Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 EBR-1 MRAD

Write a review on LWRC or other manufacturers' products.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 EBR-1 MRAD

Postby andreys21 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:24 pm

I recently purchased this Vortex scope along with a LaRue SPR-1.5 QD Mount on July 6. Illuminated reticule, nice glass, good eye relief. No Parallax Adjustment. After bringing it home and mounting on my rifle, looking through I noticed a spec of something on the glass or reticule. It was not exterior dirt. I contacted Vortex late Friday evening and got a response on Monday. They had a label ready for shipping the scope back to them. I zeroed the scope before Monday and after putting 30 rounds of 6.8mm through my rifle @ 50yds, the dirt was gone. I was glad that I didn't have to send it in right after I got it.

FAST FORWARD . . .

TODAY, I took a buddy of mine to get his .308 Savage sighted in and I brought my Six-Eight with the Vortex Scope to show it off to him. As soon as I started to shoot, I was surprised not to see me making any holes @ 50yds. I moved down to 25yds and found out my rifle was shooting VERY HIGH + FAR RIGHT off target. Attempting to DOPE in, my turrets bottomed out with me being off target by 4" high and 4" right @ 25yds. I think the scope got busted on the way to the range in my trunk. I'm going to contact Vortex again and send it off for repair. Should I be very disappointed or is this typical for throwing my rifle around in my trunk? Is it a mount issue? The gunsmith tightened it down to 25 inch/lbs.

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:
I am a gun hater who reports you as "Domestic Terrorist" to Uncle Sam. My house is a Gun-Free Zone.
"Yeah, thank God for slow moving zombies.....the fast ones suck." - rcrandall.
andreys21
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Re: Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 EBR-1 MRAD

Postby TH317 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Did you have the rifle/scope cased in your trunk, of just floatin' around back there bouncin' off the spare tire and jack and whatnot? I doubt it is a mount issue. LaRue is pretty forgiving equipment. But if it was uncased and it slammed up against something back there, anything's possible...

Either way, doesn't mater from my standpoint. There was something floatin' 'round inside your scope from the get go. It should be sent back to the manufacturer and cleared out anyway. Maybe your scope was built on a Friday and something was overlooked on the way out the door. It happens...
Troy

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6." - Col. Jeff Cooper

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." - John Stuart Mill
TH317
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby andreys21 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:58 am

TH317 wrote:Did you have the rifle/scope cased in your trunk, of just floatin' around back there bouncin' off the spare tire and jack and whatnot? I doubt it is a mount issue. LaRue is pretty forgiving equipment. But if it was uncased and it slammed up against something back there, anything's possible...

Either way, doesn't mater from my standpoint. There was something floatin' 'round inside your scope from the get go. It should be sent back to the manufacturer and cleared out anyway. Maybe your scope was built on a Friday and something was overlooked on the way out the door. It happens...

I just had it floating around with another rifle, banging about probably. I think the scope on the other rifle loses zero as well (Nikon 3-9x ProStaff) or my buddy and I just start flinching after 10 rounds each of .308. The damn Savage kicks like a mule and the accu-trigger on it is like surprise sucker punch every time, really hard to anticipate. We are both i pain.
I am a gun hater who reports you as "Domestic Terrorist" to Uncle Sam. My house is a Gun-Free Zone.
andreys21
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby TH317 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:55 am

Neither scope should loose zero so easily. I would recommend getting them both looked at. Then get yourself a couple of well padded cases for transportation purposes. Banging your gear around in the field is one thing. Beating the hell out of it on the way to the range is not such a good idea, IMHO.
Troy

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6." - Col. Jeff Cooper

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." - John Stuart Mill
TH317
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby andreys21 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:39 pm

TH317 wrote:Neither scope should loose zero so easily. I would recommend getting them both looked at. Then get yourself a couple of well padded cases for transportation purposes. Banging your gear around in the field is one thing. Beating the hell out of it on the way to the range is not such a good idea, IMHO.

Will do, Thank you.
andreys21
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby andreys21 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Just got the Scope back yesterday. Vortex claims there was nothing wrong with the scope and I believe them. Must have loosened up the rings or something with all that banging in the trunk.
andreys21
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby andreys21 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:42 pm

UPDATE:

Scope mounted and zeroed I was able to produce 1-1.50 MOA groups @ 100yds with my 6.8 A2 w/ SSA Trigger , SSA 115gr OTM, prone with a bipod on less than perfect surface; hard rocky ground bipod kept slipping forward and I had the shakes from antibiotics/Vicodin for my recent tonsillitis. I'll keep you updated on any more issues that come up.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (461.69 KiB) Viewed 6801 times
Last edited by andreys21 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
andreys21
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby chainring » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:49 pm

For what it's worth, USO has specs in the reticle periodically, from what I've read. The recommendation is to pound it on a phone book or just go shoot and the specs usually disappear. Which is kinda weird...but whatever. Vortex is commonly reviewed very well for the optic AND their CS, so I bet you'll be OK in the long run. I'd definitely get a decent BFG or Safariland case for it, though.
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
--Frank Outlaw
chainring
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby HillbillyfromAL » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:48 am

I'll bet the loss of zero was related to related to the rings. A decent torque wrench and the factory recommended 12/18in lbs on the scope would be the place to start. Some "Gunsmiths" are in the habit of just throwing them on with a bit driver and saying here you go. For a surprisingly large part of shooters min of pie plate is good enough, they would have never noticed the change. Also be sure to use the zero stop if I read that as a PST. Having it where it can slide around could turn the turrets.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
HillbillyfromAL
Rank 2 Private ★★

Return to Reviews and Feedback