts, but impressively beefy stuff. As it happened, I had some big flat head 8/32 bolts in my kydex moulding gear that were a perfect solution for mounting the KAC panels to the LWRC forend holes.

Second, the KAC rail profile is higher (and slightly wider) than the LWRC rail footprint. This required that I remove some material from each edge of the rail panels where they turn back in toward the vents of the forend. The bottom panels are symmetrical and ground away quickly. The long side panels have a longer lip at the bottom to bring the panel surface closer to the bottom panel for a better feel - this wider lip will take more time to dress down as there is more material to remove. However, this was easily accomplished on the flat platen of my KMG, but a regular belt sander or even a flat rasp would make this possible..albeit more time consuming.

Once the edges were dressed back enough for the mounting surfaces to mate up, the long side panels were just a bolt-on fit. Amazingly, the holes at each end matched the SPR/REPR forend hole spacing. I will be removing the side panels one more time and dressing the top edges back just enough to allow removal of the forend top cover without having to remove the KAC panels.

As for the bottom panel/handstop, the hole spacing did NOT line up. This required that I drill and tap a new 8/32 hole for the tail end of the handstop....but with the right size drill, tap, some cutting fluid or WD40 and a light touch, that wasn't hard.

On the left side of the forend, I substituted a regular QD cup and a countersunk bolt for the large flat head. By beveling the bottom of the QD cup just a little on a bench grinder, it was a press fit into the recess of the KAC panel. Boom, low drag sling mount. Just forward of my hand when I want to just walk along with the SPR balanced in one hand and just back of my hand when gripping the forend and shooting. Only drawback is that the QD cup is NOT rotation limited, but I can live with that.

The KAC kit that I got was about $45 shipped from Operation Parts here:
http://www.operationparts.com/ProductDe ... Code=30410

If a fella wanted just grippy panels with no handstop or drilling/tapping, it might be worth getting two kits and using three of the long panels. I'm sure somebody would buy the rest of the parts, which would offset some of the cost.

The KAC panels are a fantastic additon to the SPR/REPR forend. However, some assembly IS required! :lol:

It would be really nice if the LWRC guys ran with the direct mount cover concept and made a factory available version. As usual with LWRC, I'm sure it would be a refinement. 'Til then, the KAC panels, modded, are a good alternative.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
--Frank Outlaw
chainring
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Re: KAC direct mount URXIII panels and the SPR/REPR forend..

Postby datsthat » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Wow! that looks awesome and I bet it feels just as good if not better than it looks. Thank you for this post! I am looking to do something similar to a SPR and this gives me a lot of ideas.
LWRC M6 Mod 0 SPR Patriot Brown 5.56 16"
LWRC SSP FDE 16" (pre 2008)
datsthat
Rank 2 Private ★★

Return to Reviews and Feedback