Troy Tomahawk 5.56 butt stock on m6a2 sbr

Write a review on LWRC or other manufacturers' products.

Moderators: STONEYARDER, van halen, jbour13, notaposer, LWRC-Jarred

Troy Tomahawk 5.56 butt stock on m6a2 sbr

Postby Engage » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Hi,
I installed a troy tomahawk stock on my m6a2 recently.

Looks cool and it makes the overall length of the rifle about 2"s short which is what i was going for.

Haven't gottin out to shoot it yet since the install.

It uses a proprietary buffer that partially fits into the back of the bolt carrier so i'm hoping it functions just as well as it always has. Splitting the receiver was a bit tricky but it's no sweat now.

Has anyone had any experience with this stock? How does it function?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (997.75 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
The only reward is honor, not awards.
Engage
Rank 2 Private ★★

Re: Troy Tomahawk 5.56 butt stock on m6a2 sbr

Postby Engage » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:14 pm

Here's a less crappy photo
Attachments
lwrc sbr2.JPG
lwrc sbr2.JPG (153.34 KiB) Viewed 3949 times
Engage
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby van halen » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:26 am

Pretty schweet.
I'll just sit here quietly and play with my new rail panels...........
van halen
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby Engage » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:39 pm

Update on this combination.

The rifle functioned with no issue while firing pmc(i think) or federal .223 which was nice. Seems like a great stock for someone running a carbine with a standard buffer. Provides an actual cheek weld for making the collapsed length almost 2" shorter.

However when I put my Gemtech G-5 on it, things went down hill quick, the rifle would not cycle properly.
First round fired and the second round cycled in properly, upon firing the second round there was a failure to properly eject the second round and a failure to feed of the third round. The second round basically stove piped and the third round chambered like half way. Upon clearing the rifle the unchambered third round had been dented half way down it's shell casing and it my opinion rendered unsafe to fire.

I went into the range day a bit skeptical but my friend suggested I clear the rifle and give it a second chance. I did however the exact same series of events happened so off the stock goes and back to my magpul UBR.
Engage
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby rcrandall » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Good info, thanks.
Write drunk; edit sober - Ernest Hemingway
rcrandall

Postby bastardsonofelvis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:18 pm

Engage wrote:Update on this combination.

The rifle functioned with no issue while firing pmc(i think) or federal .223 which was nice. Seems like a great stock for someone running a carbine with a standard buffer. Provides an actual cheek weld for making the collapsed length almost 2" shorter.

However when I put my Gemtech G-5 on it, things went down hill quick, the rifle would not cycle properly.
First round fired and the second round cycled in properly, upon firing the second round there was a failure to properly eject the second round and a failure to feed of the third round. The second round basically stove piped and the third round chambered like half way. Upon clearing the rifle the unchambered third round had been dented half way down it's shell casing and it my opinion rendered unsafe to fire.

I went into the range day a bit skeptical but my friend suggested I clear the rifle and give it a second chance. I did however the exact same series of events happened so off the stock goes and back to my magpul UBR.

Meh. How you gonna knock somebody's teeth out with that thing anyway? UBR is studly.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
bastardsonofelvis
Rank 8 General ★★★★★★★★

Postby Engage » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:38 pm

bastardsonofelvis wrote:
Meh. How you gonna knock somebody's teeth out with that thing anyway? UBR is studly.

Word.

The big ass barrel on this thing WITH the UBR makes it a heafty little guy.

Using the stock H2 buffer the rifle runs like a boss suppressed or unsuppressed. The lack of buffer flexibility in that Troy Tomahawk stock is its downfall.
Attachments
M6A2 can small image.jpg
M6A2 can small image.jpg (165.43 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
Engage
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby ThunderDan19 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:56 pm

Can't really go wrong with a Magpul product. Is the UBR longer than an CTR or is it just an illusion in the pic?
Sic Semper Tyrannis
ThunderDan19
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Postby LoganBetterton » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:20 am

As much as I like PDW stock systems, they aren't exactly "a blast" to shoot especially on anything over like 10.5" or so. Adding a suppressor will also add additional weight to the front so the rifle's weight will all be concentrated toward the front . They most definitely make things as compact as possible though.
-LWRCi Logan
Email me here: LBetterton@LWRCI.com

LoganBetterton

Postby Engage » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:59 pm

ThunderDan19 wrote:Can't really go wrong with a Magpul product. Is the UBR longer than an CTR or is it just an illusion in the pic?

Let's answer that. The CTR is on my SAGE M1A stock that I haven't been building for like 4 years...

My LWRCI weighs in at 7lb12oz on my postal scale in it's current configuration with the UBR.

Sorry the photo wasn't taken sideways, my cpu likes to flip things if I take pics with my Iphone straight up.
Attachments
IMG_8111.JPG
IMG_8111.JPG (137.85 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
Engage
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby Engage » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:12 pm

LoganBetterton wrote:As much as I like PDW stock systems, they aren't exactly "a blast" to shoot especially on anything over like 10.5" or so. Adding a suppressor will also add additional weight to the front so the rifle's weight will all be concentrated toward the front . They most definitely make things as compact as possible though.

Never really experienced one until the troy I bought and a buddy at my local shop was pretty analytical with his comparison of the Troy i have to other pdw stocks and he seemed to like it. The troy seems like a good blend between the full on ones and a regular carbine stock because it gives you a shorter collapsed length AND a legit cheek weld. The lack of buffer mods is where it falls short.

Thinking as I type right now I guess I could have experimented with stiffer aftermarket buffer springs, but that's usually how things go for me. IMO the M6A2 is too good as is to mess with in that regard, I'll probably put the Tomahawk on the 14.5" DI build i'm working on and see how it goes.

FYI the Troy Tomahawk (with spring and buffer) weights 1lb1.5oz. 10.4oz without the buffer and spring.
Engage
Rank 2 Private ★★

Postby ThunderDan19 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:29 pm

Engage wrote:
ThunderDan19 wrote:Can't really go wrong with a Magpul product. Is the UBR longer than an CTR or is it just an illusion in the pic?

Let's answer that. The CTR is on my SAGE M1A stock that I haven't been building for like 4 years...

My LWRCI weighs in at 7lb12oz on my postal scale in it's current configuration with the UBR.

Sorry the photo wasn't taken sideways, my cpu likes to flip things if I take pics with my Iphone straight up.

Not by much, but my eyes were not deceiving me. Huzzah!
Sic Semper Tyrannis
ThunderDan19
Rank 6 Major ★★★★★★

Return to Reviews and Feedback